• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Vs. Adobe....

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Would have to disagree. I use hand tools, power tools, and software tools daily. I take pride in my workmanship and refuse to use crappy tools!

I've probably told this story before but let me tell it again. Many many years ago I had a small shop in the back of a pool hall. Needless to say I shot a lot of pool. One day the scion of the local mafioso came in with a fine new cue. A wonder to behold, finely balanced, hand carved butt, real ivory ferrules.

I remarked to the owner of the billiard academy that a guy shoot shoot some kind of pool with a stick like that. He said nonsense, that if Mike [the guy with the incredible cue] would let me use it, he Chuck [the owner], would play me using a broomstick. Mike agreed and Chuck went over to a push broom, unscrewed the wooden handle, mad a big show of chalking up the end of it,...and cleaned my clock.

Never give undue reverence to your tools.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Edit nevermind - not worth bothering...
Twaddle, they'll both get you and your cargo there. You might favor this or that feature over another but they will still get you where you're going even if not equipped to your exact specifications..

WildWestDesigns

Twaddle, they'll both get you and your cargo there. You mi:thankyou:ght favor this or that feature over another but they will still get you where you're going even if not equipped to your exact specifications..

Its the shape that they get you there in though. You can say twaddle all you want, but I have been hauling live cargo a long time and there is a significant difference in quality between the 2 and its that quality that helps with the performance of that task.

Let me ask you this, would you recommend and use a crappy chinese plotter versus a Roland, Gerber etc for a commercial purpose? If your answer is anything other then "yes", then there is less twaddle to what I am saying then what you think there is.

WildWestDesigns

I've probably told this story before but let me tell it again. Many many years ago I had a small shop in the back of a pool hall. Needless to say I shot a lot of pool. One day the scion of the local mafioso came in with a fine new cue. A wonder to behold, finely balanced, hand carved butt, real ivory ferrules.

I remarked to the owner of the billiard academy that a guy shoot shoot some kind of pool with a stick like that. He said nonsense, that if Mike [the guy with the incredible cue] would let me use it, he Chuck [the owner], would play me using a broomstick. Mike agreed and Chuck went over to a push broom, unscrewed the wooden handle, mad a big show of chalking up the end of it,...and cleaned my clock.

Shooting a lot of pool doesn't in of itself mean you are a good player. For all I or anyone else just reading that story now, you could have been practicing bad habits.

I will agree that there is a lot of who is operating the "tool", but you can only do so muc, if its lacking, its lacking. A talented person might get more out of it then another, but only so much.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
From the urban dictionary:
5. twaddle

Posting narcissistic pointless forum topics aimed at getting attention and pointless responses to garner reaction by announcing unexpected and blasphemous acts.

(the first 4 could only be posted in the now extinct NHB)

wayne k
guam usa

Terremoto

I think you missed the point of that pool game. It was the skills of your opponent that obviously outshone a classy tool in the hand of an amateur.

Your reverence was misplaced!

Myself, "I refuse to use crappy tools!"

njsigns

Rather than guessing if what works for others will work for you - why not download the CorelDraw free 30 trial? For ME, CorelDraw feels more intuitive than Illustrator - but I came from a Photoshop background, when I opened Illustrator I saw a lot of the same icons (tools) - but they didn't do what I expected.

I then downloaded the CorelDraw trial and it just felt natural TO ME, it may not feel that way to everyone. If you think there is somewhere you might have problems utilizing the tools in CorelDraw there is always lynda.com - they have a lot of useful tutorials that go over specific tools and rendering intent, I have used lynda.com many times with great success - and if you look around the internet a bit there are "free trial" coupons/offers for lynda.com as well. I personally think it's your best bet to actually try it out for yourself - and you don't even have to spend a dollar to do so.

Gene

JoshLoring

Circleville Signs said:
Adobe's new pricing structure is flat-out ludicrous. And with X5 checking in at about 30% of the cost of CS5.5

Adobe is the best and it's also industry standard. 30%??! Your taking 30$ to the hundred. I get 2 Corel files a year from clients and thousands of ai/PDF/eps files. Thats TWO.... A year...
Why sacrifice quality and compatibility for 30%...
My 2 cents

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Seriously...if you like Adobe products then stick with them. If you let the "impending doom" of the pricing issue stand in the way of productivity, then you've got too much time to waste.

Believe me, Corel is watching this whole matter very closely and if the new pricing scheme seems to be working in Adobe's favor, you can be assured Corel will follow suit...so what difference will it make then?

I say stick to what you know and like and write it off as the cost of doing business.

JB

royster13

I have CS5 and X5 and do not like the feel of Corel.....I think folks in this business need both.....While you can open each others files, there are "occasionally" small differences from 1 program to another....

Joe Diaz

Testing out the trial is a great idea. You will be able to see for yourself on your own system and be able to test things like performance. As far as the learning curve, That can vary from one person to another.

