• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover Design Contest

Cadmn

you didn't find the one Arlo was ashamed of in aprevious post where he stated he used your fonts?

Ken

SO when a candidate is chosen, and we all go to work on a makeover, will a sign actually be made and presented to the establishment? Who will pay for it, install it? I think it could turn out as great PR for signers/designers if promoted well.
Fred, is this in the plans?
If we all chipped in , like 20 bucks, we could ..with some press/TV publicity, have a great event here. We could finance the winner to create and deliver/install a new sign for the hapless business that gets selected.
And follow up to see if it makes a difference.
Of course, if it is simply to create a good design , I will still participate..but I'm finally getting busy again...
What would be cool, is if we can find a major corporation that needs a makeover, put our heads together and present the idea thru the media.
IE:
"KXLY TV in Spokane has breaking news that the Microsoft logo design has been attacked by members of the Signs101 Community."
WE go to our Seattle correspondent, Wynn Doews, for a report.
"We always thought it was a little weak" said Fred Weiss, founder of the Signs101 website. "We challenged our members to create something much better than the existing logo. Something that expresses the real mission of the company" Blah, blah, blah...
Great fun...Ken

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The_sign-animated.gif

Nothing quite so ambitious Ken. What if the sign owner took insult, refused the sign and sued us for who knows what?

It's just a community learning exercise. Just have fun with it.

Ken

Yes Fred, always the liability thing.
I'll look for some crappy signs around here, but for the most part they're pretty good.
Thanks.
Ken

Jillbeans

I think if we gave someone a free design or sign it would totally devalue us.
Last winter I posted pix of my local icky signs on L'ville.
I was slow, so I re-worked them and actually got around to showing my ideas to some of the owners. In some cases I was met with outright hostility.
Some people are proud of their kid's artwork!
I am going to submit two or more pictures, at least one being a mediocre sign.
I just have to find time to snap them, and maybe borrow my daughter's car so they don't see me in my shop truck!
Love....Jill

Steve C.

you didn't find the one Arlo was ashamed of in aprevious post where he stated he used your fonts?

LOL, Didn't see that thread Cadmn. Hope he wasn't blaming my fonts... :biggrin:

All those signs are within two miles of my shop, closer to my place than Arlo's.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Must it be a sign ??

This could use some attention...... or less..........

Nothing really wrong, just needs some 'Oomph!!'

Attachments

• plumber-heavy copy.jpg
    plumber-heavy copy.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 405

Geary

In some cases I was met with outright hostility.
Some people are proud of their kid's artwork!

Oh Lordy is that ever true Jill !! My very first experience with LOSING a sign bid was when I "fixed" a guy's design that he had spent a very long time on in his own drawing room. I was 25 and the sting of that moment still is in my head thirty years later.
:Oops:

That's why I always try not to mess with anyone's design as a completely different look unless I'm specifically asked to or I can somehow schmooze my best salesmanship on them to do so. Otherwise, I just release the work to someone else out in the world.

~Gear

Jillbeans

OK, here are some local "gems" and even one that everyone gushes over but I think is mediocre.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• 2bit.JPG
    2bit.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 381
  • church.JPG
    church.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 376
  • int.JPG
    int.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 356
  • jims.JPG
    jims.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 319
  • western.JPG
    western.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 370

Geary

Ewwwwww......

Jill.....they GUSH because it's GOLD! Nobody really cares that the thing breaks almost every rule of layout mechanics. "...ewww.....it's just so shiny....so RICH looking.....ewww" :tongue:

Jillbeans

Yup, Gear, it's done by a woman who carves for a hobby.
The Two-Bit uses a font that I hate even more than Brush Script!
Love....Jill

Geary

AAGirl,

I've preached for YEARS to NEVER adjust copy 'til it's close to the edge of the layout...."it just won't breathe". This sign should be one that broke all the sacred rules choking itself to death. Yeah, this one is definitely going STRAIGHT to hell when it dies! LOL And look how well those colors work. Holy crap~!

~Gear

Marlene

I like the idea of the van Gino as it isn't horrid, but there's something really wrong about it. The Bad Girls is also good as it looks like some one tried to make it look good but just didn't have any clue how to. I wouldn't submit the winner's design to the owner of any of these beauties as we all know from working with customers that some of the worst looking crap is something that they are really proud of. Take a look at these two "logos" that I was forced to make signs from. They are about the worst looking things that I've seen in a long time. The thing is that both of these customers love their logos and would be really mad if some one came up with a re-design of either of them. We could do it here and no one's feeling would be hurt.

Attachments

• ROTUNDAS.jpg
    ROTUNDAS.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited: