• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Formal howdy from indianapolis

RobbyMac

Probably a bit late on this, but an official and formal hello from myself, to you all.

Currently working in Indianapolis for an outfit I've been with (off and on) for some time. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the ocmpany or not. We specialize in wraps and vehicle graphics for Motorsports and commercial industries. We also do signs, banners, etc..
Mostly vinyl work.
Vutek 2360 Dinosaur for fleet and transporter wraps, large volume yard signs, banners, etc.
Mimaki jv-3 for most everything else.
Gerber edge for specialty/smaller runs when the other two don't fit.
HP l25500 - new and still testing. will gradually phase out the old vutek as this printer becomes more prominent.

I started in the sign business in Brooklyn, NY in 1989 while attending art college.
Worked at a shop in Buffalo, NY between then and 1993 when I relocated to Indianapolis.
1999-2008 I went out on my own doing freelance design work (no actual vinyl production). Mostly race and commercial graphics.
2008 to current, I came back to work in the industry.

It's been interesting to see the industry grow from the old gerber keyboard plotters, to gerber edge printing, to wide format printing and what we see today. The materials and technology has grown tremendously.

As an artist in school, I was never very good at graphic design (I preferred technical illustration or painting). But working in the sign industry taught me all the principles of good graphic design, and in the best classroom ever under some of the tightest deadlines. My job is more problem solving than it is drawing it seems. And I like that every job is unique, and challenging. Vehicles are a terribly tantalizing canvas to work with.

I hope to be of help to members here, as well as to learn from others.

Mikeifg

Hello from Fort Wayne, I might have worked there years ago. Wouldn't be Freelance Lettering?

Cool place to work for.

Mike

RobbyMac

That would be it. Lance sold the outfit to Andy.
When did you work here? Been here from 93-99, and 2008-current.

Mikeifg

Holly cow man. Did lance move back to New Zealand? I liked Andy he was pretty cool. It was a fun place to work for. I learned alot and eventually started my own shop here at the Fort after traveling all over the country as a designer and installer.

Mikeifg

I'm thinking it was 95-96 maybe? Worked in production and Installation. I left after they hired some girl from TKO to run production so it was about that time I believe some guy named Kelly hired in as an Installer.