• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finecut 9 Software CD request

RebelGraphics

Hello All, I'm in search of Finecut 9 so I can run it from the latest Illustrator version.
I have a "burned" copy of FC8 but it seems to be unusable when I try the upgrade server on Mimaki's website.
Can anyone point me to a vendor?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Hello All, I'm in search of Finecut 9 so I can run it from the latest Illustrator version.
I have a "burned" copy of FC8 but it seems to be unusable when I try the upgrade server on Mimaki's website.
Can anyone point me to a vendor?

typically, you contact the manufacturer or distributor and make a "replacement media" request. i have done this dozens of times over the years.

i have no experience with finecut, but this is normally the way it works

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
There is a very simple workaround I discovered when we accidentally broke the middle of our FC cd taking it out of the silly plastic container. Luckily I'd saved the contents long before, though.
But all you need to do is take a blank cd, and format it or burn it with the CD label being the word 'Finecut'
No contents or data is necessary- just the cd label.
The installation program will look for that 'original' cd, and once it finds it, then continue with the upgrade which is really a stand-alone program.

The problem you might have is finding the right version, if you are using specific older ones.Certain upgrades are for certain versions of Corel or of Windows. The wrong FC ones simply will not work.

RebelGraphics

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 1,097

RebelGraphics

There is a very simple workaround I discovered when we accidentally broke the middle of our FC cd taking it out of the silly plastic container. Luckily I'd saved the contents long before, though.
But all you need to do is take a blank cd, and format it or burn it with the CD label being the word 'Finecut'
No contents or data is necessary- just the cd label.
The installation program will look for that 'original' cd, and once it finds it, then continue with the upgrade which is really a stand-alone program.

The problem you might have is finding the right version, if you are using specific older ones.Certain upgrades are for certain versions of Corel or of Windows. The wrong FC ones simply will not work.
:awesome:

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Weird that they’d not make the fine cut plugin free because surely you’d have to have a rasterlink licence to use the files you’ve made?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The plug-in is free with the cutter or printer but they still protect it by making you have the CD to verify. Still doesn't make sense to me because you can't use it with anything but a Mimaki cutter!

WildWestDesigns

The plug-in is free with the cutter or printer but they still protect it by making you have the CD to verify. Still doesn't make sense to me because you can't use it with anything but a Mimaki cutter!

Typically, stuff like this, the "dongle" would be the physical device (in this instance the cutter). I could understand it if someone was trying to install it on a computer that didn't have the cutter attached and active for the program to see, maybe doing something that way.

Considering optical media appears not be as prevalent on off the shelf computers, I would suggest burning an ISO of the disc (if naming of the ISO is important, then make sure to do that as well). Reason being is that most OSs nowadays will recognize and mount ISOs as virtual drives (in essence it would be treated as if it was an actual CD/DVD and one won't have to worry about the damage that physical media would take and be able to store it for backup in a variety of places. One bit of warning, I would make sure to use disc burning software and not archiving software. Even though both will support the creation of ISOs, disc burning software will give you warnings about truncating file names (which you don't want to do in this instance), while archiving software more then likely will not and truncate without user input, which means the install stub won't work, because it won't be able to find those files with long names.

logotogogo

Recently was donated equipment from a sign shop and did not receive the CD for FineCut serial number, since it was a blank CD cover it was probably trashed upon cleaning out of the old shop. I wanted to use the FineCut but can't figure out how to get a serial number. Yes it is a Mimaki plotter! So. why couldn't I use the Plotter's serial number? Oh yeah that would be too easy! Anyone willing to help me out by sending me a serial number that works? It would be greatly appreciated

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
You can download FC from the Mimaki site - there are umpteen different versions depending on whether you have Win7, 8, 10, and which version of Corel Draw or Illy you may be using.
There's no one-version-suits-all.
But getting it to work is the test.
The win 10 version needs extra windows files and I think generates its own release code. I'm sure I tried it and eventually got it going - except Win 10 does not work with Corel X3 which I prefer for plotting.

I had it going with X5 I think, & win 10 on a Dell, till the hard drive failed, and I went back to a Win 7 dedicated PC for the plotter, and a KVM switch.
You need to name a blank CD appropriately - I forget the name needed - I thought I'd replied to this a few years ago-or someone else had.
You'll also need the Mimaki USB 2.0 drivers downloaded, I think, and some other file - but that's for the plotter rather than for Finecut.
I ran a Ghost type program to make a HD image of the setup, once running.
Our original FC cd is cracked in the centre, sadly, from being removed badly from the case.

I think I also started with FC 7 and Win7 ,and loaded that, then upgraded to 8 with the upgrade.
I had a feeling with Win 10, the FC 7 would not work, and the CD labeled Finecut would not work - I had to name it something else that resembled FCWIN08 or similar mildly obvious codename. Then it generated its own unlock code eventually - took 3 attempts.
Hence I am happy with the Win7 version.

Last edited:
I tried getting a replacement once for a lost CD from Mimaki, I had the invoice and stuff, they said nope, need to buy a new one