• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual Monitors

Steve Prince

I've read a lot about how people love dual monitors. I found a great deal on a couple of 19" LCD's. Now... what do I do with them?

I'm thinking design on one, plotting & printing RIPs on the other.

What's the best way to use them?

Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Simply drag the window to the monitor preferred. It can be different applications or two windows of the same application.

My default setup has Firefox set to Signs 101 on my main monitor and my email client on the other.

iSign

I'm new to dual monitors, & I stick with one most of the time, when my work is focused on one program (although I imagine I'll start trying out tool palettes on one & work area on the other)... but when I get to those tasks with some frequent trips between two programs... that's when I love it!

njsigns

I maximize programs like CorelDraw and Photoshop, using the screen on the left as the main design area and the monitor on the right for all my "tools". It's also great to watch tutorials on one screen and follow on the other. It's also great for web development, coding on one and updating/refreshing multiple browsers in the other. What you find yourself utilizing them for will amaze you. I couldn't live with one monitor now...

Gene

anotherdog

erm... do you have a graphics card that can drive two monitors side by side?
Windows can certainly do the software, but you also need the hardware.

3dsignco

Most Video Cards are already set up for Dual Monitors. just plug in and activate.

I run triple 19s and a Cintiq tablet makes 4 and I do love it.

P7290332.JPG

RebeckaR

When I'm working after hours, sometimes I like to watch a movie on one of the screens while I'm designing on the other.

Wildpony

My main monitor is a 22" wide screen. I usually have my Flexi or Photoshop running on it, With the tools at the far right. My second monitor is a 17" and I usually have Adobe Bridge, Windows Explorer and my Sirius online radio on it.
Then I also have my Convertible Tablet Laptop next to that with Outlook, OneNote and Firefox on it. (any maybe some Facebook)

signpro

Manager
^ started with a 22" widescreen and a 19" widescreen, the two different sizes pissed me off after 2 days. so i traded the 19 in on another 22" wide. LOVE IT!

cgsigns_jamie

I have dual 23" Apple displays.

I'm running Windows Vista with Flexi and MS Office on the left and Mac OS X with Adobe CS4 on the right side.

907customs

I've been using dual 22"s for years, and love it, but recently went to a tripple with a 26" and the 2 22"s. The tripple setup isn't necessary, but it is nice. Dual's are a must when doing sign work, I'm always researching something on the net, while running Flexisign, and now photoshop on the 3rd. It's nice to just drag and drop between the programs too.

cdiesel

All of our design stations have duals.. I usually run the primary monitor with the graphic or program I'm working on, and the pallettes just to the right on the 2nd monitor. I also run Outlook on the 2nd monitor using most of the rest of the screen. Works great!

Tim Aucoin

26" LaCie for main monitor & a little 22" Acer as secondary. E-mail & Calendar are always open on monitor #2... the main is used for design, internet & whatever else I pretend to do every day! :rolleyes:
Rest of the shop are all iMac 20", except my designer. She runs a single 24" Samsung.

I run dual Dell 24" monitors here at home, using windows vista and ultramon to control the monitors independantly (recommend this software highly!).

One window normally contains CorelDRAW X4 and the other PhotoshopCS4, or if im doing photo-editing, one contains adobe bridge+RAW software and photoshop. Of if im just mucking around, one contains music+MSN and the other CorelDRAW :)

Could never go back to just one monitor anymore, so much more productive. Especially on the 24" monitors :)

jessew1987

I've always used my larger main (left) for Corel, and my right for folders,reference,firefox... basically everything else.