• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun with Vectorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shan

I have always had excellent service from copyartwork.com. Their prices are brilliant and I dunno how they do it so cheaply!

royster13

Most of these cheap art services hire kids in India, Sri Lanka, etc. for less than a couple dollars an hour....

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The image in the original post is not something I would even call a "logo." It's graphics wrapped around a painted illustration. That sort of thing does not lend itself to being reproduced in small sizes, like in a little 1 column black and white newspaper ad.

I agree with the comments of others that not everything has to be vector-based. Nevertheless such artwork must be created in a sufficiently high level of native resolution to be useful in a variety of purposes. This sort of thing could be a mix of raster and vector (vectors for the type and raster for the illustration).

Still, such artwork limits the customer in some ways. You can't cut it out of single color of vinyl like you can with most true logos.

With logo design less is definitely more. When I design logos I always make the finished "master" version 100% vector-based. I also try to make it where it can be produced with a single color. Ultimately that can save the customer a lot of money on print costs and make the finished graphic far more versatile. It's very easy to take a vector-based image into Photoshop and cheese it up with all the bevels, drop shadows, lens flares and other junk. It's stupid to design a logo in Photoshop and then try to take it into the vector realm afterward. Sadly, so many amateur graphic designers passing themselves off as professionals keep doing it anyway.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Communication is key. Some people here think that this looks fine for $35 while others say it should have been a $200+ job if they wanted it to look good. That is the big problem. If you shop on price you never know what you will get. Had I wanted/taken the job and quoted $200 the customer obviously would have turned me down saying someone will do it for $35

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Communication is key. Some people here think that this looks fine for $35 while others say it should have been a $200+ job if they wanted it to look good. That is the big problem. If you shop on price you never know what you will get. Had I wanted/taken the job and quoted $200 the customer obviously would have turned me down saying someone will do it for $35

That is the pickle ... for $35 it looks good ... obviously not the quality I would want to give my customer .. but in a hurry, that would work for temporary signage if the customer wanted to wait for good high quality reproduction.

Personally I wouldn't have even shopped around for it for anything less than $150 ... too many people would do the alien sheep thing for less than that ... also it doesn't take much to do 4 or 6 decent flesh layers on J.C.'s flesh tone ... one little splotch on the forehead for a highlight would make me ask for my money back. Also, I would have asked the customer how steadfast to the original art they were before beginning ... it always suprizes me how many people ask you for artwork that can only be achieved with a photoshoot but don't want to pay for it because you have photoshop ... let alone doesn't want to pay for the art fee to make that non-photoshoot image look even close to one. For about $50 you could have gotten someone off of Modelmayhem.com in your area to dress up like J.C. holding a sheep, snap off a few pictures for skin tone reference if no actual vector reference and you're 3/4 of the way there.

MikePro

WWJV?
(whytheheckyou want jesus vectorized?!?)
not EVERYTHING has to be vectorized...
just run it through a couple of filters/effects in photoshop, add the text in illustrator, and print it!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
35 dollars at 6-10 hours? i hope your still making money, doc....

Huh? I did not quote it or have the opportunity to do so. As I mentioned in the my first post, I would never have taken the job. If they want to take on that kind of work for $35 they are welcome to do so. As you can see it did nothing but make the other company look bad.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
WWJV?
(whytheheckyou want jesus vectorized?!?)
not EVERYTHING has to be vectorized...
just run it through a couple of filters/effects in photoshop, add the text in illustrator, and print it!

In college I ended up playing a lot with vector, with the use of opacity, you can almost get an etherial look with enough objects. I spent an entire semester doing nothing but portraits using overlapping 50% opacity objects ... lovely when printed as 4'x4' prints.

not everything NEEDS to be vectorized ... but it does have good results if used properly.

Colin

So this Jesus guy can walk on water, heal the sick, make the blind see, rise from the dead, etc, but can't vectorize an image of himself?

(couldn't resist)

natedawg9640

I think it looks great for the price of $35. for $35, I wouldn't deliver anything better.agreed that if it were me, i woulda ran the center through alien skin blowup or something like that, reset the ring and text in vector and printed the thing.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
The thing that irked me the most was the fact that they advertised a high quality vector of an image for the cost of $35.00. They even posted examples; the level of detail that was in this vs. the examples they provided was very different. False advertising? Yes... but we should have known better. By the way, we ended up getting our money back; the owner of the business we contacted was disappointed in the image as well, and agreed with me on the points I made.

Our GA offered to work on it; we lucked out and recently found one that actually enjoys working in AI in his spare time. We give him a hard time, hence the jokes about us being slavedrivers/sending him to the dungeon/forcing him to work on his holiday weekend, ect. I also took him to AC for the USSC expo and tried to get him to drink copious amounts of beer with me, unsuccessfully... it all balances out.

Colin

I feel sorry for the person who wasted all of their time on this for $35, and then you had the audacity to demand your money back! You clearly wanted this task (which takes considerable time) done for a fee that nobody could earn a living at, or worse, you want it done for FREE. Next time, let people know what your expectations are so we can all give you a wide berth.

Last edited:

dj_elite

They offered a service for their said price. I understand you cannot expect much. But if that is the price they are charging and advertise high quality, well then its their own fault. He deserved his money back IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.