• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edward Jones

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I know for sure about business is to be sure all of your terms are outlined, specified and in writing, signed, dated and you have a copy in your possession to begin work. Whether or not you get a deposit is up to you, but I always get a deposit of at least 1/2, unless it's a repeat good customer and I know them for years. However, even with a good customer.... over a certain amount and they too, pay a deposit to cover some upfront costs.

As for this waiver thingie..... I've had it happen numerous times. That's when you either show up in person or send an alarming letter through snail mail with a return receipt attached outlining what you will do and give them a letter of demand. The letter of demand has always worked for me throughout the years. Hadda use it less then 10 times over 50 years. Like I said, it works almost instantly.

Some companies have people set up in positions just to f*ck with payments and come up with all kindsa excuses not to pay. If they didn't have those people, they wouldn't have a job, so they use them, as needed. It's a shame people are not honest anymore, but you need to protect yourself and your property. The waiver they wanted you to sign, is usually performed after they pay you, so I don't quite understand their doing it early ?? Sounds like they might have some imbecile doing their dirty deeds. Maybe you should now inquire to some higher up in their company as to why this harrassment was sent to you. Tell them you intend to notify the proper authorities of their abuse of such matters.

3Dsigns

Ok they just sent this.... They shorted me fees for the last 11 days but $28 bucks isn't worth squabbling over. As soon as it clears my bank, I'll send their waiver, it's already signed and saved. Just shoot the email over and do what I promised.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 134

3Dsigns

Ok, here's a revised invoice with a late fee clause at bottom. Should I word it any differently?

Attachments

• Signworks Invoice 2.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 177

3Dsigns

Other franchisees will see your sign and want one for themselves...get ready!!
Thank you. Whether they do or not, I intend to send an email or call the local financial advisor, after this is completed, and thank him for his kind and conscientious help. He and his staff have been super nice.

3Dsigns

Also curious about this!
I sold my all of my commercial sandblasting rig; 600lb pot on a trailer, 4 cylinder engine screw compressor and Bullard respirator system, said I was getting out of it for good. But one of my good clients, another sign shop, along with CNC work, kept occasionally ordering sandblast jobs so I bought a little Harbor Freight pot and a cheap Chinese respirator just to do that. Anyway the first sign (Davis) was sandblasted and all the rest were done on my router. I also have a CNC hotwire machine which I totally designed and built. It can handle two 3x4x10 EPS blocks simultaneously. And then there's the 4x8 plasma cutter which I haven't set up yet. I have begun building another 4x8 router table, with hybrid servos, helical rack and pinion drive, which will be much faster than my old PRT96 ShopBot, so It will do those backgrounds more quickly. This is the hotwire contraption..... https://www.facebook.com/Think3D-CNC-451568945003095

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I sold my all of my commercial sandblasting rig; 600lb pot on a trailer, 4 cylinder engine screw compressor and Bullard respirator system, said I was getting out of it for good. But one of my good clients, another sign shop, along with CNC work, kept occasionally ordering sandblast jobs so I bought a little Harbor Freight pot and a cheap Chinese respirator just to do that. Anyway the first sign (Davis) was sandblasted and all the rest were done on my router. I also have a CNC hotwire machine which I totally designed and built. It can handle two 3x4x10 EPS blocks simultaneously. And then there's the 4x8 plasma cutter which I haven't set up yet. I have begun building another 4x8 router table, with hybrid servos, helical rack and pinion drive, which will be much faster than my old PRT96 ShopBot, so It will do those backgrounds more quickly. This is the hotwire contraption..... https://www.facebook.com/Think3D-CNC-451568945003095
What did you have for a compressor? An old Smith?

3Dsigns

It was an old Joy had a 4-cylinder international engine. If I remember right it pumped about 125 cfms. Now I just use the two shop compressors which put out about 38 together

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

It was an old Joy had a 4-cylinder international engine. If I remember right it pumped about 125 cfms. Now I just use the two shop compressors which put out about 38 together
Was the Davis sign foam or redwood/cedar? Can you get a realistic woodgrain look blasting sign foam using some sort of wire overlay to mimic the grain?

3Dsigns

Was the Davis sign foam or redwood/cedar? Can you get a realistic woodgrain look blasting sign foam using some sort of wire overlay to mimic the grain?
Signfoam. It was done with my home-built grain frame. The Davis sign was over 15 years old when that photo was taken. we had just cleaned it and added new paint. Paints fade over time but they don't split, crack and peel on HDU like they do on wood; at least not from my quite lengthy experience. I have used tons of redwood over the years, still have several boards left in my shop. But I haven't used it in a long time. HDU is far superior material.

Notarealsignguy

Signfoam. It was done with my home-built grain frame. The Davis sign was over 15 years old when that photo was taken. we had just cleaned it and added new paint. Paints fade over time but they don't split, crack and peel on HDU like they do on wood; at least not from my quite lengthy experience. I have used tons of redwood over the years, still have several boards left in my shop. But I haven't used it in a long time. HDU is far superior material.
I need to make a new sign for our shop and we have blasters, 600lb pots like you had. I know there's probably an art to making your wire frame but do you have any suggestions if we were to give it a whirl? Like wire type/gauge, spacing or anything else? Our compressor is a 375cfm but I think if we backed off and kept it moving that it would work fine. I'd do some dry runs on scrap first.

3Dsigns

This another I did on the router using a "chip carved" texture background. I actually like the look better than sandblasted and I don't have to breathe anymore of that dangerous silica.

Attachments

• 10863984_10152834001570709_6141101264614861868_o.jpg
    10863984_10152834001570709_6141101264614861868_o.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 121