• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexi cloud upgrade -- yes or no??

1robbie

Need an honest opinion. I work in Flexi 10.4 all day, every day. Getting a new computer and wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to Flexi Cloud??

Let me know your thoughts.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have found that Flexi cloud has fixed a lot of the bugs in prior versions. It handles PDFs much better and it has better reporting on ink usage and square footage.

Techman

avoid all clouds..

If one must have it buy it outright.. Then live in peace for as long as you can run it.
I still run old XP stuff just fine. In fact I will be running a job tonight using software purchased about 12 years ago.

rjssigns

avoid all clouds..

If one must have it buy it outright.. Then live in peace for as long as you can run it.
I still run old XP stuff just fine. In fact I will be running a job tonight using software purchased about 12 years ago.

You da man!!!!

Sounds just like me. Both RIP servers are XP and we still have Corel 3! Wife cranks out fantastic work using CS2.:omg:

Don't ever get me started on this whole cloud deal or the "necessity" of having to have the latest piece of software.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You da man!!!!

Sounds just like me. Both RIP servers are XP and we still have Corel 3! Wife cranks out fantastic work using CS2.:omg:

Don't ever get me started on this whole cloud deal or the "necessity" of having to have the latest piece of software.

I agree, however, a lot of people are confused about the whole Flexi Cloud name. If you buy it out right, it works just like the other versions but has optional cloud features. You do not have to be connect to the internet to use it once it has been registered and you do not have to use the cloud features. This is why Flexi has re-branded it as Flexi 11 with cloud to clean up some of the misconceptions.

I agree with you on the subscriptions though. It's a great way to start if you are low on cash but if you can afford it, get the full license and use it as long as you can.

rjssigns

I agree, however, a lot of people are confused about the whole Flexi Cloud name. If you buy it out right, it works just like the other versions but has optional cloud features. You do not have to be connect to the internet to use it once it has been registered and you do not have to use the cloud features. This is why Flexi has re-branded it as Flexi 11 with cloud to clean up some of the misconceptions.

I agree with you on the subscriptions though. It's a great way to start if you are low on cash but if you can afford it, get the full license and use it as long as you can.

Thank you for the clarification. Once I hear "cloud" anything I cringe since it usually entails a monthly fee. It is nice to know Flexi gives you the option. Kudos to them.

mrugen

Free Upgrades for life

http://thegraphicsexperts.com/is-your-sign-or-printbusiness-protected-from-a-disaster/

One of the advantages of the subscription is free upgrades for life. Additionally, if you need a couple of copies of say Flexi Designer for a month or so, you can subscribe and stop any time. Furthermore, if you wish to do so, you can save your files via the cloud service offered they are safe from many disasters. In my opinion, its worth it for saving the money for upgrades to use on other stuff like inks and supplies.

Techman

In my opinion. It is better to use old software until the day it no longer performs needed functions. I still use several old XP packages that are long ago paid for that makes the overall cost lower and lower after each year.
IE:
I still use photoshop 6 in fact. It does every thing I ever needed. And it has a couple features such as print contact sheets that is perfect for making catalogs of my graphics.

Too many software packages create bloatware by adding on too many un-needed features in the upgrade chase.

mrugen

Interesting....

Interesting viewpoint. Sort of like driving a car till it no longer performs. You save lots of money not owning a new one and stay out of debt. Then one day a customer calls and says if you can come to his office he has a big job for you. You go out to the car and it wont start. Now what? You tell the customer your problem and he decides to give the job to a more modern updated shop near by, because he cant wait on you.

Same with software. Of course it depends on your market and how many other shops there are, but customers of shops don't have much loyalty do they? While I am not saying you cant get by without staying up to date, "times, they are a changing". More and more people are looking for service NOW and cant wait for shop issues like "I cannot import that format" or "I just bought a new computer and my software isn't working right now".

I would propose two things:

1) If your current situation is comfortable and your software is working, keep making money as long as you can, but
2) If you want to grow your business with new printers, and computers which will come with the latest Windows etc. then keep up to date with your software.

Seems like $50 a month is worth it to keep Flexi up to date forever. Wondering if there is some sort of tax credit for subscribing? hmmmmm Ill look into it.

Techman

You make some good points mark,
Your analogy is a good point for some. Especially those who are not prepared for the big changes occurring right now in our work.

On the other hand.. Our line of work is under great flux.

The fact that lowball printer shops are killing the print arm of this industry just as low cost cutters and their corresponding cheap low cost driver software killed the vinyl arm.. Totally inexperienced wrappers are invading the market place with auction cheap printers and their "do the work" for anything attitudes. I just obtained a printer at auction that came with a name brand software including the dongle for a very low cost. And then,, Witness the recent thread where the poster had no idea what to charge for his work.

The future of high cost printer driver software for the average small shop is coming to an end. The cost of $50 a month for some higher end shops and is a good deal. For the other low volume shops it will be an aversion. Will an open source printer RIP software appear soon? There are some rumors that yes that may happen. Remember when creating a PDF was very expensive? Now it can be done for FREE.

