• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Days like today make me want to crawl back in bed.

showcase 66

I swear today is a Monday.

I had a client that was dropping off one of their cars at 630. No big deal. He needs the backglass done and the lettering down the side before 900 so he can leave to pick up someone in Vegas. Still not a problem. He brought the car to me last Monday (not yesterday) just as he left the kia dealership. Kia rio white. Measured the backglass get it designed he approves the layout for the perf, it gets here yesterday. He drops the car off at 530. No big deal I was up getting ready for this car and a couple others.

He leaves. I go to pull the car in and its not the same car. It is a black kia rio hatchback. Window is way smaller than the other car and wont fit. Cuts off the start and ending of his business name. Second, the lettering on the car was suppose to be black on a white car.

Call the guy up and he told me that there was a problem with the other car on Friday, and so they switched it out with this one. Didn't think it would be a problem. Then he gets pissed at me when I tell him that he is going to have to pay for the first perf and another one that will actually fit on his car now as well as lettering for the side.

He said to put white on the sides and his logo on the backglass for now.

I did that, he picks it up and gets pissed that I charged him for the temporary logo on his backglass. He refused to pay for it and I just wanted to get him out of here as I had another guy bringing his truck in at 830. It is about 815 at this time. He then wants to pay with a check but wants me to hold it until Friday. Uhhhh No. Told him I was not accepting checks anymore unless it is a business check. That pisses him off and hands me a credit card. Run the card, with the total including the logo on the backglass. He signs the receipt and invoice.

He leaves and the next guy shows up. I have been applying sponsor decals on his race truck for the past couple months but not in about 3 weeks or so. When he called up, he said he needed to add another sponsor over the front fender. The sponsor is a client of mine and I already have the logo ready. I told him to stop by and I could put the decal on without him having to take it off the trailer as he needs to leave by 12 to head out to the next race location. He backs the truck up and I go look at it. Not a fricken sponsor is on the truck. He tells me He wants it with everyone else back on there in the same spot. Seven sponsors. The bed panels was partially wrapped with a sponsor logo added over top.

I was never told that it was a complete redo of the truck. Now he gets pissed when I tell him there is now way I can have everything back the way it was before 12. I need to cut everything and my 2 cutters have been going non stop already this morning getting out other peoples stuff that have given me enough time to get done but have also given me an incentive to get them done earlier.

Told him I would get done what I could get done and it would cost more because of the time crunch, but not to show up until he was ready to head out of town to pick it up at 12. Got his stuff on there and the biggest sponsors stuff on there along with 2 others. Didnt get mine on there but was getting ready too. He shows up at 11 and wants it now. He gets pissed that there is no Orange splash down the bed side. I told him I didnt have the right material for that. Didnt have the "right" orange he wanted and what I did have was not cast.

He leaves and get a call from the first guy from the day. He was stopped on the way to Vegas by ADOT police. Not DPS here in AZ but actually ADOT weigh station police. He was given a fine of $2500 for advertising on a private vehicle. They told him it had to be a business vehicle and licensed and registered that way. He is yelling and screaming at me saying he is going to sue me.

So ya this has been my morning so far. I have a van and another truck showing up in the afternoon and I do not want to do anything right now.

And to top it off, while just finishing my rant, my delivery shows up. I have 5 rolls coming in. 24x50 of 651 black, 24x50 751 black, 651 red, 651 white, and 751 Silver Metallic.

The 651's are correct the 2 751's came as 631. The invoice has 751 and the price for 751 but sent me interior crap. I needed the Silver for the Van coming in about an hour.

FML :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

SD&F

Me thinks it is time to finish up and go fishing. This entitles you one free Monday to have no worries.

Tigertron

Hey I feel for you. It happens every so often. But...

I was not aware of the ADOT regulation. That seems odd why would they care about advertising? Anyone know if California is the same? I thought Az was more libitarian than that.

lexsigns

yup go home or back to bed- beauty of being self employed some days. At the very least take an hour or 2 lunch nap or chill and start over later. The days that are a comedy of errors wont get better till you change your attitude somehow...

Tell the ones coming there is a delay, emergency or the material is wrong and your sorry. They will live you need your sanity!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just go home, drink heavily, not come in tomorrow and the problems will all still be here Thursday when you return. At least you get a break.

showcase 66

I was not aware of the ADOT regulation. That seems odd why would they care about advertising? Anyone know if California is the same? I thought Az was more libitarian than that.

