• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edward Jones

FASTSIGNS

I know the franchises are not popular on this site. And, of course, a good sign shop (independent or franchise) can uphold and meet the brand standards of any company. The discussion is that of EJ being a FASTSIGNS National account may be why the payment process is an issue. We have all had that first encounter with a national company whose accounting department needs form after form, contract, online reg, and COI etc on and on to get set up. Once that first payemnt is issued - it's relatively smooth sailing getting paid. I'm also confident that EJ has some derived value in their relationship with FS so as to continue. Not all of the FASTSIGNS National accounts have the stringent requirements that EJ has asked of FS. (ps I would never call corporate over this - we are all just trying to collect the bucks we make)!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Makes no sense to dislike the franchises. They are all independently owned and operated just like most sign companies. Only difference is the owners tend to not be from sign making backgrounds and thus, stick to printing and displays. And thr tax you pay on all your sales.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We have all had that first encounter with a national company whose accounting department needs form after form, contract, online reg, and COI etc on and on to get set up. Once that first payemnt is issued - it's relatively smooth sailing getting paid.
Exactly. You would figure after being in business for 30 years that people would know this by now. The trick is, get your vendor account setup on the front side before the job is completed. Sometimes, companies aren't willing to set up new vendors so it's good to know that at the beginning. The people ordering things aren't always aware of things like that.

I've seen lots of franchise shops over the years and they might not pose a threat as is, but when one closes it seems like two more will open. You have more and more of them popping up with less and less talent in them. That's been what I've noticed in my area. As Gino said there are many in this area that have been run out of town due to their subpar everything down to their outright lying to people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got that right. :thumb:

I know for a fact that many of the local fastsigns ex-customers had no clue how to really find out about other sign shops. Because of the goon in the one around here, I took in thousands and thousands of dollars worth of sales. After talking to these people, the main thing they lacked..... besides talent, was the shear fact they had no knowledge of what or how to do anything. They relied on corporate for everything. They would tell the customer some cockamimie story and they'd believe it. They didn't talk to the people but basically just told them, this is how it is. They didn't discuss things, cause they didn't know how. They were so incompetent, it was horrible what I walked into....but good a the same time. However, on almost every job I got from their old customer list...... I coulda practically doubled my costs and still been lower than them.

I'm sure, Ray had some similar situations.

CanuckSigns

I have no idea how the local FastSigns near me is still in business, between the high retail rent they need to pay, plus the 6-8% fastsigns takes off the top, add to that that a "good size" job for them is an order for 20 yard signs.

Johnny Best

How much does a sign franchise cost? Do you have to buy material from them. Can you buy a flatbed printer without going through the franchise. Is Fastsigns the most expensive?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They don't need need to buy from anyone.. they use the same suppliers everyone else does. Some of them do good business, they can charge a higher rate because of the name recognition.
Corporate most likely negotiates supply pricing on a national level which is a plus for the franchisees. Just like any other business, it's all about what the person running the show does with it, some are good, some are bad.

3Dsigns

Well these chicken thieves finally paid us. Electronic transfer 71 days after the install/invoice. I may be a "dumb***" but at least I pay my bills on time and don't give people the run around.

RickP

Just sign the thing. What are you gonna lien? if you did an install, do you even have lien rights? Down here you have to file an NTO on the front side. Do you honestly think that they're not going to pay you? It's not as if it's some bonehead off of the street. They're in the same boat as you, if they send the check, there's no telling if you're going to sign it. It's not unheard of for a company to ask for the release right before they send the check. If they're sketchy, then you go to their office and swap papers.
You'll be lucky if you can collect the late fee. The answer I always get is that it's company policy not to pay late fees.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This late fee payments and all the other stuff pertaining to terms. If you are dealing with a company which has shareholders, which most do.... all you hafta do is to outline terms as being 1% if paid within 2 days or 30 days. By law, they must protect their shareholders interests by abiding by YOUR set terms in the beginning...... not later on. They must also keep their shareholders outta trouble by not letting things go beyond term limits, thus collecting interest or penalties. Ya just hafta do it upfront and be honest about it and not get emotional and temperamental about things, when they don't go your way and then make all kindsa idle threats.