• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Vinyl---Good or Junk?

thesignguy1986

Hey there wondering what everyone though of gerber vinyl. I have never personally used gerber vinyl and none of my suppliers even sell it that I know of. Thee other day though a guy walked in wanting some stickers because the ones he'd ordered from another local shop were junk he says. So I gave him a price and made them on the spot for him. While cutting I asked what was wrong and he said they were the flimsiest cheapest sh*tiest vinyl he's ever seen. So I was curious and asked if he had it on him and he did. He brought it in and in my opinion I totally agreed. I have never seen vinyl that was so bad as to it rip if you barely touched it. Now I'm guessing it was old but I'm wondering is this vinyl any good? I just can't believe I've never really seen it being how much vinyl I use and honestly this vinyl was just really garbage.

Just wondering opinions

thanks

iSign

well, after reading that whole thing, you didn't actually say the crap he brought in was Gerber vinyl... but it sounds like you are implying that... so did you learn that from the liner? If so, did you bother to learn which series of Gerber vinyl it was? In my experience Gerber is some of the best vinyl available anywhere, in fact what I use is made by 3M... heard of them? Gerber 220 is a premium vinyl that rivals any other, but also costs more. They do have Quantum as one cheaper alternative, which I never use. There are many others too...

thesignguy1986

Yes it was Gerber vinyl lol. I would think being Gerber it would be a very good vinyl myself I was just in shock of how bad the product he brought in was. I myself as I've said have never tried it but was just wondering if others have had problems. I would guess you are right though and it could just be there low end product, but being Gerber I would have still thought it to be a good product. Who knows...

Fitch

"The other day though a guy walked in wanting some stickers because the ones he'd ordered from another local shop were junk he says."

On what basis does he determine it is "junk". If he knows so much why is he coming to you. Either the print is bad - nothing to do with the quality of the vinyl (tack ability etc) or he is such an expert on vinyl he really is in a position to decide as such. Which still makes me wonder why he is coming to you. If he knows so much to say it is junk - then maybe it is unsuitable for the application - in which case - seeing he knows so much would have meant that in the first instance he would have insisted on XXX brand / series of vinyl from the original supplier.

"they were the flimsiest cheapest sh*tiest vinyl he's ever seen."

So he has seen a LOT of vinyl? If he has seen THAT much - should have known better. Reflective I would consider tough - but "flimsy" - easy to break and not cheap. Doesn't mean its crap.

"in my opinion I totally agreed. I have never seen vinyl that was so bad as to it rip if you barely touched it." Once again - Reflective will do that - not necessarily crap. Old vinyl becomes brittle - but depending on the application, can still be used. Why would you "totally agree" with someone that by your admittance - appears to have more knowledge about (Gerber?) vinyl than you? You are supposedly the expert. Whether paying the bills or not - I would never agree with someone that was out and out wrong.

"I just can't believe I've never really seen it being how much vinyl I use and honestly this vinyl was just really garbage." Whoahhhhhhhh there horsies... you said " have never personally used gerber vinyl and none of my suppliers even sell it that I know of".

What did you determine that made it "garbage"?

If you have never used it.... how would you put it against what you have used.

Generally speaking, cheaper vinyl is thicker and so becomes harder to rip, not easier.

All that aside, this guy according to the post seems quite "knowledgable", forthright, and confident in approaching you with a problem.

Assuming he paid for the stickers, why is he talking to you, and not the original supplier?

Kinda confused here man.

Jillbeans

I always loved to use Gerber stuff.
I would only buy their brand of white HP.
But I do like how white Oracal comes on a blue liner.
Love....Jill

Zambookajoe

Ive run a ton of gerber and never even one complaint, I do not run It as much since Ive bought a Mimaki but thats a whole different ball game.
I had one bad roll where the holes were a bit cock eyed and I just told my rep how poorly it would run in the machine(the output was fine)and he shipped me a new.I think its pretty much a rebranded 3m film not sure on that, just a thought.

avery on the other hand, the vinyl and the liner sucks

signage

Being you don't seen to know the Gerber products, are you sure it was vinyl? Or did you assume it was?

Billct2

Been using Gerber branded vinyl since the first 4B, 30 years?
It's a great probuct, and right now the price from my supplier is about the same as Arlon, my other favorite vinyl.
Like others said, they have a lot of different products, so without more info it's hard to know what the issue was. Maybe the other shop bought a 10 year old roll of calendered vinyl off ebay.

Last edited:

skyhigh

I'm wondering how you "ripped" it? did you actually pull the vinyl off the backer paper? Was it a metallic vinyl or some of the transparent stuff? Those products will rip (instead of stretch) when you pull on an inside corner, lets say easier than a regular vinyl.

Like others have said, Gerber is some of the best. I'm confused by your comments.

smdgrfx

My understanding was that Gerber products are made by 3M. I have been using Gerber vinyl from the get go (1996) and I have never had any problems. Especially with ripping? If it's really brittle, maybe it was really old. I don't think I have ever ripped any Gerber vinyl.

And typically, the thicker it is - the cheaper the vinyl is. Unless you are using Convex...