People are outsourcing their print needs. Local printers are just about giving away their work just to keep the printer running at any cost. One local guy ran his printer just to keep his maintenance costs covered rather than let the maint cycles throw away the cleaning ink. I could go over there with a graphic, load up what I wanted and print solvent for a rate much less than I could own the machine myself.

3D software and printers. The Maker/Geek groups are perfecting home built 3D printers. The printers are coming on line operating with accuracy rivaling professional machines. It will not be long before this will replace certain elements of what we do. Need some acrylic letters in any color? Print them overnight.

Laser machines are coming home built. Again the geeks are developing lasers one can build for just a few thousand along with driver software. Need a laser engraved object? Operate a home built machine and have it in a few hours.

CNC routers and software. The entry cost of entry to this this has collapsed to to less than 10 grand. Basic software is down to around 800 bux and the machine is down around 6 grand.

I built a home machine with drivers for less that 6 grand. Yes this was with some astute shopping but non the less it is here operating. But it can do 95% of any work that comes into the shop. The most interesting aspect is that a very good 3D software is FREE open source. There is no more need to spend 8 grand for a cnc package.

I am teaching a cnc course for a local cnc machine distributor that sells an entry machine for 5 grand with art cam express.

So the question is.. Operate in the cloud or operate in the office. For most, I think owning software outright for the long term is safer (fewer consequences) and will be very economical soon enough.

The only arm that seem to be chasing the subscription model is the printing RIP's.

Other emerging arms are going full open source, or a outright low cost starter package.

mrugen

The future of the sign business

Good points Techman.

While I agree in part with your observation about open source software and "cheap" machines, but that day is still several years future in my opinion. Yes, there are those who give away their work, always have been, but that does not mean the true professional need do so. Those giving work away will find that they don't make much of a living and many fade into the sunset.

So, until then how do the rest of we professionals survive. By being smart, getting the tools we need to show off our professionalism and not backing down. We must show the public the difference between a professional shop and fly by night one. We must educate them to the difference between, for example, a wrap that is done by a professional and one done by an amateur.

Ask yourself, would you hire a friend to fix a pipe leak or a bonded, licensed plumber? Well, I suppose it depends on the leak! But why do plumbers and electricians have licenses and not sign writers? Because it never was an issue, demanded by the public. Well, perhaps it's time the professionals in our business united and set standards, set up "academies" for sign making and demanded levels of minimum education resulting in categories of certified sign writers such as apprentice, craftsman and Master, with licenses to practice. It's the only way we will limit the "cheapo" shop. Recently, this has been done with the wrap business, but the consumer doesn't yet know it's value. We've only got one side done.

I don't like much government intervention in business, but perhaps if local law demanded certification, bonding or licenses to practice the fly by nights would be minimized.

Education has been my passion for 25 years in this business. I am working even now to make the above happen to protect our business. But I need everyone's help.

We must all decide together that this is a way to separate the professional from the amateur.

This is just a long winded way of saying I recommend professional software and quality hardware, the tools of a professional.

OldPaint

and this is getting to sound like a LOBBIST doing the job of those who pay him.))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
bottom line..........IS MONEY............getting people to give it to you...........AT EITHER END.
been at this since before SOFTWARE, PLOTTERS & PRINTERS etc. made more PROFIT FOR ME......... that way.
didnt need to buy computer, plotter, vinyl, transfer tape. didnt need to but SOFTWARE to do the job.
NOW WHEN THE TIME CAME.............. to go that direction...........MONEY again plays the most important role. you either got it, and spend or dont have it and make the best buys you can with what money you have. this is 80% of the people who are in this business OVER 20 YEARS DID.
now its flat out MONEY TO GET INTO THIS LINE OF WORK.
being one of these(OVER 20 YEAR STARTS)...........i researched my options as to how to get the most MONEY with the least outlay. i learned to operate/repair computers...........BUILD MY OWN....... stuff to cut vinyl with........was offered a goober 4b........for way to much money, for what it was, with limited fonts @ $100 each........and then beholding to that company.......as they took more of my money for what they called a "professional product." I........ doing my due diligence as to whats was available......found ROLANDS.......and discovered on my own.......that a program called COREL DRAW..version 3............would do what the gerber program/plotter BETTER, WITH ALL THE FONTS windows had.........for way less MONEY OUTLAY. only thing i didnt have...... was the lable..."professional grade equipment"! but i still made VINYL SIGNS, as good if not better then gerbers did)))))) this was 1992. since then for 22 years.......i have run a business, made a living.........cutting every piece of vinyl from versions of COREL DRAW 4, 7 ,10, and now X3.......OWNING THE PRODUCT installing it on 2-3 computers i own......and never missing having a PROFESSIONAL GRADE SIGN PROGRAM)))))))))))))))))))
when i bought my 1st ROLAND... i also got a sign specific program LETTER ART 5.0, kept it up till version 8.0. used it very little as COREL WAS EASIER, FASTER.... played with most of the others at one time or another so i do know how they perform and operate.
as for the CLOUD ANYTHING.....................its a game of getting MORE MONEY and keeping THE BUYER on the HOOK..........to spend MORE MONEY)))))

mrugen

Many paths to money and success

From what I could make out, OldPaint, you have travelled what sounds like many paths and come to the conclusion that the bottom line is money, either getting it or giving it. That's cool. I can see your point.

