• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Croping....?

steriltech

Hi all,
Got a question I have a roland CX-500. I don't have a color printer yet but I want to learn how to use the crop function on this cutter.

How can I do this? Could I use a 8x10 self adhesive photo paper with a print of some sort??? So I could try out the crop function..

I would consider any any advise thrown my way..How could I use it with out printing a decal... Thanks!!

:signs101:

iSign

don't worry dude, I'm not going to tell you you spelled your topic wrong, cause it's the wrong word anyway... it doesn't make sense. plotters don't crop.

Last edited:

steriltech

meant what???? Well feeling still hurt I see? here we go again your not going to tell me about incorrect spelling but you just did!

Cain't one guy just get a simple reply with out remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude brush it under the rug already just let it go....and do keep in mind I was the one shot at!! I did not asked about my spelling you knew what I was asking but no! had to take a cheep shot anyway....anyway I'm glad you remembered me...

Hey if no one wants to answer my thread it's ok I'm not going to be hurt,but do me a favor don't answer for no-one else..If your going to keep bringing up my spelling just DON"T REPLY!!!!!!

Techman

its not the mispelling,, its what do you mean?

cutters dont crop.. personally im not sure what you mean.. or what you are asking.

crop function ????
The only crop function i know about is when working with graphics,, you crop the outer edges away to make a image more better.

no body has any idea what you are asking for because you are asking the wrong ? and we have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

plotters or cutters as you refer to them plot or cut they do not crop the only thing that i can think of that you are trying to ask about is in the software where you crop on image but im not going to guess figure out what the hell you are trying to ask

iSign

ok, I won't speak for anyone else... & I'll agree to move on, if you do too. Yes, I remember quite well what went down, & while you thought you were "shot at", it was actually a very polite reference to investing a little more in yourself & in this professional environment to get the most out of it. When YOU had to bring it up again a week later, is when I saw that YOU had a problem. You are forgiven.

If you want to use a plotter to attempt to register a cut file, to a simulation of a printed graphic, I think the software you will be using is as much or more important then the specific plotter.

In my case, for my large format inkjet work I use a Mimaki printer & plotter... but the registration marks I print are a function of my software, which is flexi sign pro. It prints an "L" shape in all 4 corners, then my plotter has an electric eye that looks for these marks & then cuts my job in the proper registration to those marks.

What software are you using? Are you just wanting to test if your plotter can read marks... or is there some specific cut you want to do that needs to fit with some other 8x10 thing? If you give a little more info, someone may know more specific steps to get you going forward here.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Cropping is nothing more than trimming an image ... usually to straight edges. I guess everyone is confused because it's unlikely any of us would do this with a plotter. It is far easier to do it with a paper cutter or trimmer or even a staight edge and an Xacto knife.

chopper

I think He is asking about print and cut, I think He has a plotter
that has the ability to contour cut (not crop) but dose not have the printer,
and is wondering if there is any way to test it with out having a printer to see how the contour cutting works, if this is the case I do not know of a way to test with out a printer that can generate the alignment marks need for your cutter to reconize the print...//chopper

iSign

I think his intentions are along the lines of Choppers comment... but I also wonder if there is the hope to print "decals" on some 8-1/2" Avery label stock from office max & put a contour cut on that, because of not having a printer.

steriltech

Wow nice replies! Ok Maybe I asked the wrong question? Island sign dude I'm not mad at you at all!

Guys what I mean is I print a decal in color and want to contor cut it...Is this croping? You see I don't have a color printer/cutter just a cutter so would I be able to use the roland cx 500 to do this? Thats why I said asked what I did.

Sign Works

Guys what I mean is I print a decal in color and want to contor cut it...Is this croping?

NO IT IS NOT, IT IS CONTOUR CUTTING.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You see I don't have a color printer/cutter just a cutter.

THEN HOW DID YOU PRINT THE DECAL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

SEE WHAT WE MEAN? VERY CONFUSING QUESTIONS.

iSign

...he just said he doesn't have a "printer/cutter" ...meaning a single machine doing both. My guess is he has a desktop printer.... hence the "8x10" he mentioned.

If you want to use a plotter to attempt to register a cut file, to a ...printed graphic...

..the software you will be using is as much or more important then the specific plotter.

What software are you using?

to all you guys who are wanting to cut him slack, why aren't you helping him???