The thing you have to understand is you are asking for advice from "folks who REALLY know both products". The problem with that is that those type of people are comfortable using both programs, it sounds like you are not, you are an adobe guy, so it may take some time to re-adjust to a new set of tools.

I know for me, being a long time Corel user, trying to accomplish things in adobe can be a real pain when you are so used to doing things a certain way and taking certain step to accomplish certain things. However, I'm sure if anyone put their mind to it eventually they can make the switch and may be better off for it.

When I had to start using Illy it was because I was working for shop that used only Illy, so I HAD to adjust. In your case you are wanting to save money. I'm guessing at first switching to corel may not be worth it, even at a lower cost, because you will be a bit slower while you try to relearn things. But if you stick with it, in the long run, since I honestly believe that you can accomplish the same things in both programs, when you do get a hang of Corel, you will save money.

SignManiac

Corel fits my style of work flow like a glove. Either product can get the job done. But in the end, it's just a tool. Give a crap designer a choice between either product and both will look like crap when done. Polishing turds is not a plug in. A lot of people can afford the price of CS5, but that doesn't make their work any better, although I've seen many here who think their stuff is all that because they use Adobe. Similar to the Mac superiority complex.

My advice is to to pick and stick with one program and learn it well.

TammieH

Corel versus Illustrator

I think you will find its just a matter of opinion, I started out years ago with Corel 3 around 1990 - 91. Back then I thought it was decent, since that's where I cut my teeth on digital signage. After switching employers in 94 and over to Mac, I learned Freehand (shame that Freehand is not around any longer, by far the best ever vector art program) we later switched to Illustrator around 2000. since then that is my program of choice, Corel seems clunky to me even though it does a couple things better than Illustrator. You are using Illustrator now, I can't see switching over at this point...but as I said its a matter of opinion.

bob

Shooting a lot of pool doesn't in of itself mean you are a good player. For all I or anyone else just reading that story now, you could have been practicing bad habits...

True, so let me give you a couple of data points. I once, by invitation, shot 4 racks of straight pool with Willie Moscone in an exhibition [he won] and once played a bit of short rack nine ball with the fraud that styled itself 'Minnesota Fats'. The latter was no contest, in fact after a bit he was demanding I spot him the 5 safe or he wouldn't continue. I told him to pound sand.

I know which end you hold and which end hits the cue ball.

bob

Its the shape that they get you there in though. You can say twaddle all you want, but I have been hauling live cargo a long time and there is a significant difference in quality between the 2 and its that quality that helps with the performance of that task....

I've probably hauled more horses more miles that most people ever travel in a lifetime. In every sort of rig imaginable. They all got us there in the same time and with the same comfort for both man and beast. None of these rigs had any foibles such that you'd want to pull off to the side of the road an run off into the woods pulling your hair and screaming. Never when we were driving an X did anyone wish they were driving a Y instead.

Joe Diaz

Adobe is the best and it's also industry standard. 30%??! Your taking 30$ to the hundred. I get 2 Corel files a year from clients and thousands of ai/PDF/eps files. Thats TWO.... A year...
My 2 cents

LOL 2 Corel Files? Hey that's pretty good. I probably get 2 vector files a year period. The rest are .cbc files. (That is a file extention I just made up. It's short for Crappy Business Cards, that I have scan in and trace).:Big Laugh

I keed, I keed. In all seriousness, not using the industry standard has never really been a huge problem here. I kind of like not using the standard. It makes me feel like a rebel, dare I say a "maverick". :Big Laugh

WildWestDesigns

I've probably hauled more horses more miles that most people ever travel in a lifetime. In every sort of rig imaginable. They all got us there in the same time and with the same comfort for both man and beast. None of these rigs had any foibles such that you'd want to pull off to the side of the road an run off into the woods pulling your hair and screaming. Never when we were driving an X did anyone wish they were driving a Y instead.

During my heavy showing days I was averaging ~30k miles a year.

Some 6.0 owners would. I am not one of them, I am a 6.0 fanboy(psd that is). First couple of yrs with the allison was trying for chevy lovers, even a few diehard ones that I knew. Dodge maual trannies have a horrible clutch in stock form, still do. Even the most worshipped 7.3s had their reoccuring issues, just not along the lines of cost of the 6.0.

I could go on all day with this subject, but this is not respective to the OP, so im going to stop with this as far as responding here in this thread.

My 2 cents

How do you know what they were created in?

I create 500 corel files a year, yet I send them all out as ai/PDF/eps files to facilitate import on the other end.

RobbyMac

Sure anything is possible. But whats most efficient in terms of cost and time savings is significant for even us amateurs.

Perhaps the OP found the answers they were looking for so they could decide if the switch would create cost and time savings for them. (Since there's more to cost savings than just the price of the product). Or maybe they'll take someone elses advice and just wing every job old school with hand lettering instead. Then he can prove he's a pro rather than focus on saving time and money.