• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Printer for Posters?

sfnum8

After pricing single poster prints in my area for a new project I am working on, I have decided I would be better off buying my own printer, but I have no idea where to begin.

I need a fairly low priced printer, I assume it would be a digital printer that will print 24"+ wide. This will be a low volume printer, just 1-2 prints at a time. It needs to be able to print on 100# Gloss Text paper. The prints will be mostly black and white, like a calender with a colored logo.

Any recommendations?

Any idea what the cost per print would be to print a poster 24" x 32"?

Thanks

Last edited:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can get you a HP-L25500 brand new 42" Latex printer for $8900.00 and you can print on a product for posters that will match your 100# almost identically for only $0.10 a sq.ft that would be the best possible solution for you I think.

Tim Aucoin

Sounds like you have it all figured out already! But really... use the search feature on this forum and you'll be amazed at what you can find with very little effort. Expect to invest a minimum of $10-15K to do it right, otherwise you're just wasting your time and money! Is this a one-time project? Are you planning on getting into the poster printing business? Lots of questions to answer before you'll get "good" answers!

Good luck and welcome from Calgary, Alberta!

Mosh

After pricing homes in my area I decided to buy a hammer and build my own home. Can you tell me what hammer will be the best to build my house? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

What software, what media? We have over $250K in equipment in our shop, how much do you want to spend? Answer that first, min $10K.

10sacer

Posters

Your choices are HP, Epson and Canon

Figure out what you want to spend, how many colors you really need (some go up to 12 color) what your majority run width will be (24", 36", 44", 64", etc.) and how often you will be running it (some don't like to sit for too long between use).

Now don't forget that if you ever need to provide critical color match or somewhat predictable color output that you will need to have some sort of RIP and some sort of color profiling. Some of these (HP) come with spectros built into them to make it a little easier for you.

Oh... once you have all that... make sure you have a good environment that you can control temperature and humidity within whatever printer's tolerance or you will end up playing "chase the color"

Of course there is so much more to this, but you get the idea. Didn't even get into inks and medias.

Hope this helps.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Where are you at in Ohio?
We can provide poster prints for you at a good price if you're near SW ohio. For a small volume like you posted, I can't see how the investment would be worth your while.

saktrnch

After pricing homes in my area I decided to buy a hammer and build my own home. Can you tell me what hammer will be the best to build my house?

Mosh, I have a 22 oz California framer, with a smooth face, not the waffle face. It works every time, no maintenance.

A nice $10,000.00 printer and your rolling pin for mounting laminate should be all you need to get the job done!
Post some pictures when your done so we can see how they come out!

Bill Modzel

Take a look in the HP forum topic. If you can find a used 5500 in good condition you could be in good shape for not to many bucks. For indoor posters it's a winner.

However, if you're planning on expanding your product line with outdoor vinyl or banners, than it's time to look into a decent solvent printer.

signswi

Epson 7900 fits the bill (or even an older 7700), no need to get crazy if all you're doing is poster/photo printing and don't need non-paper mediums or outdoor use. Have fun learning the giclee industry just to print a few posters...

sfnum8

After pricing homes in my area I decided to buy a hammer and build my own home. Can you tell me what hammer will be the best to build my house? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

What software, what media? We have over $250K in equipment in our shop, how much do you want to spend? Answer that first, min $10K.

Like I said, this is all completely new to me. I guess I was under the assumption that I could just use my current Photoshop software/.jpg images send them to the printer and print. I originally estimated about $5,000 for a 24" printer. That was after just doing a quick google search like this 44" http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-3328061-12600-3328080-4122732.html for $5,495.

The reason I came to this forum was to get some recommendations for a decent printer from the experts. To me at first glance that HP would seem like a decent printer, but based on everyone's min 10K obviously it's not.

Thanks to all who have responded without being a smarta**!

Rodi

Wouldn't be Signs 101 without at least 6 wiseasses to a post like this, I think Fred dishes out some candy at the end of the year for some of them. :)

quote>>
Thanks to all who have responded without being a smarta**!

nobody is being a smarta** there giving you a valid point! for a decent printer your looking at, at least 10-15k + rip/software/materials etc and then your going to need a laminator. if you only need it for a small amount of posters give one of the merchant members here a quick email and have them print them wholesale for you untill you get enough work in to invest in the correct equipement.

Raulrdz

If your thinking of indoor or short term outdoor posters Canon IPF series is very good, the "S" series. I have the IPF 8000s eight color, it works great. If you don't plan on printing a lot it's a great printer it is more resistant to head clogging as long as you keep the power on. On the other hand if you do a lot of printing it has great print speed. I've had the 42" 8000s for two years and no problems. Check them out at Lexjet.com they have good info, but do your comparative shopping sometimes you can find the 24" for about two grand and the 42" for under five. Print directly out of your photoshop, illi, etc. or add a RIP if you prefer.

Mosh

The use of an air nailer is not a good idea for framing a house. The use of the good old hammer insures boards are hit tight together. With a numadic the nail shoots through and if there is a gap the gap stays. If you use a hammer for framing then the gap gets "beat" down and the studs are tight together.

Thank you.

klemgraphics

The use of an air nailer is not a good idea for framing a house. The use of the good old hammer insures boards are hit tight together. With a numadic the nail shoots through and if there is a gap the gap stays. If you use a hammer for framing then the gap gets "beat" down and the studs are tight together.

Thank you.
You must not have taught your former employees this rule, I see them using air nailers on every house they build in my neighborhood.:ROFLMAO:

Couldn't resist.