• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Email me a digital copy for our new website.....

slappy

what do i do? should i charge? I'll have time into converting the flexi file.
I only did it as a layout on a vehicle and charged for the vehicle being lettered.. but now they are calling it a logo now and want it for the website.

How should I handle this?

SignProPlus-Chip

If you don't have the time into it as a proper logo design, charge them a nominal fee for the conversion of the file and let it go.

If it were intended to be a logo from the get go, you would have charged for it in the first place, right? Put in more effort, polish etc...?

"How would you like to pay our standard file transfer fee of $350? will that be cash, check or charge?"

If I tried that around here, there would be 5 minutes of laughter and they'd probably get their trucks lettered elsewhere in the future. Unless I thought it was a shady customer looking to get artwork to take elsewhere for future business, I'd send them a low-res jpg.

slappy

here is the email:

"Hey Stephanie,

My name is Sammy Sam and I'm currently working on a website for Pete's Store and Pete told me you were the one to work up his new logo and I wanted to know if you could send me a digital copy for the website?

Prefer no background
"

I worked up a mockup/proof for a truck

slappy

I don't have a problem giving it up... but not going to just hand it over for free.

Does anyone have a onetime release statement example?
Should I charge $25 for the conversion???

What file has no background? GIF?

MikePro

all depends on what you want to do.
does it really take you too much time? does it seem fishy?
most of the time, we're willing to fork-over the file. its so few and far between, especially with our demand for proper files on the front-end or a setup fee to redraw a logo, that it's really no skin off our backs on the back-end to keep a paying client happy.

save to a medium res .png and email it, imho.

Mosh

Send them the flexi file or whatever, when they can't use it that is when you tell them you can convert it for $25 or whatever....

Baz

25 bucks is nothing today.

I would be at a MINIMUM of 75.00$ to send over a decent quality file. (And for web use i would not be giving the vector art).

peavey123

Just send them a .png (for the transparent background) Size it to be about 400px-500px x whatever. Charging $350 for a png is cray cray.

Joe Diaz

What ever you decide for this particular case, you should consider changing the way you sell design (up front) so that this doesn't become a recurring issue in the future. When people want design work done for their sign, vehicle lettering, ect, we give them a couple options: Pay for a design for that one application, or buy a logo and go through the logo design process. If they go with the first option, we own the art, they can return to us every time they want to use the art. Option 2, since the design will be used as a logo, and paid for as a logo, we go through the proper logo design process where at the end they are handed a disk with their logo in all the formats they could possibly need.

Believe it or not, if you set this up right, and distinguish the difference between a logo and a one off design, you can sell a lot of logos, because most people want logos. I honestly believe that many people hire sign makers or printers to do the design work with the hopes that they can get more out of that design and use it as a logo without paying for a logo and going through the proper logo design process.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Slappy, this is something that has been happening for a long time in the sign industry. However, with the computer doing most of the work, it can be done quite easily and almost everyone knows it.

You can set up a new way of introducing people to your design/layout upfront charge and probably tick off most everyone or you can be [somewhat] honest with them and tell them your design is in a proprietary format and needs to be converted for them to use as they need. This process will require a day or two to manufacture and your starting fee is.... $195. Nothing accompanies this file except a receipt... PAID UPFRONT. If they wish to have the file in various formats and have some slicks or separations included, it's $375. This gets rid of the lazy people who can't do their job properly.

How many times do you.... or anyone else in this place, get crappy artwork to vectorize or mimic without any additional help. We manage to do it, so.... so can their peeps.

Like Joe said, if someone approaches you and you can tell you're gonna need the various tiers of pricing out a layout/logo design, then it will work. Otherwise, how many people just say... I want my truck lettered ?? You do a mockup and they fall in love with it and THEN.. want the rights to it.