• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Vs. Adobe....

royster13

On the "cloud" the Adobe Suite will be 50.00 per month and will include every program in the Creative Suite Master Collection.....

Joe Diaz

Must be the new math I keep hearing about. The 3 hours a month was a LONG way off. I don't think one's going to become proficient in Corel in 3 hours a month. You can probably multiply that by about 10 times, so your math is about as accurate as my example. It wasn't meant as an exact number to be picked apart by you, it was meant to show how one could start to figure out if it made financial sense to do it. Many people will step over a $1 to save a dime and I was illustrating that this might be one of those times. It might not. I have no idea, I didn't do a cost analysis on it.

I own both and will continue to own both because are needed for our business.

Hey, the 3 hours or $2,880 was your figure not mine. I just used if for the sake of argument. I know there are a bunch of other factors that come into play. And the results from a decision like this will vary from one person to another. But NOW your saying switching from adobe to corel will cost someone $28,800 Riiiiigghhhttt. :rolleyes:

Now to be fair since you get to change the data on your end because you don't like the results, let me change the data too.:Big Laugh Let's say when switching to Corel you don't upgrade every version. Let's say you upgrade every other version. A lot of people do this. We used to do this.

Now it costs you only $44.30 a year versus the $780.00 a year for adobe, That's a 735.70 savings.

Every third version... that's a $750.47 savings. I would hardly say that is stepping over $1 to save a dime.

Unlike you, I have no vested interest in anyone picking one product or another.
Excuse me? Now your just being a jack-a$$. My only vested interest is to help out a friend on this forum. I won't lose sleep at night if Gary continues to use adobe. I just happen to disagree with you. No one is paying me for my opinion. It would be nice if they did, but they don't. :Big Laugh

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
royster13 said:
On the "cloud" the Adobe Suite will be 50.00 per month and will include every program in the Creative Suite Master Collection.....

That $50 per month Adobe Creative Cloud price is for individual users. Businesses have to pay $70 per month per computer. So if you have 3 computer systems running Adobe suites you'll have a $210 per month software bill from Adobe.

BTW, this thread really didn't accomplish what it should have. And that's getting down to actual hard specifics on unique features or capabilities CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator have that are not found in their rival application.

Instead, much of it is the usual, very tiresome hyperbole about which one is more professional, more "industry standard' or easier to use without actually getting down to specifics.
:Sleeping:

Perhaps what is needed is some sort of feature list/comparison FAQ without all the blather of so many opinions clouding up the picture.

Circleville Signs

That $50 per month Adobe Creative Cloud price is for individual users. Businesses have to pay $70 per month per computer. So if you have 3 computer systems running Adobe suites you'll have a $210 per month software bill from Adobe.

BTW, this thread really didn't accomplish what it should have. And that's getting down to actual hard specifics on unique features or capabilities CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator have that are not found in their rival application.

Instead, much of it is the usual, very tiresome hyperbole about which one is more professional, more "industry standard' or easier to use without actually getting down to specifics.
:Sleeping:

Perhaps what is needed is some sort of feature list/comparison FAQ without all the blather of so many opinions clouding up the picture.

Agreed!

CES020

Joe, you should really read what I say instead of responding to what you think I said or meant. If you need clarification on something I said, ask, I'll clarify it.

I seem to have specifically said it was meant as an example to allow someone to do the calculation to make sure they were doing the right thing. Yet you talk about it like I said it was the gospel, which I didn't.

Corel obviously will be a less expensive option, since the cash outlay for it is less on all versions. Duh, didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. My point was that there's more to this decision than just the shelf price of the software, that you have to account for the conversion time as well. If you feel you shouldn't calculate the time to takes to learn new software for your business, that's fine by me. But in my business, it's something we would think about and calculate.

So the winner of a CorelDraw contest has no vested interest in CorelDraw? Now that's my laugh for the day. The poster child of using CorelDraw saying that cracks me up.

I'll also repeat, I don't care what he uses. I use both, daily. I like different things on both of them, some do things better than the other, and neither do it all perfect.