It's fricken stupid. Its the Port Entry that is enforcing it here locally. According to ADOT if you are a part of a business and you have any type of advertising on your vehicle, your vehicle needs to be registered commercial. Even the Scentsy, pampered chef, etc.

I was even told if you have just a website on your backglass, that could be considered advertising and you would need commercial plates for that.

Basically they want you to pay more money to the state so you can advertise your own business. I asked what if it is just a logo, no contact info or anything like that. Still the same they said. So I asked what about someone who buys a Harley Davidson decal from the Harley shop. They said that is different.

Different, thats a fricken logo and advertisement for HD. They said if it something they purchase then it becomes an accessory to the vehicle. I then said well do you think I f***** give away the decals for their vehicle. They fricken purchase them so in your words they are technically accessories to their vehicle. Right?

She got quiet and then said I need to call port authority gave me the number and then hung up.

Called port authority, and they said that it was the law and they will enforce it until it is changed. They also told me that the Highway Patrol is suppose to start enforcing it. Going to call a buddy of mine who is a DPS officer. Going to ask him about it later today.

Fricken stupid. That is all I am going to say.

I need a drink.

Tigertron

Called port authority, and they said that it was the law and they will enforce it until it is changed. They also told me that the Highway Patrol is suppose to start enforcing it. Going to call a buddy of mine who is a DPS officer. Going to ask him about it later today.

Fricken stupid. That is all I am going to say.

I need a drink.

Yeah. And have one for me. Let's us know what you find out because this is news to me. Certainly a new question to ask before putting anything on a vehicle

Border

Drink Heavily.
It won't fix anything though but that's my best advice and also what I am about to do after a frustrating day I also had.

H E A V I L Y

:toasting:

cajun312

I've had customers whose insurance companies have forced them to remove company logos from vehicles that aren't insured as commercial vehicles.

showcase 66

It look like they are busting them for not stopping at the inpspection stations too. That is insane! I never stop at those even though I drive a registered business vehicle. I do quite a bit of work on the ca az border I think I'll just stay on the ca side.

http://kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=46337

Thats the same ones that fined the guy this morning. However. He will probably get out of his fine as he is waiting his commercial plates to come in.

I have a feeling Magnets are going to become very popular here. Something they can take off when they head to the river or Vegas.

showcase 66

Just got a call from the officer at the port authority.

They will not pull you over for advertising on your vehicle. They can issue a fine if you are speeding or driving recklessly. They have put a stop to all that kind of fines. I told him about the client that had called me this morning after he was pulled over. Described the car and he said that he was the one who pulled over the car. He did not fine him for his advertising, he stopped him for speeding which involved him not having his paper license had come off the car from the dealership.

That is what he would be fined for if he doesnt show proof withing 30 days.

All fines from the previous year were dismissed.

Now if your vehicle is a 1 ton or larger, than you can be fined for not having commercial plates. Or lets say you have a 3/4 ton truck and you are overloaded and get pulled over, then you will be either fined or required to get commercial plates for the vehicle.

I was invited to the port authority next week to go over all the regulations with two of the officers. Maybe I can get some other info I can pass along.

Tigertron

Good to hear. Thanks for the update. I should be safe then. I drive a F150 and the biggest thing in there is me.

weaselboogie

He did not fine him for his advertising, he stopped him for speeding which involved him not having his paper license had come off the car from the dealership.

So your customer was lying to you? It will be nice to throw that back in his face if he pursues it.

You gotta stop letting these customers dictate your schedule. Plan for enough time to do the project and if they dont like it, tough.

lexsigns

So your customer was lying to you? It will be nice to throw that back in his face if he pursues it.

You gotta stop letting these customers dictate your schedule. Plan for enough time to do the project and if they dont like it, tough.
+1
see my post from yesterday!! I did it and it felt DAM GOOD!

cdiesel

Damn BJ! At least you know you don't have to worry about getting sued.. (not that you had ANY liability at all).

Advertising on a vehicle, as long as it's done safely (ie, don't cover the windshield) can't be regulated as was being done by a few officers who were incorrectly interpretting the law, just as the first person you spoke to at the port authority. Then, ever Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc badge would have to come off of every vehicle on the road, along with the Goodyear from the tires. That's why all of the fines were dropped.

Your jackass customer got pulled over for speeding, and the cop probably mentioned something about being registered commercially.. he took that as he was being targeted for the supposed commercial violation. I guess that's karma coming back to bite him in the *** for how he acted earlier this morning!