• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Killed my Omega

sgns4u

We just upgraded our Flexi Print & Cut 8 to 10. We didn't know to remove the Omega dongle. Our Composer is Gone! We have tried to reinstall but when prompted to insert the dongle, it won't recongize it. I am so angry with Flexi for not warning us. To upgrade omega is another $600.00. We were using Omega 2.0. I know it's old but it was working just fine.
Any Suggestions??
Sherry

iSign

do you have another CPU?

I would try installing it on another machine, just to see if it recognizes the dongle there, even if you don't (or can't) use that machine for your omega outputs... it's a fairly quick test.

I wouldn't waste too much energy being angry just yet, and certainly not at Flexi (SAi) as that makes little sense.

For an installation attempt to be confounded by a dongle not being recognized is about one of the most common scenarios I ever read about when people have trouble with sign software & dongles... but I've never once heard of one dongle being damaged by the addition of other software on the machine... so I would think the upgrade price has nothing whatsoever to do with your challenge here...

are they both USB dongles?

sgns4u

I wouldn't waste too much energy being angry just yet, and certainly not at Flexi (SAi) as that makes little sense.

It makes sense to me. I was told by Flexi (SAI) tech support that they were aware of the problem. Of course I was told this after the fact... Their advice was to contact Omega. I did and since the version was a 2.0 they wouldn't even talk to me about the problem, said I needed to upgrade, $600.00, to get some help!

All 3 of our computers have some sign making software with a dongle on them. The only other option I have is my personal lap top. I will install on there if I have to but I want to try all other avenues first.

Yes both are USB dongles.

iSign

I was told by Flexi (SAI) tech support that they were aware of the problem.

...well, in that case, what IS the problem? If they are aware of it, and they are techs... WTF is the explanation? does the software ping out to ports & somehow modify the communications programming in the Omega dongle? Did they say it fries them beyond repair?

What happened to Omega's $250 fee for replacement dongles? isn't there some 7 year law for supporting hardware? I know they aren't obligated to "sell" old software after they have upgrades, but to support hardware I think there may be some obligation on their part, and you don't need the software, just the hardware...

sgns4u

hhhhmmmm, I didn't know anything about $250 for a replacment dongle. That's better than $600.00. You are correct I don't need the software.

The tech at SAI said I needed new drivers for the Omega dongle. So he said to contact Omega. The lady I talked to said she absolutely could not help me in any way since "we no longer support Omega 2.0"

Marlene

seems like if Flexi was aware of the problem and failed to include the info in the upgrade of their software, they would need to replace what their stuff destroyed. Gerber wouldn't be liable for it. seems like 2.0 is really old software so I'm not suprised that they don't support it any more.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Flexi doesn't play well with others. Our router operator downloaded a trial version of Flexi a few years ago and it did the same thing to the Omega 2.1 on his computer, fortunately it was long enough ago that Gerber was still supporting the software. It didn't hurt the dongle Gerber said Flexi basically hijacks the driver used for the dongle. I uninstalled the Flexi and reinstalled the driver (Rainbow?) for the Gerber dongle and everything was fine. You just can't run both programs on the same computer. And yes, it looks like Flexi would have used a different driver if they knew it was going to cause a problem, almost like it was done on, well, on purpose??? Hopefully Tony will show up on here pretty soon and have a better answer, he's great.:clapping:

Tony Teveris

As Dave has said, since your running an older Omega you will have to uninstall the Rainbow security driver and install the one on the Gerber CD. Not sure what Flexi is using these days for the Rainbow (now SafeNet) version of the driver but Gerber's Omega 3 and 4 are using version 7 something. If you upgrade to Omega 4 everyone may then "play" nice together. I'm on vacation so I can't check this out.

smdgrfx

What Tony said works. I had to do this at one point. Now, when ever I have to re-install. I install Flexi first and then Omega. I just did it last week. Worked perfectly.

sgns4u

UPDATE:
I really thought we were just screwed. The sales rep that sold me the Flexi upgrade wasn't having any luck yesterday getting anyone from Flexi or Omega to offer a solution. Well I don't know what really happened overnight but "big changes" this morning. She must have lit a fire under someone's butt.

By Friday I should have my Omega back up and running. Between SAI and Omega and my sales rep they promise me there will be a solution by weeks end.

I think what is going to happen is I will run a soft key with Flexi and USB hard key with Omega.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice!!:U Rock:

tom's signs

driver

Download the new driver for flex from signwarehouse and uninstalled the old driver and install the new one. It happen to me I have vinyl express and omega. This solved my problem both programs worked than.