However, I think there are many other paths in this regard. Not everyone may be as talented as you. To use my earlier analogy, there are talented plumbers and not so talented ones. Some work for themselves and some for larger companies and both can be good or bad. Some will own their own tools and some not. Each one, though, has to decide how to get customers and keep them happy if they want to stay in business.

I'm not suggesting that a Flexi subscription is for everyone. All I am saying is that, just like your choice of Corel etc., it is in fact another choice that is for some to get to the same place. I would venture to say many would be as happy with this choice as you have been with yours. My bottom line is that much has to do with learning how to use whatever choice you make and then trying to separate yourself from the competition.

By the way I don't get paid to contribute my opinions, I simply believe in them. I appreciate you sharing yours as a good balance to help others make the decision about software.

OldPaint

making a reference to this product(CLOUD ANYTHING) as a TOOL..... is what it is.
AS ANY CRAFTSMAN knows......his tools ...............provide him with a WAY to an END.......that is something to make MONEY WITH or to complete a task/job in the least amount of time and expense so as to make the maximum profit for that endeavor.
that is why their are TOOL MANUFACTURE/CREATORS who sell their wares for a multitude of different prices))))))
AS MOST CRAFTSMEN........ do they OWN THEIR TOOLS....... when they BUY THEM, they spend as much as they can afford for that tool that will have the LONGEVITY to provide it usability over many years to make the CRAFTSMANS PROFIT over and over.
sorta like going to HARBOR FREIGHT and buying tools........ or buying tools from METABO, HILTI, MILWAUKEE, DEWALT, SNAP ON, CORNWELL. all the tools will do the job.........but then you got to replace the cheap one more often. i understand that. but MOST SOFTWARE.....like cutting vinyl............an(corel) inexpensive one will do the same job as a so called professional grade does........AND DONT NEED to be upgraded......(for more money outlay)to do the same job..........and having the program, WHICH YOU PAID FOR......FULL USE OF IT, at your whim or need............gives the owner a tangible product......just cant wrap my head around all my money i spent on something is out their..........in the "cloud" doing what clouds do............hahahahahahahaahaha

mrugen

Flexi cloud is a tool worth having

Point well made, OldPaint. Flexi cloud, COREL, Adobe are all tools. COREL, Adobe etc, were originally made for design only, and even today you need to add plugins and other stuff to get them to run a cutter or wide format printer. Flexi, SignLAB were made for OUR business. They have everything included, no hunting and piecing together. By they way, your point about the cloud is why the folks at SA International, makers of Flexi offer the product as a subscription OR desktop version. You can have it either way!

How much time did it take to "find" and piece together all those parts you now use? Who do you go to for help? (I know signs101.com! LOL!) Anyway, It's still a choice; put parts and pieces together or get them all in one and working! Nothing like one tool that can do multiple jobs!

Great discussion! Thanks.

Z SIGNS

Interesting thread

I am always looking for the best ways to get things done in our shop.

mrugen will you please elaborate as to why going to the flexi cloud is better then using something like corel or ai.

I am always looking to improve.What's the advantage with the cloud?

I see by searching the forum many users having problems with flexi but I don't see any problems with corel or ai.

Can you show examples of corel vs flexi ? and how flexi is worth it

Please help

mrugen

Flexi or COREL/ADOBE etc.

I am always looking for the best ways to get things done in our shop.

mrugen will you please elaborate as to why going to the flexi cloud is better then using something like corel or ai.

I am always looking to improve.What's the advantage with the cloud?

I see by searching the forum many users having problems with flexi but I don't see any problems with corel or ai.

Can you show examples of corel vs flexi ? and how flexi is worth it

Please help

WOW! Can of worms for this forum, So, I challenge all readers, give your side and can we keep it civil for a change? How about these guidelines

1. Discuss Features
  2. Discuss Costs
  3. Discuss Support
  4. Discuss Issues

Be honest, civil and factual, not emotional. Would welcome comments while I compile mine.

Z SIGNS

WOW! Can of worms for this forum, So, I challenge all readers, give your side and can we keep it civil for a change? How about these guidelines

1. Discuss Features

1. Discuss Costs
  2. Discuss Support
  3. Discuss Issues

Be honest, civil and factual, not emotional. Would welcome comments while I compile mine.

1. I find flexi to have less features(please elaborate on the features of flexi)
2 I find corel and ai to be no where near the cost of flexi
3 there are no support issues with corel (anybody ever need corel or ai support ?)
4 there are no issues with the above(anybody ever had issues with corel or ai)