• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun Project.

Joe Diaz

A while back I think I posted some brochures I designed for our town. One of the brochures had a map that was used for a walking tour for the murals we did last summer.

Well, our main street organization (P.R.O.U.D.) stopped in and needed to use the map we designed for a national main street completion. Pontiac has made the final 10 (or 8) in the entire country.

A map of the downtown is a requirement for the finals. The problem is, I based the design off of a photo that we borrowed from city hall, that was taken in like the 60s or something. It was an areal shot but of only the downtown square not the whole downtown commercial district, which is what they needed.

So a few weeks ago I got to go for a plane ride just to take reference photos in order to expand the map.

photo_from_plane.jpg

pontiac_map.jpg

There is no way we were going to get the exact same angle as the first photo, and I wasn't going to start over, so most of the buildings to the left were all done using only perspective lines and the new photos as references.

Sure we could have just made a top down map, but I'm hoping the extra detail will help wow the judges.

Keep you fingers crossed for Pontiac. :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very very nice and great looking rendition of the original.

Actually speaking of the original.... I thought I saw you waving in that picture, but that's impossible if you were in the airplane.......

joes house.jpg

cptcorn

adad
Sweet!

I'd be interested in seeing some images of it before it hit the final stages... As always good work Joe!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That looks nicey nicey... maps can be a fun and a pain (if the client is a committee), once I worked on maps similar in style to that for a couple of months, the charm wore off real fast, especially during the massive amounts of revisions.

MITCHATEXOTIC

nOT BEING A THREAD PIRATE

That looks nicey nicey... maps can be a fun and a pain (if the client is a committee), once I worked on maps similar in style to that for a couple of months, the charm wore off real fast, especially during the massive amounts of revisions.
First...awesome work it shows great skills and patience.That being said back to the quote.Anything for a committee is a pain especially if it is made up of non-paid volunteers.

ONLINE SIGN GUY

We are also a Main Street Community here in Mount Vernon Iowa, They have suggested something like this for ourselves, this was very insperational, wonderful work!

We have done many projects for the Main Street Group, and are working on a new Welcome To Mount Vernon sign that will include artwork fro the organization, Good Luck to you and your wonderful town!