WildWestDesigns

So the winner of a CorelDraw contest has no vested interest in CorelDraw? Now that's my laugh for the day. The poster child of using CorelDraw saying that cracks me up.

So what if he even did have a vested interest in Draw? That wouldn't mitigate his argument. If he didn't give what he believed to be reasons for his stance on this topic then that would be one thing. But if he gave reasons for why he thinks the way he does, it wouldn't matter if he was the owner of the company.

"Attack" his reasoning at that point. Mentioning that he supposedly has a vested interested in the well being of Draw (I don't know if he does or doesn't) doesn't really do anything for the topic other then confuse and inflame.

Joe Diaz

Joe, you should really read what I say instead of responding to what you think I said or meant. If you need clarification on something I said, ask, I'll clarify it.

I seem to have specifically said it was meant as an example to allow someone to do the calculation to make sure they were doing the right thing. Yet you talk about it like I said it was the gospel, which I didn't.

Corel obviously will be a less expensive option, since the cash outlay for it is less on all versions. Duh, didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. My point was that there's more to this decision than just the shelf price of the software, that you have to account for the conversion time as well. If you feel you shouldn't calculate the time to takes to learn new software for your business, that's fine by me. But in my business, it's something we would think about and calculate.

I'll also repeat, I don't care what he uses. I use both, daily. I like different things on both of them, some do things better than the other, and neither do it all perfect.

Hey, all I did was take the figures you came up with to try to find a guesstimate on how long it might take for someone to use Corel before it would start paying off to do so. I realize the figures you came up with were just pulled off the top of your head. I also realize other factors come in to play. For example while you are learning to use Corel, even if you are slower at fist, you can be working on paying jobs, therefore the cost of making a switch may not be as steep as you think. Anyway, you made the claim that it could cost you more in the long run. I was simply playing the devil's advocate to that point of view.

I don't care if you disagree with me or not but don't sit there and insinuate that your opinion is somehow more valid because you decided to chime in out of the goodness in your heart, while I on the other hand am only selfishly stating my opinion because I have something gain from people not using illustrator. What a bunch of bull. Even if I got a check every time I said the word "Corel", it doesn't make what I have said here any less valid.

I'm sure you wish it did, but I think you're just sour because you have to spend several hundred a year to do the same things those of us only need Corel to do.:omg:

CES020

Anyway, you made the claim that it could cost you more in the long run.

I did not make that claim Joe. Now you're showing you inability to see anything I say as a rational thought.

What I SAID (I seem to have to repeat things 3 times for you), is that you should consider it might take more than the outlay of capital for the software to get up to speed.

If one did a fair analysis, then you would factor in the cost of the software, the time it takes to learn it, AND any advantages or disadvantages or the particular software.

What you MAY find is that one product takes costs more or less, but in the end, takes you more or less time to do the things you need to do.

Let me spell this out for you so you don't pick that apart and make it say what you think I meant to say from your side of things.....

One software may or may not be better for your personal situation. The solution may be CorelDraw, it may be Illustrator. I don't know. Only someone with their own personal situation in front of them can answer that. Since NONE of us have that for the OP, then it's nothing more than speculation. I did NOT speculate, I added advice on how to analytically look at one's needs to help them make a better informed decision, rather than putting on my CorelDraw T-shirt and saying "Corel is Better" or my "Abobe Underwear" and saying "Adobe is better".

If you are a roofer and you ask for a hammer and someone gives you a ball peen hammer, it's probably not the best tool for the job. Not knowing what the person on the other end does or doesn't do, doesn't allow me to recommend a hammer for them.

Joe Diaz

I did not make that claim Joe. Now you're showing you inability to see anything I say as a rational thought.

Am I? I read what you said, now you are trying to tell me what you meant. Here is what you said:
If you want to learn it on your free time, that's another story, but if it stops you from working, or causes your work to take longer while you do learn it, this "savings" you're after may actually cost you a whole lot more in the end.

My answer to that is yes it may, but it may not. When exactly is "in the end" This whole thing depends on how long your in the business, how fast you can adapt to new way of doing things. I'm not going to make that assumption for Gary, because that is next to impossible for me to say, so I took your figures, factored in the cost of the software and I showed one way of finding out how long it MAY take before switching to Corel starts paying off. Based on those figures, you would agree right?

