• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer brings me artwork from another shop....

Pat Whatley

Customer just came in and pitched a fit because the sign I made for him is "wrong and costing him a fortune in lost business".

He brought me artwork, said a friend did it for him. Made his sign exactly like the layout he brought me and installed it on his building.

Turns out that the layout came from another shop and they'd put the wrong phone number on it and he never caught it. I'd copied it and sent him a proof, he didn't catch it that time either.

Now he's pitching another fit that I'm charging him to go fix it and wants me to get with the other shop to get them to pay for it. His actual quote to me when I told him I needed it paid for in advance was "Call SignsNow and y'all work that out." :ROFLMAO:

TheSnowman

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He's apparently lost his mind. I'm guessing he must be like 30 or younger since he seems to be part of the generation that refuses to take responsibility for themselves. And before anyone gets offended, I'm 30 and I'm part of that generation. Most of us suck...of course, I'm the exception.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Always someone trying to pass the buck.

I think you should just play Mr Niceguy and do it for free. Heck, you did everything correct so far and got paid for it, it's your turn to take a beating.............. :rolleyes:
Any bets, that the other shop didn't pull this stunt on purpose, knowing the guy might do this ?? :omg:

I started doing this years ago, to make sure our hard-work didn't go unpaid. Usually when I write measurements down and calculations, I use close, but not correct ones, so when shopping around, it looks correct, but will get the other guy in trouble when things just don't mesh. In my own notes, I use the correct numbers and such. Doing it to a phone number though..... that's taking a chance someone will see it and fix it right away.
:Oops: Ha, what a putz your guy is.

Mosh

Gino, thanks for the great idea! From now on I am going to fudge sizes just bit on layouts.

Pat Whatley

Usually when I write measurements down and calculations, I use close, but not correct ones, so when shopping around, it looks correct, but will get the other guy in trouble when things just don't mesh. In my own notes, I use the correct numbers and such. ding it to a phone number though..... that's taking a chance someone will see it and fix it right away.

I do that all the time when a customer wants measurements.

Usually when I have to do a layout and the customer hasn't given me the phone number I plug in our shop number, that was when I do the sign if I forget to change it I'm pretty sure to recognize the shop number and correct it. I'm guessing the other shop just plugged in a random number.

No way I'm doing it for free, it wasn't my fault. I'm not driving across town, climbing up the ladder, peeling off old numbers, cleaning adhesive, installing new numbers and driving back just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

John Butto

SignsNow is going to get a good laugh at you and your customer who stole their artwork, when they find out what happened.

GWSigns

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He's apparently lost his mind. I'm guessing he must be like 30 or younger since he seems to be part of the generation that refuses to take responsibility for themselves. And before anyone gets offended, I'm 30 and I'm part of that generation. Most of us suck...of course, I'm the exception.

My daughter who just turned 31 and I were having a discussion on this very issue last night.

She is about ready to take out a large percentage of her generation because of their lack of ownership for their responsibility.

She too is an exception to that rule, but then again she is like her mom and has never fit "in the box" and always took pride in traveling through life on a different tangent than the lemmings

Bly

me, on taking this call..

attachment.php

Attachments

• raughs.jpg
    raughs.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 129

visual800

I love it when customers have no freaking Idea who did their signs cause they prolly shopped all shops in the area now they are confused. I esspecially like it when I get calls to fix another F up another shop has done and Im the one that gets verbally punished. How come none of these people go back to the original shop to make then fix a F up!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO: that's so frickin' true !!

Meanwhile..... across town...........

Hello ??

No, this isn't Mickey's Tavern.

Click: zzzzzzz

Wonder who all these people are calling me all of a sudden ?? By the way, where's this popular place.... Mickey's Tavern ??

boxerbay

all our clients must sign off on artwork with a clause that includes verbiage along the lines of... "please review and verify all text including phone names yadda yadda yadda... xyx corp is not responsible for any errors approved by client and is printed as per the clients approval. client agree to not hold xyz corp liable for any errors approved by client. blah blah blah.

this way the client is perfectly clear that it is their responsibility to ensure the accuracy of their job.

then from there if there is a gross error we usually try to work it out with the client for a nominal fee to cover expenses to correct the error.