• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Media Rack?

MAB SIGNS

I need to make up a new Digital Media Rack or buy one, I was curious as to what some of you might recommend? I'm printing with an HP5000 with UV Ink, solvent is outsourced. I have floor and or wall space for one but want to make the best decision, I don't like clutter or knocking over rolls of stuff!

:thankyou:

Mark

Flame

You mean to hold your rolls of paper, vinyl etc?

I built my own. Check out this pic of one of them. Just screw them into the wall and they worked out nicely. I originally made them to hold the rolls on each dowell sticking out, but I found I could hold a lot more by simply putting two close together and rolling the media into each slot I formed (if that makes sense).

I can give you dimensions too if you want.

Attachments

• Media rack.jpg
    Media rack.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 212

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Downside to what youre doing there is putting a Dent where the material sits on the wooden dowels. I know most come in boxes...BUT if you have larger diameter tubes, cut the tubes lengthwise and place the substrates in the clamshell of the tube. Prevents the denting that can cause headstrikes and all.

iSign

I use the floor racks that have castors. The price is the worst thing about them, so I just look the other way when I order. I have 3 of them

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What assortment of roll sizes do you have ?? We have 15”, 24”, 30” 48” & 54”. From 2” x 4”s, we made a grid system on the wall. Consists of uprights every 32”, skipping every other wall joist. To those we screwed in horizontal 2” x 4”s with dowels tapped in on a slight upward angle. These hold all of our 24, 30 and 48” rolls. Nothing touches each other, no lifting of any rolls to get to another. Our 15” rolls are all in boxes on a shelf system. Our 54” are on their bottom brace standing upright for now. They are supported rather well, but we’re going to build a swinging type shelf system for them since we only have maybe 15 rolls of media in that size. We just aren’t sure how we’re going to stabilize hundreds of pounds on media on one main support and still have the ability to swing them out, one at a time. I think steel and ball bearings are going to come into play next. I’ll try to take a picture for you.

Flame

Downside to what youre doing there is putting a Dent where the material sits on the wooden dowels. I know most come in boxes...BUT if you have larger diameter tubes, cut the tubes lengthwise and place the substrates in the clamshell of the tube. Prevents the denting that can cause headstrikes and all.

I'm in a tight space at the moment and don't have too much of a choice. I have over a hundred rolls, and I'm working in 400 Sq. ft.

BUT... I haven't really experienced any denting to be perfectly honest. Maybe because I use all of the rolls a lot and they don't sit in one spot for more than a week or so, but I've never had any issues with denting and/ or headstrike.

Replicator

Got this at Fellers . . .

Cant remember the cost, but we got this at Fellers - Part#WRACK

800-654-8405

Attachments

• wrack.jpg
    wrack.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 133

mladams7259

I use the same rack Replicator does. I also have 2 small 16 roll holders mounted on the wall, one on top of the other. As for smaller 12 or 15 inch rolls they are on a table. I keep my heavier material, magnets and such on a heavy duty rack.
I attached a few pics

Attachments

• 100_1385.JPG
    100_1385.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_1386.JPG
    100_1386.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_1387.JPG
    100_1387.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_1388.JPG
    100_1388.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 179

Billct2

I put shelves under the 5'x8' table we have next to the printer for handling the prints. I keep the media in the box it came in so I can keep track of what's what by looking at the end of the box.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I'm in a tight space at the moment and don't have too much of a choice. I have over a hundred rolls, and I'm working in 400 Sq. ft.

BUT... I haven't really experienced any denting to be perfectly honest. Maybe because I use all of the rolls a lot and they don't sit in one spot for more than a week or so, but I've never had any issues with denting and/ or headstrike.

Well if something isnt sitting for that long then its great. I get rolls of material that I have to stock and it might see the light of day once every 3 weeks if im lucky. Also Im using rolls that are quite heavy...upwards of 100#'s or more. All my smaller media stands vertical against a wall behind my printer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here’s some pictures from two angles and one in the middle of last week while stuff is lying around everywhere.

We’re the same way, little rolls [15” & 30”] won’t get hurt while lying on their side, but those bigger rolls get flat spots in them even after sitting for a day or two. Then the ink lays down differently and gives a slanted look to those spots or indentations. I’d never store any 54” roll of anything on its side like that.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• vinyls.jpg
    vinyls.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 153
  • media.jpg
    media.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 166
  • schlouchie prints.jpg
    schlouchie prints.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 158

MAB SIGNS

hey thanks to all of your posts, we have several wall racks for vinyl but I was trying to see if anyone was doing anything new and exciting with print media racks. Looks like I need to buy a couple of floor racks and call it a day. From those pics I think we should see who has the most vinyl rolls lol. I don't have that much.

Good day,

Mark

maxxgraphix

Most of my rolls are 54" and heavy. I took a 1x8" wide by 96 long board and routed a 2.125" circle in it spaced about 8 inches apart. Take some 2" roll cores and cut to 18" lengths. Gorila glue your tubes into the board. Now you have a verticle media stand for about $6.00

Another rack is to use a metal shelf for your 24" rolls. Bolt some 2x4's onto the sides slanted down. Screw on closet pole holders to the 2x4's or notch the 2x4's. Then cut some metal conduit to go between the 2x4's. Slide your media onto the poles. You can lift off a roll by lifting and sliding it off the conduit. You can get 3 rows deep and 6 columns on a large gorilla rack.

S

Stan B

for smaller rolls I use the floor stand from Fellers, but the bigger (36"-54" rols) I just store vertical right on the floor sitting on its plastic part from the box (like all oracal comes with). I use it quite often so it has no time to distort. saves lots of space too