• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover Design Contest

vid

I knew I should have taken a picture of "In the Name if Jesus Tires" when I lived in Phoenix... It's such a great name and such poorly spray painted/rolled graphics.

Anyone in Phoenix care to drive by and see if it's still at Baseline and 24th... maybe 16th? ...........ooops, shouldn't use the term, "drive by," and that address to encourage someone to visit that location. My mistake. Please go there during daylight hours to see if it's still there.

Marlene

Here's two of the signs I'd love to re-do. The American Legion I'm sure was done by a member with sign painting "talent". I just love the use of space on the arc. The next one is a diner. The picture is makes it look like there's more contrast between the blue and burgundy then there really is. The two colors blend together in real life. They did huge letters on diner to, I guess, make it stand out, then put it on a background with the same color value so that it doesn't show up at all, clever. The whole layout of of the sign, color choices the palcement of the oval and KJ's, it's all so pretty.

Attachments

• DINER.jpg
    DINER.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 465

Marlene

These are just a couple of the beauties we have around here! These two are a couple I drive by everyday. My husband, who hardly ever notices a sign, keeps asking me why I don't make the legion a sign and leave it on their doorstep as that one is too horrid. I've got some that are what I like to think of as good ideas gone bad that I'd like to submit too. They aren't horrid like this but each of them has something off about it that would be fun to fix. There's a lighted sign with an aprrox. 1' x 4' tenant panel with a white background. The company logo is round so instead of just putting the name of the company up there, they put the round logo in the middle. The sign looks blank from a distance but when you get up close, you can see a dot in the center. It's fine lines so even at a distance of about 5', you know it says something, but there's no way to tell what that is. another favorite of mine is the sign that's about 3' long with a company name that is really long. The sign guy must have said sure, I can put a 12" letter on your sign so he forced the copy to the point that the lettering looks like a bar code. these are some of the designs I would like to play with and fix up. I can see from some of the other posts some that would be just as much fun to fix.

Marlene

Yesterday when I took the photo of the diner, a guy was came out to see what I was up too and I drove away really quick as I didn't have the heart to tell him what I was doing!

Checkers

I think it would be fun to get the participants here, who are in need of a make-over, to submit their own logo/design/signage/etc.
It would help the individual while helping the trade :)

Checkers

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It would seem to me that scouting out the worst example of a sign ever discovered would not be as interesting as using a vanilla mediocre not so bad kind of sign as grist for this mill.

Is the objective to merely make a nice sign out of dreck or make an excellent sign out of a not so bad sign?

Anyone can re-bop a truly horrible sign where anything at all would represent an improvement orders of magnitude over the original. To take an existing so-so but functional sign and do a makeover keeping the original theme, size, and shape constraints intact requires far more skill and finesse.

Geary

But, Bob, when the rest of the world is mediocre....don't ya know it's easier to pick on the truly lame?

:tongue:

Checkers

True Gino,
But I'm sure there are many more that feel intimidated or embarrassed to step up and show their stuff.
Heck, I would even entertain posting some of my old designs if it meant I would get a free reworking of my design :)

Checkers

Steve C.

I guess it's ok to submit more than one?

Attachments

• 3Bs auto sales.jpg
    3Bs auto sales.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 364
  • alpha omege.jpg
    alpha omege.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 358
  • beto hernandezjpg.jpg
    beto hernandezjpg.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 360
  • tex mex motors.jpg
    tex mex motors.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 449

ChicagoGraphics

Here in Chicago, you have to goto the west side for them really ugly lQQking and misspelled signs. But it's not safe to go there day or night. LOL

3dsignco

Steve C.
I guess it's ok to submit more than one

attachment.php

Ok Steve I'm a little peeved. I am going to have to ask you to remove the following sign from your contest request as obviously the client did not read my disclamer attached to all emails.

"The designs and concepts represented on any and all layouts included or attached are the exclusive
copyrighted designs and property of The 3rd Dimension Sign Company. They may not be reproduced
in any form without written consent from The 3rd Dimension Sign Company."

Please remove this ASAP to avoid any legal action.

Sincerly,
Bill DeBekker
3rd Dimension Sign Company.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Steve C.

It would seem to me that scouting out the worst example of a sign ever discovered would not be as interesting as using a vanilla mediocre not so bad kind of sign as grist for this mill.

I think you are right about that, bob. Re-doing a just OK sign might be best
for this contest, but it's lot's more fun, to me, looking for REAL ugly signs.

We could submit some of each and see what wins out.