• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover Design Contest

Air Art Girl

Marlene, I hear you on that but, we are small town here some living in this small valley, I either know who owns most of the businesses or know someone who knows them. I think it is all in how these people are approached. I was friends with a former partner in the Bad Girls business who has since moved away from the area and know who this owner is and a bit about her. I think in this case I could persuade her to accept an improvement. But as you know, there are those self declared graphic designers out there. We had one customer want a particular photo on her business card simply because her daughter took the picture. It was not the best choice in our opinion but it was HER choice so that is what she got. But all in all, I see your point.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Good news, Bad News

Good News, we did sign on either side of the one in the middle. Bad news, well just take a look at what a store owner put between them. Great work huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

vid

At the risk of being nationalistic, so far the only image that makes sense to me to be a worthy candidate for an Extreme Makeover is Marlene's American Legion...
attachment.php

The others, while in dire need of augmentation, fall short of any altruistic value. Of course, some could be fun, but it seems as though signs of that flavor are routinely discussed in the design/layout forums already.

The benefits that I see working with Marlene's example... or similar, are:

1) An organization like the American Legion exists throughout the US and may be fodder for other signmakers in different locations. (...and most of the members have some great stories that shouldn't be forgotten.)

2) This particular example is not confined by any one style of sign. It could be an MDO sign w/vinyl, Dimensional, Carved, Illuminated... pretty much the full spectrum of fabrication by the Signs101 population.

3) It can be as easy or demanding as one would like to make it. It can simply be an exercise in typography or pushed further to include any number of different elements.

4) This example allows for multiple categories of judging...
By sign style. Cheapo, Dimensional, Illuminated
or
By sign cost ...based on what the signmaker would realistically quote. $50 - $75 / $1000-$2000 / $3000 - $5000 etc..........

Further, to get a sense of how others present their work, I think it'd be interesting to see the assignment include specifications as each shop includes them in their usual method of proofing to customers ...with a real world quote.

Not that that I'm voting yet..... There's still a week to ride around town and find that deserving candidate for the signs101 Extreme Makeover.

......but, that's what would interest me in this assignment, anyway.

Steve C.

It has occurred to me that it might be best for all entries, in this
contest, to be submitted to Fred, without being shown in this
thread and without having names attached. First, so that no
one will have a chance to build on the ideas of someone else
and only need to be better than the last entry. Second, so that
it does not become a popularity contest. Just an idea…..
:Coffee:

sandblast_dude

Sign-Man that sign is funny as hell. I'll bet you are proud to have that in between those other two you did!!!??? Holly Smokes... I can hardly even read it!!

Thats funny right there. I don't care who you are. That is funny.:biggrin:

Are people for real? Do you think that guy seriously think that sign looks good? Stupid question... Guess so, He hung it to atract business so I guess he does like it and think it looks good.

Wow.