• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting Roland To Print White Ink?

Stickyfan

Hi, our company is looking to purchase either a used Roland SP540v or SJ540EX. Both machines use CMYKLcLm, but I'd like to convert them to print white ink.

Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, what were your results? I've heard it's possible, but can't find anything about it on this forum or anywhere else online. The VS series is great, but a little too expensive to buy brand new.

I'm new to printing, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

CS-SignSupply

The SP540v uses 6 colors? Maybe an SC540/545/EX

Converting from a previous inkset like CMYKLcLm to CMYKWW is not recommended and specifically warned against via Roland.

I am sure it is 'possible' but you will need to weigh the risk of replacing parts/lines/pumps/etc.

jasonx

And if you could summarize your experience..... ?

Before we got this setup we were told it would be a pain heads would clog etc. But we had a need for white on clear self adhesive. We haven't replaced a white head in three years as of yet.

The downfalls are that the full ink renewal takes about 20 minutes. This has been fixed on the new MT model and the VS line with white with the ink recirculation system.

The cartridges do need to be shaked daily before use or you might up with an inconsistent white. Our machine does waste abit of white ink for ink flushing and the such.

Overall we are pretty happy with the outcome and happy with the machine. The ink reciculation system would be a bonus on the newer models and save abit of head ache.

Any other specific questions please ask.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
In short, neither of the two machines you are looking at were designed to run white. The SC-545EX and XC-540 were available with white, but it was a choice that had to be made at the time of install. If you can find a used one that has been running white, it will be your best option.

As JasonX pointed out, with proper maintenance, those machines can be a good solution, but the development of the ink recirculation system on the VS series and XC-540MT has resulted in dramatically reduced ink use for maintenance and cleaning.

Stickyfan

Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

I talked to Roland and they were definitely against converting an older machine to CMYKWW. They mentioned all of the pitfalls you guys mentioned: clogging heads, non-dedicated white ink line, recirculation system, shaking, etc.

Interesting to see jasonx's experience. It gives me hope that it's possible, but I worry that as a novice printer, we'd run into a whole bunch of issues/questions with a "Jerry-rigged" system.

In your professional opinions, do you think it's worth the risk? A used SJ-540EX or XC-540 will be less expensive than buying a brand new VS-540 (can't find any used), but I'm extremely concerned we'll run into trouble.

Any/all opinions will be heard!

rjssigns

Check with ArtBot on this forum. He makes his printers run stuff they were never intended to.

Last edited:

CS-SignSupply-TT

Here is your BEST answer, "...but I worry that as a novice printer..." It sounds like your WORRY translates into the purchase of a NEW Roland

netsol

we run an sc545-ex. love it

HOWEVER

the machine is cranky with the yellow head. (yellow has a lot more pigment than the other colors, BUT NO WAY NEAR AS MUCH AS YOUR WHITE WILL HAVE)