• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting magnetic sheeting

jbrevik

Im currently working on coming up with new door magnets designs and Im having trouble getting straight edges on the magnets. Im cutting 25"x10" magnets out of an existing bulk roll or just slightly larger to apply the vinyl graphic and then cut to size. Im using just an exacto knife to make my cuts and thinking that this is probably not the best option. What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Mr. T

Ditto on the utlity knife. A good ruler with safety edge can help you keep your fingers. Cheaper than a co pay. LOL
Tracy

I normaly use a exacto knife when I cut them but some of the people who have worked with me could not get straight cut when doing the same so I gave them a rolling blade cutter to use and it worked much better for them. You might want to try a rolling blade, OLFA makes them as well as others.

J Hill Designs

if your problem is that the material is too thick to keep the blade straight, I just score it two or three times and crack it apart...swipe swipe swipe crack done

"Deposit Please"

Get yourself a t square, butt it up against the edge of your cutting table, this ensures the ruler won't move while your doing the cut on the mag.

anotherdog

Aha, I know the problem. You need a decent cutting ruler, one with the rubber/neoprene on the base. I had a heck of a time with magnet until I found a safety Ruler that would hold the magnet while I leaned on the knife.

ABPGraphics

Make sure you are not cutting magnetic (black) side up - a pain to cut that way - white side up - straight edge - score & snap - I use a straight edge with a nonslip bottom

petrosgraphics

i have cut them on a metal bench so the mag does not move... straightedge and a utility
knife... more control with this knife...... have also cut them with the black side up and
use a metal framing square lining it up with the bot of the mag.. it does not move at all
because of the magnetic back..... use the same knife....

studio 440

yhst-57587333958251_2121_100922346.jpg

Bill Modzel

I just use a safety ruler on a cutting board for one or two pieces but when I have to trim a batch or sheet off the roll, nothing beats a decent mat cutter.

32bantum

Cutting mags

I use a short t-square to start with a square end. Just score the mag face and bend it back. Clean cut every time.

Tim Aucoin

I use the heavy duty Olfa with the black blades. Snap the blades frequently to keep them sharp. I'm also a HUGE advocate of the safety rulers. Saved me many a finger (well, at least 10!! :omg:). I think the key thing is a fresh, sharp blade.