• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FYI on a nice site.

Marlene

It was apparent that the link was removed because you felt someone was using a "loophole" to promote themselves. How many other links are there in the thousands upon thousands of posts on this site to websites that someone feels is beneficial? But because they weren't former Merchant Members they aren't deleted?

not bashing you either Fred but we do post a lot of links around here, is that a no no? I know I've posted links for places like Grimco and Gemini. I do totally get the self promotion thing being a no no. I know that people have also suggested 4edgetalk when people are looking for Edge info. (I found signs101 on 4edgetalk when some one there posted a link).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To me.... it stands as it stands.

I don't think anyone was trying to maliciously hurt Fred, but Fred does have something here and as much as he tries to stay fair and open minded... there are always going to be those little grey areas that you need to address.

He addressed it and it seems like those of you sticking together are more or less trying to find a loophole in Fred's thinking or better yet... integrity.

He has nothing to defend. He has single~handedly done more for the good of this industry, not only in this website, but his business, business model, contributions and inventions to the sign industry.... plus all of his knowledge donated here at 101.

You guys wanna come in here and bash him for defending that which is his ?? Give me a frickin' break and I ain't blowing no smoke up his ass. In my opinion, you can't find a more fair or generous person than Fred and I've never met the man face to face, but I sure do like what I hear and read from him.

Sure, no one here is doubting Fred's intentions.... now, but to attack a person for what is his and what he gives... is far from what some of you are actually saying.

Others here have tried to go off and do it on their own... only to fall flat on their faces. I don't believe Fred is a hindrance to whatever any of you want to do on your own, but to bring that stuff here.... is just not kosher. Perhaps, the OP didn't think so at the time, but rather than defending himself and putting up a stink.... he apologized and made his intentions known. So why not let this whole thing go to rest and stop sounding ridiculous ??

:toasting:

Marlene

He addressed it and it seems like those of you sticking together are more or less trying to find a loophole in Fred's thinking or better yet... integrity.

He has nothing to defend. He has single~handedly done more for the good of this industry, not only in this website, but his business, business model, contributions and inventions to the sign industry.... plus all of his knowledge donated here at 101.

You guys wanna come in here and bash him for defending that which is his ?? Give me a frickin' break and I ain't blowing no smoke up his ass. In my opinion, you can't find a more fair or generous person than Fred and I've never met the man face to face, but I sure do like what I hear and read from him.

so not my intent. just checking in while this is fresh in our minds if posting links is OK with him or do we cross the line into can't do that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Rules.... rules.... rules.......

You do what you've been doing and for the most part... everyone knows right from wrong. How often do you see Fred intervene in any of this sort of stuff ?? He knows it will go away and nothing has changed in the format.... he's already said that and it has been the norm here all along.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
gino,

it seems obvious that this struck a cord with fred and he acted a little out of character. in no way is anyone trying to drag fred down from his lofty position atop the sign industries leaders in innovation....

this is a message board, we comment on things that are typed.... what happened here seemed odd to say the least....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ddarlak....

Do you realize how seldom this happens, but when it does...... it's like sharks circling around the blood.......

I'm most positive Jack didn't mean anything hurtful and wanted to help others out and he has. Fred posted his thoughts and others either misunderstood or tried to take bites out of him. Doesn't matter what you or any of the others did to help fuel this or stop it..... but its quite clear who the same sharks are that always show up for these feeding frenzies.

By my posting back and forth with you.... I'm keeping this thing alive, but like I said... it will soon fizzle out.

It's kinda like whenever the topic of religion or not comes up... you KNOW ahead of time who is going to be posting.......

It's kinda like whenever the topic of liberals or conservatives of who are better or worse comes up... you KNOW ahead of time who is going to be posting.......

Some things never change.... like the stripes on a tiger we all talked about some years ago.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As I posted in Post #18:

There is a very real line between supplying Phillip's site as a reference when a member inquires where to hire a designer (okay by us) and simply starting a thread to sing his praises. The latter is a common fraud we see happen over and over in various forms and such threads are usually called out and then deleted. I don't think this thread was such a fraud but, at the same time, I hope most reading this will see my side of the question.

Evidently the distinction and the problem it represents to administer escapes some here. So let me try again to explain.

Unauthorized promotion of non-merchant subscribers is what we're talking about. It's a real and ongoing problem here ... two today so far. It doesn't matter who does it. It can be a new member or it can be an old respected member. It may be devious or well intentioned. Our problem is that if we let it stand then other members think it is okay and incidents of it continue and increase.

Some here would like for us to play these things by ear. Some reference links are okay and others aren't. But people expect our rules to be well defined and uniformly enforced. So let's have a go at that:

1. No posts are allowed by any member which promote themselves, their products or their services or something they wish to sell without either a merchant subscription or the permission of an admin prior to posting it.

2. No posts are allowed by any member which promote someone else, their products or their services who is not a merchant subscriber when a merchant subscriber exists who deals in the same or similar product or service except as noted in #3.

3. Referrals to vendors (merchant subscriber or not) are allowed and are encouraged when a member requests such a referral.

4. Posts by members that link to other sites and vendors and which are interpreted by any admin as being unauthorized promotion are subject to deletion or modification and may result in disciplinary action against the member.

5. Posts, by other than merchant subscribers, offering to buy, sell, hire, seeking an installer etc. which are covered by our Member to Member Classified Section are not permitted in the forums and should be placed in the classified ad section.

iSign

with no ill will towards the circling sharks... but I agree with Gino... we have the flys drawn to the flame of religion, and politics... & we have then drawn to question Fred's forum running skill...

Fred made the distinction quite clear to me, and without singling out anyone, or mind reading an actual accusation of individual intent... but as he later noticed.. his clear explanation escapes some...

it doesn't escape me.. it's as simple as trying not to laugh sometimes at your kids breaking rules.. you can set them & forget them... you have to enforce them or they cease to exist.. like surfing & waiting in the lineup.. there is a current out there.. if you want to maintain the "way things are" ...you have to constantly put just enough pressure against the opposing force, so that force doesn't move you... that is not mean, unusual or isolated.. that is just a reasonable effort to maintain simple & just rules that are not new & everyone should know!

Graphics2u

Bashing anyone especially Fred was not my intent. I wondered why some Links stay and some go? The fact that ddarlak agreed makes me realize I did a poor job of expressing myself.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
pops_blinking.gif
Just removed three more. Thank you Gino for the heads up.