• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dry vs Wet Install & a thanks to iSign

GypsyGraphics

Believe it or not, before yesterday, I’d never EVER done a wet install. I’ve laid some pretty decent size graphics with various vinyls, including frosted/etched and never had an issue. It’s not so much that I thought dry was a better method in every instance, it just became the norm for me. I figured I’d try some wet apps eventually, even had some Rapid Tac on hand, just never got around to it. Until yesterday that is.

I was working on what should have been a quick and easy job, just some coro signs, three color cut vinyl. It was a rush job and I had enough of all three colors, just a smidge extra of what would be the full coverage solid blue base on 24” x 36” signs. But, no biggy, nothing new, except that the client wanted 8 mil coro rather than the usual 4 mil.

I’d tell you what went wrong, if I knew, but I don’t. I hadn’t laid vinyl on 8 mil before, so maybe the channels are deeper or something, hell I don’t know… all I know is I’d laid two solid sheets of what bore a striking resemblance to bubble wrap. By the time I’d done the second one, I knew I’d run out of my background vinyl if the next one turned out the same.

I PMed iSign who’d, in the past, called me a "dry install snob" and had just posted some bubble wrap jokes in my “Sign friends & musician’s” thread.”

The PM read…
OMG somebody just SHOOT ME!!!!!!!!

OMG you'd think i never laid a piece of (beeeeeep) vinyl in my entire life!!!!!!!!!

I HATE MY JOB TODAY!!!!!

Just laid the background for two signs and it looks like F'n bubble wrap!!!!!!!!!!!
two full 24x36" sheet of bubble wrap!

His first question was “wet or dry” and when I said dry, he asked "why not try wet." Having never installed wet, I was worried about trying something new, on a tight dealing and no spare vinyl.

Not 20 minutes later he'd made this video, sent me a link and said to call, if I had any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUS7J1gfgA

It was embarrassingly easy, went down perfectly and in nothing flat!

I sent him a PM that simple said "Perfection Achieved! Thank You Sensei!"
And his response, "You're Welcome GGrasshopper."

Last edited by a moderator:

SignManiac

I discovered a long time ago that lubrication can be invaluable in some situations. They make these wet products for a good reason. It's not always the Installers fault. I'd like to give a thumbs up to Astroglide, even though it's more pricey than RapidTac.

Last edited:

zmatalucci

If Im doing 24-18's, I turn the print over, peel the backing off, spray, lay my coro on top, flip over & squeege..

threads1

Rapid Tac made a believer out of me. I did an install last week with some large frost panels and it went on great.

Garbus

wet installation is awsome in many cases. though imo dry is often faster, depending on the job. Would like to watch the video, but when i clicked I got this message...:

(translated from danish, so if something sounds odd, that might be why =;o)

"Reported attackwebsite!
This website (islandsignmaui.com) has been reported as an attack website and has been blocked by your security settings.
Attack websites will try to install programs which will steal private information, use your computer to attack others or damage your system.
Some attackwebsites continues to distribute damaging software, while many others has been comprimised without their knowledge or accept from the owners of the website."

DAMN!!!

surf city

9:11 am 3 hours into the day and this was just a nice post to see, somebody helping someone just because they could.

petesign

Nice video, just a few things...

1. Big Squeegee, WOW, I want one of those. When I can't use the laminator to do applications on something like a 4x8, I can see how that would be NICE. I'll be calling for one of those today :)

2. Never done a wet application either. You are using Rapidtac? How long does it take to dry and does the end result have the same bond as when doing a dry application?

I love this website. :)
:thankyou:
-Pete

Bigdawg

Just Me
Sorry to thread pirate Gypsy...

iSign - your site has been compromised... I had to delete my entire site because they kept getting in through my javascript.

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for islandsignmaui.com

What is the current listing status for islandsignmaui.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 4 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-08-25, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-08-24.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including pqshow.org/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS31815 (MEDIATEMPLE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, islandsignmaui.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

iSign

BUMMER..
I have remained very proud of my website, in appearance, and the benefits it provides, so I also praised the website development work quite a bit at that time.

Although this sort of attack is no reflection on my company or the web development company, I'll leave his name out this time anyway, but I have forwarded Stacy's comments to him.

I am sending Stacy a new link, so the original one at the top of this thread can be changed to the youtube version of this video.

I'll also post it HERE

iSign

NOTE:
Bigdawg has changed the original link. (thanks)
Not that the video is of any earth shattering importance to folks, but for any who did want to view it, at least a safe location is now being pointed to, while I fight back against the hackers.

oh... almost forgot this morning was my first reply & suddenly I had site hacking to worry about, but thanks for the public praise gg. Glad to be able to offer a simple bit of installation advice that might have made a larger impact on a timely completion of a quality product.

Folks here have helped me in the same way so often, it an honor to be able to return the favor from time to time.

marcsitkin

Believe it or not, before yesterday, I’d never EVER done a wet install. I’ve laid some pretty decent size graphics with various vinyls, including frosted/etched and never had an issue. It’s not so much that I thought dry was a better method in every instance, it just became the norm for me. I figured I’d try some wet apps eventually, even had some Rapid Tac on hand, just never got around to it. Until yesterday that is.

I was working on what should have been a quick and easy job, just some coro signs, three color cut vinyl. It was a rush job and I had enough of all three colors, just a smidge extra of what would be the full coverage solid blue base on 24” x 36” signs. But, no biggy, nothing new, except that the client wanted 8 mil coro rather than the usual 4 mil.

I’d tell you what went wrong, if I knew, but I don’t. I hadn’t laid vinyl on 8 mil before, so maybe the channels are deeper or something, hell I don’t know… all I know is I’d laid two solid sheets of what bore a striking resemblance to bubble wrap. By the time I’d done the second one, I knew I’d run out of my background vinyl if the next one turned out the same.

I PMed iSign who’d, in the past, called me a "dry install snob" and had just posted some bubble wrap jokes in my “Sign friends & musician’s” thread.”

The PM read…
OMG somebody just SHOOT ME!!!!!!!!

OMG you'd think i never laid a piece of (beeeeeep) vinyl in my entire life!!!!!!!!!

I HATE MY JOB TODAY!!!!!

Just laid the background for two signs and it looks like F'n bubble wrap!!!!!!!!!!!
two full 24x36" sheet of bubble wrap!

His first question was “wet or dry” and when I said dry, he asked "why not try wet." Having never installed wet, I was worried about trying something new, on a tight dealing and no spare vinyl.

Not 20 minutes later he'd made this video, sent me a link and said to call, if I had any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUS7J1gfgA

It was embarrassingly easy, went down perfectly and in nothing flat!

I sent him a PM that simple said "Perfection Achieved! Thank You Sensei!"
And his response, "You're Welcome GGrasshopper."

We just tried this and although the vinyl went down easily using rapid tack, the adhesion seems to be extremely weak on coroplast. We'll keep an eye on it for a day, but after an hour, it's still very easy to lift.