...maybe because you don't understand him?

There may be a lot you don't understand.

There has been a bit of history that leads to the tone of some conversations around here, & that history ties in to the fact that it's very difficult to invest energy in helping someone if half the energy you have to invest isn't even in providing an answer... but instead is wasted in attempting to extract a complete cohesive frikkin question out of the fog enough to be able to help...

I ain't mad at you either... or anybodies spelling... but fer crissakes.... don't make it so goddamdifficult playin' guessing games just to be able to bestow the favor of an education on you. Take some damn time to make your situation 100% clear to everyone, everytime... or don't expect much time in return. you get out what you put in! That ain't a signs101 law... it's a life law!

Ken

Well, I dont know your cutter and more importantly, we don't know what software you have at your disposal. If someone provides a printed decal for you and you want to contour cut it, you will have to create an outline around the decal that your machine understands as a cut line.
It may be as simple as sending the file to the vector doctor and have him create an outline in AI (then convert to whatever format might suit you best) You can then scale it to the size you need.
I think your machine will need to recognize registration marks for this to work.
If it is just one or a few decals..you can trim them with a good knife. Ya..it's a pain in the butt..But very do-able.
Hope this helps...Ken

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Wow nice replies! Ok Maybe I asked the wrong question? Island sign dude I'm not mad at you at all!

Guys what I mean is I print a decal in color and want to contor cut it...Is this croping? You see I don't have a color printer/cutter just a cutter so would I be able to use the roland cx 500 to do this? Thats why I said asked what I did.

Knowing the correct nomenclature is at least half of all understanding. To 'crop' is generally accepts as to remove a geometrically regular subset from an image, a rectangle, an oval, whatever.

To contour cut is to trace an arbitrary line on an image. Usually the outline of the image itself but not necessarily so.

In order to do either on a plotter the software that cuts the image either has to be the same software that created the image or in touch with it in some way. even through you will work. Moreover the plotter has to be able to communicate to the software that's driving it it's interpretation of at least two and preferably 4 image registration devices that must be part of the print.

Here's why...

The first problem being how do you load the image in your plotter such that the plotter's origin is that same as the printer's origin? OK, print a mark on the image at X=0, Y=0. If you can set the cutter blade at exactly this point and then set the plotter's origin to that point, you have conquered that part.

But that's not even close to sufficient. How do you load the media in the plotter with exactly the same skew as the printer? If you don't the cut will be way off at the X and Y extremities of the image.

Assuming that you have superhuman powers and are able to load the media into the plotter with exactly the same skew as the printer. Then how do you compensate for any disparity between the software's concept of an inch and the printer's interpretation of an inch? They are different, sometimes wildly so.

So you print an image and, for this example, print 4 registration marks. One in each corner of the rectangle that contains the image. The software knows where it set these marks and the distances between them. This is called the 'Logical Image'. What gets printed is seldom, if ever, an accurate rendering of these marks. Distances both in the X and Y directions are interpreted by the mechanics of the printer. This is called the 'Physical Image'.

Load the physical image into a plotter capable of sending its interpretation of the location of the 4 marks back to the software or of dealing with any necessary mapping itself. There are both kinds. Once the system knows where the marks are in the plotter and where they should be in the software it's a simple bit of ratio arithmetic to calculate where any logical point on the print physically is on the plotter. This then takes care of origin, skew, size, and linear distortion.

That's how it's done in the real world.

steriltech

Thank you Bob!!!
That was such helpful info...You see I got a roland CX-500 and I love it. I then saw the roland GX-500 and on a small video on the web. I saw it do something remarkable.It checked out these little black dots on the ends of the paper read them the did some cuts around the decal! I did not know how to explain it in words? So I thought let me print a decal on my epson sticky paper 8X10 and see if I could do it with the cx-500...Maybe it's not even called croping? It all new to me I will end up getting a color printer/cutter. I just wanted to ask if I could have a printer print decals ,and the cx-500 cut them out! Thanks again bob

weaselboogie

You are referring to contour cutting, not cropping. I have a GX-24 that does it also. It will read registration marks and then contour cut using a cut file that YOU HAVE MADE. It doesn't automatically find the outside of the picture, it uses a cutting file. It just reads the marks to determine where to start the file, AKA origin point.