• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Service is really upsetting me.

Tony Teveris

gcrocker26 - just want to make sure I understand, you are not happy with Gerber Service for your ion? Its not clear to me in your post and have you expressed your concerns to the tech's management?

WrapSpot

gcrocker26 - just want to make sure I understand, you are not happy with Gerber Service for your ion? Its not clear to me in your post and have you expressed your concerns to the tech's management?

I left a message. (waiting):Sleeping:

Tony, I think there are some superstars at Gerber, but I think they are overwhelmed...that does sound like a management problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little late to the party here, but for about 99% of my Gerber use.... that is about the best equipment I've ever bought. I don't use it as much anymore, since a computer crashed and I couldn't re-load the software, but it's still stuff built like a Sherman tank. It never dies.

Seems like you need to figure out how to become a little more mechanically inclined if you're gonna continue to buy used out-a-date equipment, not to mention be careful of your titles when posting. That title is horrible for something that isn't even their fault.

Marlene

Gerber has some of the best equipment and software on the market. most of us long time users (we have been using Gerber equipment since the 1980's) have little or no experience with Gerber service as our equipment NEVER breaks down. take some time and read thru the "help my (fill in the blank) is printing" and such and you'll notice a treand, there are hardly any Gerber users and when there is, 99.9% of the time, it is operator error. we have a HSplus 15 that I can't even remember when it was purchased but I think it was back in the early 1990's. I've had a little issue with it, posted it here and Fred showed me how to do a cleaning inside where the head is and ta da, all is OK. Our edge was purchased way back when they stopped making the Edge 1 and it is an Edge 2. it went out for service once in all these years.

posting a never buy a Gerber just because you are ticked off seems a little unfair to Gerber. also, Tony is a memeber here and when people have an issue, not only do you get user help, you a Gerber rep.

WrapSpot

I'm a little late to the party here, but for about 99% of my Gerber use.... that is about the best equipment I've ever bought. I don't use it as much anymore, since a computer crashed and I couldn't re-load the software, but it's still stuff built like a Sherman tank. It never dies.

Seems like you need to figure out how to become a little more mechanically inclined if you're gonna continue to buy used out-a-date equipment, not to mention be careful of your titles when posting. That title is horrible for something that isn't even their fault.

If they have a service/support issue, who's fault is that? If there's a way to change the title, let me know and I will amend it to something you would consider more fair.

WrapSpot

Gerber has some of the best equipment and software on the market. most of us long time users (we have been using Gerber equipment since the 1980's) have little or no experience with Gerber service as our equipment NEVER breaks down. take some time and read thru the "help my (fill in the blank) is printing" and such and you'll notice a treand, there are hardly any Gerber users and when there is, 99.9% of the time, it is operator error. we have a HSplus 15 that I can't even remember when it was purchased but I think it was back in the early 1990's. I've had a little issue with it, posted it here and Fred showed me how to do a cleaning inside where the head is and ta da, all is OK. Our edge was purchased way back when they stopped making the Edge 1 and it is an Edge 2. it went out for service once in all these years.

posting a never buy a Gerber just because you are ticked off seems a little unfair to Gerber. also, Tony is a memeber here and when people have an issue, not only do you get user help, you a Gerber rep.

You are right, it was harsh and I was very very upset with their lack of concern that I was not able to meet my customers needs (something I take seriously). I believe that some of the Gerber folks are superstars (maybe many). Tony sounds like a superstar. The tech that installed my Solara (Al) is a superstar. However, based on my overall experience(s) I won't buy another Gerber product. I do not recommend them. At some point I hope to own a CNC router, but it won't be a Gerber.

My Gerber Solara Ion X is a GREAT machine, but it is NOT bulletproof. The Gerber Edge sounds bulletproof. Gerber has great products.

WrapSpot

What would you like it changed to?

How about: Gerber Service is really upsetting me. I love my Solara, but I won't buy another Gerber machine or recommend Gerber if I can't get timely support.

By the way, you said I should become more mechanically inclined. I have because it costs $800 for the tech to drive out here (2 hour travel). That makes a 1 hour service call $1,000.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
How about: Gerber Service is really upsetting me. I love my Solara, but I won't buy another Gerber machine or recommend Gerber if I can't get timely support.

By the way, you said I should become more mechanically inclined. I have because it costs $800 for the tech to drive out here (2 hour travel). That makes a 1 hour service call $1,000.