Obviously it was an over simplification to a complex issue. I never claimed that it wasn't. If you change those figures to show that it would take 500 hours before you are as efficient at using Corel as Adobe, it would take even longer before it would pay off. But the point was to show that unless you plan on retiring in the next few years, if you really stick with it, eventually you will get to a point where one would save money by using a tool that has the same potential but costs less(even if it takes time to learn it).

Do you see what I'm saying?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
When I was toying around with making a switch to Corel, I was thinking, clear it all out, sell or stop upgrading my Auto-Cad, Flexi-Sign, Canvas, Filemaker Pro, Windows, Fusion, my Mac and PC version of Adobe Premium Suite, CadTools, Xtreme Path, Form-Z, maybe even MS Office... I stopped upgrading my Gerber, Signpost stopped years ago, and I sold off my SignLab. I'm sure most of us have upgrades that rival Adobe's...

Upgrades are part of the business. If I got tweaked every time an upgrade came, I would have to find a new line of work. But I would save a lot more than 700 or 800 bucks a year by using only one program or suite.

WildWestDesigns

I'm a little amazed myself about the discussion that adobe's upgrade costs has been. I use 1 program that to upgrade 1 generation it's 1k, upgrade 2 generations it's 2k, upgrade 3 generations it's 3k. After that it's the full price and let's just say you could almost buy 2 BN-20s for that price.

Techman

i use inkscape and gimp all the time.
Truly amazing software for FREE.
Inkscape can even plot out gears and ratios.

Inkscape is great for converting photos into art usable for 3d dimensional vector art.

CES020

Am I? I read what you said, now you are trying to tell me what you meant. Here is what you said:

My answer to that is yes it may, but it may not. When exactly is "in the end" This whole thing depends on how long your in the business, how fast you can adapt to new way of doing things. I'm not going to make that assumption for Gary, because that is next to impossible for me to say, so I took your figures, factored in the cost of the software and I showed one way of finding out how long it MAY take before switching to Corel starts paying off. Based on those figures, you would agree right?

Obviously it was an over simplification to a complex issue. I never claimed that it wasn't. If you change those figures to show that it would take 500 hours before you are as efficient at using Corel as Adobe, it would take even longer before it would pay off. But the point was to show that unless you plan on retiring in the next few years, if you really stick with it, eventually you will get to a point where one would save money by using a tool that has the same potential but costs less(even if it takes time to learn it).

Do you see what I'm saying?

Here's the problem Joe, you took figures I pulled out of the air and ran with an assumption on your part. Do you really think someone can learn to be fluent with Corel in 3 hours a month? I doubt it. Yet, you ran with that. I was simply using a number as an example and you assumed that I was trying to prove a case against Corel and you came in to defend the purchase of Corel.

I wasn't suggestion one or the other. I was simply stating that there are things to consider. I think I've spent a small fortune trying to learn Illustrator.

Grandpa Dan used an example as his recent seminar that said that he'd heard it takes 10,000 hours to become really good at just about anything. I thought it was a high number when I heard it and then I thought about all the things I've done in life and figured he'd pretty much got it right.

I've got 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of hours invested in Corel and I'm no where near where I probably should be.

Again, my point is to figure out if things make sense for you in YOUR business. If you look at the package and say "I can save $600 a year with Corel", but then you work with people who don't use anything but Adobe products, then you might spend $600 a year dealing with compatibility issues and saving to different versions, etc. However, you also might make up some ground in productivity, so it might be a wash. It's all in what you do. I think my example is more along the lines of "the software might be the smallest part of the investment if you look a little deeper". It might be an investment you want to make, it might not. That's a decision no one else can make for you, especially someone that doesn't know your business.

Buy either one, use inkscape for free, or get them all, I couldn't care less. But whichever way one goes, it should be a smart business decision, not an emotional reaction to a price increase.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
or my "Abobe Underwear"

Can you buy these outright or do you have to sign up for one of those month to month cloud subscription deals?

wayne k
guam usa