• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun hand made sign

Stacey K

I like making signs
Some of you may know on the side I make hand painted wood signs. I wanted to share a pic of one I finished up yesterday as I think it turned out pretty good. I made 2 and they are temporary signs just for the weekend, sized at 5'x36" and 24"x36". I know some of you make hand painted signs so thought this might be of interest. I used Modge Podge on it, something I've never used before. This request came from a large client for a wedding this coming weekend so don't share the photos! LOL The graphic designer sent me a PDF of the artwork. I printed the flowers tile style on my printer and used modge podge to apply to the sign. I cut a stencil using stencil mask and painted the wording. I used new pine boards, roughed them up and then sanded and sealed everything real good after completion. I add black carpet tacks to look like old nails. These were fun signs to make and gave me great satisfaction, not an every day occurrence! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 58680098408__5C14915F-B934-4BD4-A4C2-374D28E7D185.JPG
    58680098408__5C14915F-B934-4BD4-A4C2-374D28E7D185.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 533
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    788.5 KB · Views: 542

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very nicely executed.

It's been decades, but I've used decoupage in the past, however not modge podge. Do they work the same ??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Modge Podge....I haven't heard that since the 70s. My mom was the arts & crafts teacher at our school and she'd buy that stuff by the gallon.

JB

Stacey K

I like making signs
Very nicely executed.

It's been decades, but I've used decoupage in the past, however not modge podge. Do they work the same ??
Thanks Gino, the process is different. For the Modge Podge you reverse your image when you print it. Apply the modge podge to the image then lay it image side down on the substrate. Let the modge podge dry completely, then spray the paper with water and gently remove the paper. The image stays on the substrate while the paper is removed. It's rather messy and tedious but gives nice results. I was quite surprised the colors were as vibrant on the wood as they were when printed.

d fleming

Very nice. My daughter used modge podge when my father passed to make the family wood coasters with his pic on them from scraps in his shop. Turned out nice.

Tfloraditch

Your aging process on the wood is very effective. If those were new boards I wouldn't be able to tell from the photo. I would have guessed you found some old boards to work with. Nice job! I like the contrast created by the stencil painting too. The letters don't look hand painted, but I think that's ok. It draws attention to the text which helps to balance the images. One suggestion. I would replaced the A with a hyphen to make it BEE-utiful. I think it would read better.

Net time, I bet you could hand paint those flowers with some thin washes and a good brush. Get a few nice red sable Windsor Newton brushes and practice. Flowers are super easy and you have the skill to do it. Good luck!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Your aging process on the wood is very effective. If those were new boards I wouldn't be able to tell from the photo. I would have guessed you found some old boards to work with. Nice job! I like the contrast created by the stencil painting too. The letters don't look hand painted, but I think that's ok. It draws attention to the text which helps to balance the images. One suggestion. I would replaced the A with a hyphen to make it BEE-utiful. I think it would read better.

Net time, I bet you could hand paint those flowers with some thin washes and a good brush. Get a few nice red sable Windsor Newton brushes and practice. Flowers are super easy and you have the skill to do it. Good luck!
Thank you! The boards are new, aged to look old. The graphic designer sent the artwork so I had to use what he sent but good point on the wording. I had thought about trying to hand paint as you suggest but I only had a week and a full schedule so I opted for not attempting. Definitely something I want to try, thank you for the tips!