Name change is coming but I never said that to you. Someone else did.

no offense but this comes up from time to time. if you buy used new equipment and it is under warrantee I have yet to see a dealer leave anyone truly dangling ... if you buy used equipment out of warrantee it is most likely going to cost you top tier pricing to have that equipment serviced, especially if you are going to the manufacturer, there are other alternatives.

additionally, as noted there comes a time that most manufacturers quite servicing particular pieces of equipment for a variety of reasons, not sure if this is or is not an issue with this transaction...but it sure seems like there is more to the story.

there is a HUGE amount of knowledge between the collective minds of this forum and it is a rare day when someone encounters an issue that we have not encountered. there is a WIDE variety of equipment dealers, techs, end users and between all of us it is a rare day that a problem occurs that we can not find a solution to.

lay out the issue, clearly, without emotion. give us all the machine info, software type and version so that we are not all fishing for information and let us see if we can get you running.

WrapSpot

no offense but this comes up from time to time. if you buy used new equipment and it is under warrantee I have yet to see a dealer leave anyone truly dangling ... if you buy used equipment out of warrantee it is most likely going to cost you top tier pricing to have that equipment serviced, especially if you are going to the manufacturer, there are other alternatives.

additionally, as noted there comes a time that most manufacturers quite servicing particular pieces of equipment for a variety of reasons, not sure if this is or is not an issue with this transaction...but it sure seems like there is more to the story.

there is a HUGE amount of knowledge between the collective minds of this forum and it is a rare day when someone encounters an issue that we have not encountered. there is a WIDE variety of equipment dealers, techs, end users and between all of us it is a rare day that a problem occurs that we can not find a solution to.

lay out the issue, clearly, without emotion. give us all the machine info, software type and version so that we are not all fishing for information and let us see if we can get you running.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't feel like I was left hanging so much as given the back seat and because it is a used item may very well be the reason. I think a lot of my early support issues had to do with purchasing the machine used. Gerber did the removal (not sure what that cost) and our installation, but they were very hesitant to do so. Ultimately, with some new parts, the install was about $5,000, but it was done right and I was thankful to have a very knowledgeable Gerber tech do the install. I was not going to buy it without Gerber's expertise.

Maybe the subtle message is don't buy used Gerbers (or other graphics) equipment because the manufacturer is not going to provide the same level of support at a reasonable price. I don't think that's a good strategy for a company because it would dramatically hurt the resale value of a machine if you can't hope to get a fair price for it used. If you go to sell either to upgrade or change your business model you will have a less valuable piece of equipment if a purchaser is afraid of support issues.

Also, if the message gets out that manufacturers don't provide the same level of service on used equipment won't the financing companies be less inclined to finance a machine? I mean if they can't get a fair price on resale because no one wants a used machine they won't want to take the risk of having to repo and resell it. Basically, the collateral has a lower value.

Most of these higher priced machines ($100K and up) need some sort of financing I would guess.

By the way, it's not like Gerber does not make money off of a good working used machine. This season I am buying $500+ in ink each week.

signage

gcrocker26 when you buy a used car do you get the same warranty that one gets when they buy a new one? Not that I know of, once they run out of warranty they charge for repairs! So I think this is the same across the board on used anything. The biggest thing I can think of is that the fewer of something sold the more it cost to get repaired due to being a more specialty field.

Custom_Grafx

If you ask me, service in general, across all industries, all brands, all over the world, is nothing like it used to be. Mostly not because the companies don't like giving it or aren't capable, but because the consumer isn't happy to pay for it as long as there is a cheaper alternative. Human nature/greed. How do you think so much manufacturing ended up where it has?

andy

Y

Maybe the subtle message is don't buy used Gerbers (or other graphics) equipment because the manufacturer is not going to provide the same level of support at a reasonable price.

Don't buy used Gerber machines which Gerber themselves are desperately trying to row away from.... a bit of research tells you that Gerber are frantically abandoning the large format digital printing ship.

Problematic machines, angry customers, an endless merry go round of warranty calls and repairs... it all got too much so the cheapest option was to dump everything and rely on vinyl cutters, routers and the antique technology of the Edge.

Gerber were really great in the early 1990's.... now not so much.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
If you ask me, service in general, across all industries, all brands, all over the world, is nothing like it used to be. Mostly not because the companies don't like giving it or aren't capable, but because the consumer isn't happy to pay for it as long as there is a cheaper alternative. Human nature/greed. How do you think so much manufacturing ended up where it has?

:goodpost: