• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge2-Streaking Problem

AKProbeGT

I have a problem with my Gerber Edge2 leaving very consistent streaks. I have tried changing the vinyl, changing the foil and changing the file I'm printing. Nothing changes anything. I've never had a problem with the machine in the 3+ years I've been using it and it was printing just fine yesterday. I tried cleaning the print head extra well but there was no change.

Attachments

• streak.jpg
    streak.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 228

AKProbeGT

I've tried a different file, not a different cable. It was printing flawlessly yesterday. Definitely more than one pixel.

Tony Teveris

It's too uniform, I think it's a cable within the printer itself, not the cable from printer to computer. Check for loose connections under the hood.

Stevo

Sounds like that might be it. (Well, Tony would know.)
It's been awhile since I've run an edge. There is also another test you can do to check your printer head. Maybe Tony can elaborate here abit for me.
Run a 11.8 square filled with 50% (i think) fill on it with cobalt blue. From what I know that indicate what shape your printer head is in. Streaks, hot spots, etc.
I've had 2 printer heads blow on me with one streak but nothing like this!
Def looks like a cable issue.
Good luck to ya!

Stevo

Browner

Mine go the other way :p

Now that some of the big wigs are in here checking the thread out, I'm gonna jack it (a bit).

Similar situation to yours.... but I can't find a way of repeating it. It seems compeletely random:

The EDGE just decides to not print a certain section of the print. It's ALWAYS the same section along the y axis.

Sometimes it's just a little (see the red wings), sometimes it's a lot (see my black test bars). Sometimes, it even starts alright, then craps the bed, then comes back (see the white text).

What really gets my goat is when it's a multicolor job, and it's the LAST color to go down (see Captain America). At least with black I can start the print back at home, and try over... but sometimes it'll screw up on the 4th color of six or something.

I noticed Tony mentioned lifting the hood and making sure eveything was tight. I did that for all the cables I saw in the bottom of the machine. Where things got a little tight and hairy looking under the TOP cover I was a little nervous, and made sure that at least what I could see and get my fat fingers into was well seated....

That being said, are there any diagrams or pictures out there of what might be the issue? How far down can I dissasemble this thing before I should seek professional help.

Looking forward to your replies,

Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 189

AKProbeGT

The streaks are vary consistent. If I send over 4 of an item it puts the streaks in the exact same spot on each item. It is doing it to each file I have tried. I changed the serial cable from the computer to the Edge with no change in the print so that is not the problem. I tried poking around under the hood and cant find any wires that are broken or loose.

theskipman_98

Now that some of the big wigs are in here checking the thread out, I'm gonna jack it (a bit).

Similar situation to yours.... but I can't find a way of repeating it. It seems compeletely random:

On the first with the wings, looks like a problem I've had before.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31047

on the one's with the blocks that "fell out" I know this sounds like a stupid question, but are there any rectangles hanging out on your design with a white or clear fill on them? That one has me baffles, never seen that one yet.

Browner

On the first with the wings, looks like a problem I've had before.
I believe it's different. I tried to get a "closeup" view of the misprint, indicating that it was definitely a pixelated (intentional) miss vs. material mismatches... and it's an EDGE "1".

On the one's with the blocks that "fell out" I know this sounds like a stupid question, but are there any rectangles hanging out on your design with a white or clear fill on them? That one has me baffles, never seen that one yet.
No rectangles hanging out. Same job printed three different times. First time it "missed" , second and third times it didn't. Went to print Cappy and it starts "missing" again.

I like the theory that it's cables INSIDE of the EDGE. I'm also wondering if there's a set of cables going to the print head that would "section" the print... because as random as the issue is, it is ALWAYS in the same vertical "quandrant". It would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Is it data or power?!?!?!

Service Sign Co

If they would talk to Canadians, the first thing they would tell you to do is re-seat EVERY cable or connection on both boards. If I recall correctly there are about a dozen. I've had some weird issues with some jobs in the past,but not quite like the above

signage

I would try removing all connections one at a time and spaying contact cleaner on the contacts and replace them.

Browner

Hey Chris,
not sure who you got your edge from, but we've had great tech support from Gerber.
Bought it new from ND ages ago.

Mind you - I haven't actually tried calling Gerber Tech support lately... maybe their policies have changed.

Hmph... I just called. The guy asked a couple of questions and gave me a reference number. We'll see what happens I guess!

Browner

WOW!

Just got a call back from Karen at Gerber. She figures it might be my video card. She's suggested turning down the hardware acceleration a notch.

I'll see how it goes!

Chris