• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Engine Turn Bling Bling

slappy

1st- besides Sign Gold and Quick Gold, is there anyone else that makes this?? Is there imitation also?

2nd- And what's the process to cutting and installing it? Should it be applied dry or can it be applied wet? What blade for cutting?

3rd- I need to add black also, but do not have a printer? Can i just apply black vinyl?

4th- Is regular transfer tape like maintape or rtape 8075 fine to use on the gold?

5th- What lam do you use? I heard you have to lam it? Can i apply that wet?

Sorry so many questions, i've never dealt with gold before and interested in making a nice memorial sign to learn.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1st- besides Sign Gold and Quick Gold, is there anyone else that makes this?? Is there imitation also?
Lotsa manufacturers do. Just pick one.

2nd- And what's the process to cutting and installing it? Should it be applied dry or can it be applied wet? What blade for cutting?
Dry and a little extra down force.

3rd- I need to add black also, but do not have a printer? Can i just apply black vinyl?
Use the black as the first layer and the gold on top.

4th- Is regular transfer tape like maintape or rtape 8075 fine to use on the gold?
Any application tape will basically work.

5th- What lam do you use? I heard you have to lam it? Can i apply that wet?
We don't laminate it at all.

Sorry so many questions, i've never dealt with gold before and interested in making a nice memorial sign to learn.

It's a snap to work with.

Pat Whatley

What Gino said. I like the Schein Holographics film from Sign Warehouse. They recently changed it so that it's thicker. Cuts the same as always but weeds like it was regular vinyl. Absolutely beautiful stuff to work with. DO NOT USE IT OUTDOORS. Sunlight kills the color....it will fade to dull silver in six months. Indoors I've got doors I did five years ago that look like new. Unfortunately, from what I've experienced, if you want outdoor gold you're gonna have to use real gold.

SignManiac

I've looked at a couple of signs I did fifteen years ago in sign gold and the stuff just seems to last forever...

Pat Whatley

Why would edge sealing matter for fading? It's gold....a mineral. I thought the edge sealing was just to keep the laminate from peeling.

visual800

What Gino said. I like the Schein Holographics film from Sign Warehouse. They recently changed it so that it's thicker. Cuts the same as always but weeds like it was regular vinyl. Absolutely beautiful stuff to work with. DO NOT USE IT OUTDOORS. Sunlight kills the color....it will fade to dull silver in six months. Indoors I've got doors I did five years ago that look like new. Unfortunately, from what I've experienced, if you want outdoor gold you're gonna have to use real gold.

not necessarily. Ive clearcoated imitation gold and its lasted outside for several years. you do not need real gold

slappy

Thanks everyone for the responses. I want it to last outside cause it will be a memorial on a vehicle, so 22k is the way to go.

And i'm just finding out sign gold is quick sign gold from my research. I cannot find anyone else that makes the real gold.

Then I learned there is 22k and 23.5k and one is yellower then the other, but the lady that answered the phone couldn't say which is which.... but i did request samples.

Then Fellers and Glantz only stock the 22K, so i'm going to assume that is the more popular of the colors..

Also, she told me to edge seal it... But with what? Seal it pen or 3M edge sealer??? What are you all using??

Also, she said it has a clear already on it when i asked about laminating it....

BTW, Any MM print on this?

Any other suggestions for me too are appreciated Thanks:smile:

letterman7

I get my printable SignGold from Beacon. Usually ships within a day to me. I've never had to edge seal SG, but I do laminate the prints. Done more than several fire apparatus with no failures yet (knock wood).

Billct2

From what I understand SignGold no longer has a clear laminate, it is all thermal printable.
We use frog juice, and seal-it pens, but for real longevity apply clear cast vinyl with an 1/8" overlap.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
From what I understand SignGold no longer has a clear laminate, it is all thermal printable.
SignGold has always been composed of a tough Tedlar laminate and built from the underside. They also have a thermal printable version...

Malkin

When I use SignGold I always design in an outline that I then use to trap over the edge of the gold (just like you would with translucents) The edges do tend to brown up and lift a bit of you don't, but when you do, it will last and last. 10 years and counting.....

Billct2

SignGold has always been composed of a tough Tedlar laminate and built from the underside. They also have a thermal printable version...
Unless I was misinformed this is no longer the case. All their products are now thermal printable, you can't thermal print on tedlar.