• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you think i'm "high"?

S

scarface

Hey everyone, I know i would get better replies in the premium section but i haven't renewed it yet.

Had a customer today want a banner and a double sided 4x8' sign done and said "man, is that the best you can do" and i honestly said i'm a guy trying to make a living just like you, my prices are my prices.

I thought i was very fair

4x8' sign, 2 sides supplying INSTALLED lettering 2 color (printed) only on 3651 with 210, not a substrate. Lettered area is 7x3.5' on each side $435

1 printed banner 2.5x15' $225

The guys supposed to drop 75% of the payment off this evening, we'll see how that goes since i'm guessing hes calling every shop in the area right about now (6pm lol)

Thanks!

cdiesel

The banner looks a little high, but that could depend on the design. If it's complex you're in the ballpark.

S

scarface

I'm at $6 PSF for banners, that's what most people are getting locally here for printed

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The 4' x 8' sounds too high and the banner sounds too low. However, as usual, you really don't have enough information to make a sensible price. Out here, many people won't give you a good idea in pricing because of all the many lurkers that are end users now combing the site for the same answers you want.

It's getting tough out here whether you've renewed or not. Some answers are just considered too much privileged information to just pass around irresponsibly.

S

scarface

Just checked the 4x8 with the 09 sign pricing guide and it's dead on.

Thanks everyone!

S

scarface

Well i got the jobs everyone, They paid me $500 of the $660 tonight. Printing the banner now :)

If i could get more jobs like this i think i would be much happier. I hope things continue to go well.

Thanks for all the price checking!

tomence

scarface have you tried to find yourself some work lately like go out and knock on some doors talk to ppl just be out there in front of ppl. I see you here everytime you talk like you are very dissapointed. Don't be negative like saying how you guys get jobs and i can't stuff like that. Stop looking at the others, sit down and write a plan think what will work best for you and go after it. I mean what are you best at. One other thing just came to my mind, i have few screen printer friends and none of them have any digital priners nor they offer any other stuff like business cards, flyers, brochures etc. The funny thing is they get lot of requests for this stuff. So one day i was with one of this friends when a cutomer walks in to order some shirts and asks him if they do any digital printing he needed few banners. My friend says no we don't do that but then i jumped in and said man i mean i didn't know you get requests for stuff like banners. So i said to him take the job and i will do it for you. Since than he has given me tons of jobs. Another screen printer that i went to have a HP water based printer and does banners and posters only for indoors, so i offer my services for outdoor banners and now he always calls me and gives me work. He says i cost him less than what his costs are to use his printer and inks and material for indoor banners. Of course he pays wholesale price.
This is just to give you some ideas of where you can get some work.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hey everyone, I know i would get better replies in the premium section but i haven't renewed it yet.

Had a customer today want a banner and a double sided 4x8' sign done and said "man, is that the best you can do" and i honestly said i'm a guy trying to make a living just like you, my prices are my prices.

I thought i was very fair

4x8' sign, 2 sides supplying INSTALLED lettering 2 color (printed) only on 3651 with 210, not a substrate. Lettered area is 7x3.5' on each side $435

1 printed banner 2.5x15' $225

The guys supposed to drop 75% of the payment off this evening, we'll see how that goes since i'm guessing hes calling every shop in the area right about now (6pm lol)

Thanks!

Too cheap. In my shop a two sided 4x8 would be $535.00 plus 200% of whatever substrate was used. A 2.5'x15' banner would be $275.00. These would be FOB my shop, I don't install anything ever.

If those numbers manage to give some prospective client pause then I'm not all that sure I need to be doing business with them. Those are the prices. Period.

Salmoneye

You are cheaper than me, I don't even have a walk in shop and we are covered up. Some people ask everyone they do business with if that's the best they can do. Sometimes I say "let me put a pencil to it", scribble for about two minutes and say "I guess I could do it for $--.- (ten dollars less than I originally quoted for their $800. job) if that would help you out." They usually leave me alone on the price after that one figuring I don't have much of a margin to work with.

sjm

Too cheap. In my shop a two sided 4x8 would be $535.00 plus 200% of whatever substrate was used. A 2.5'x15' banner would be $275.00. These would be FOB my shop, I don't install anything ever.

If those numbers manage to give some prospective client pause then I'm not all that sure I need to be doing business with them. Those are the prices. Period.

Considers doing more retail and less wholesale business.

JR's

spot on Bob, you have to figure out what you have to make to keep the doors open and the lights on. ow ya and the toys in the drive way.

Scare face, don't go out for coffee for a week and pout the money to a membership. ;-}

JR

Craig Sjoquist

I think your price is ...LOW... but workable if not alot of hassle and 75% up front better

What need to seal the deal in cases like this is to show your ability"s
Like installs, design / layout of 4x8's & banners a before & after pictures
seeing your good work compared to other lower pricing will in most cases win

threads1

Hey Scar..I'm about 125 miles east of you and I'm a little more on the banner. I'm not sitting at my computer at work so I can't give a figure on the 2-sided and shouldn't do it here in the open.....I can tell you this.........last week a customer comes in and wants a lot of work done. I figure it all up and give him the price. He looks at it and asks me if I'm giving him a fair deal compared to the other sign shops in the area. I told him I had no idea what the other shops would charge or if their quality was even comparable but these are my prices and I think they are fair to both of us. He thought it was a good answer I guess and gave me close to 4 grand of work.

Some people are going to shop around........especially in this economy. You can't worry or get offended by it. Just give them a price and smile when you do it.

Jillbeans

I actually think it's tacky to knowingly post a price query out in the open and justify it by saying you haven't renewed yet.
Then come on and say you did get the job, and still not renew.
It's kind of like p!ssing in Fred's face.
It's not just you, if you think I am picking on you.
I see others do it too.
While I will offer design help
(or maybe it doesn't help, I offer it freely as practice for myself)
I won't post prices out in the open.
It is more than just pricing, really, when it comes down to it.
Signs by the pound have never worked well for me.
And if someone wants that, I don't mind if they take it elsewhere.
When I hear "Is that the best you can do?" it immediately disqualifies that person in my mind.
Love....Jill

GVP

When someone asks if I can do better, I offer to increase the price - well, it's better for me :tongue:

Allied Digital

When I hear "Is that the best you can do?" it immediately disqualifies that person in my mind.
Love....Jill
you go! this is my philosophy too! (as well as the part I took out of quoted post)

sjm

I actually think it's tacky to knowingly post a price query out in the open and justify it by saying you haven't renewed yet.
Then come on and say you did get the job, and still not renew.
It's kind of like p!ssing in Fred's face.
It's not just you, if you think I am picking on you.
I see others do it too.
While I will offer design help
(or maybe it doesn't help, I offer it freely as practice for myself)
I won't post prices out in the open.
It is more than just pricing, really, when it comes down to it.
Love....Jill

Think you still sell by the square foot which is out dated.