• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fitting a 8'x4' digital print onto a 8'x4' sheet

heyskull

This is a problem we have had for a long time.
When fitting a 8'x4' digital print onto a 8'x4' sheet it can be up to 1/8" either side to short!
This is even when laying the print on the back sheet onto the panel it fits perfect!
We are hindging from the middle and applying with 2 people.

Do I need to ammend my print size so it is larger (the size can alter and sometimes it's perfect).

This can be a real pain when you are creating a sign longer than 8' and both panels have to butt together perfectly.

Thanks
SC

visual800

I would suggest next time instead of printing a 4x8 is you print a 4 x9 or 10 and cayy that extra over on the new sheet and jump that spot where materials join OR strat laying the prints from the seam going out

We always order our prints a little larger than 4x8 cause there is not way they will match 100%

heyskull

What is strange is I have got our printer printing an exact 8'x4' and when you lay it up it fits perfect.
But when you fit it it's short!

SC

GVP

Could the fact that most substrates in the UK are 2440mm x 1220mm rather than 4'x8' have any bearing?

SignProPlus-Chip

The vinyl contracts as it's coming off the backer. Is your print 100% dry? This used to drive me crazy where I used to work because the production person had no idea how to utilize a bleed for things like this.

You could transfer mask the whole thing, that should eliminate some or most of the shrinkage. My preference is to size the print a half inch larger height and width. Lay it down them trim the excess...it will look superb every time.

Salmoneye

What is your application method for mounting? We use a Big Squeegee and don't have that problem with contraction. We also always print with a bleed.

TheSnowman

I always try to print a little wider on the height. I'm normally laying down width direction. It can skew in either direction top to bottom up to 1/8" sometimes...but the width, It's always longer, not shorter when I'm using the big squeegee.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do the bleed method also. However, you have to be careful when tiling if you're making like a 8' x 32' or something.

yep, same here, we always put a 1/4 or 1/2 inch bleed, then trim around the edges, at least that way you have covered yourself just incase.

the shrinking....maybe temp/humidity in the area you are applying? maybe its getting slightly pulled or stretched?

heyskull

My question then is how do you get the middle 8'x4' correctly positioned/sized in a 24'x4' sign?
Because their is no way of fitting it as one complete print.

SC

J Hill Designs

apply first print. trim to edge. align second print, apply from edge that matches first board. trim to edge. align third print, apply from edge that matches 2nd board. trim to edge. install

2nd and third panel should have increasingly larger horizontal bleed to allow for alignment.

Jackpine

"size the print a half inch larger height and width. Lay it down them trim the excess.."as per SignProPlus-Chip....

J

john1

You should ALWAYS print a bleed area meaning if it's 4x8' print it at LEAST 4.1'x8.1'

boxerbay

we add bleed but we have also found that some .25 PVC sheets are about 1/4 wider than 48. measure your substrate before you start.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Not exactly sure how your prints are shrinking... we always include 1/2"-1" bleed on any project that will bleed off the surface area.

I've never seen vinyl shrink as it's applied; stretching - now that's another story.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same as most .25 to .5 bleed on 4x8 sheets and always measure the sheet first as often some are cut slightly larger. I've seen PVC sheets a full half inch oversize...