• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

goin to school for graphic design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billct2

There are some schools that allow you to design your own major. You didn't say whether any of your prior schooling got you a degree, but if it didn't you may be able to wrap some of those credits in and get closer to a degree that much faster. I would love to take some classes on Printer Technology and Design Software, just to learn how to use these tools better.

IGD

sorry I was tied up all day, thanks for all the responses, too many to address, but I am doing a 2 year degree, not really for the degree but for the software learning, and just more knowledge on design. A friend of mine went and he helps me out all the time so I know it was a good choice for him, its at a local community college in the woodlands, tx, Ive heard great things. And yes Ive already gotten my degree in business(associates) so alot of stuff transfers over.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with Dan on where you want to be in 5 years...
One thing, going to school to learn software makes no sense... you push a mouse.. and click. A degree based on mouse clicking makes as much sense as majoring in pencil. I would try lynda.com for that.

Basic principles in design, developing a concept, typography, and color, and being curious will take you farther than software skills.

By the way I dropped out of 2 schools... My skills came from being mentored.

I would suggest The Art Institutes http://www.artinstitutes.edu/

rjssigns

One thing, going to school to learn software makes no sense... you push a mouse.. and click. A degree based on mouse clicking makes as much sense as majoring in pencil. I would try lynda.com for that.

Really?! Just learn to click a mouse? You are too funny. I will forward this post to my instructors. ROFL

visual800

Just my opinion you can't learn design in school.....I can show you several ad agencies now full of college kids that prove that point every day. Design comes from within, not a classroom. You also cannot teach people to draw. If they can't draw inside they cannot be taught.

I attended college back in late 80's and it didn't take long to realize I hated it and it was a waste of my time. My first design job was at Lamar Advertising making $4 per hour and I lied and told them I had been to college, lol

I learned by working at other sign shops and the computers really enabled me to do more and more designs. Which grew into my own style

SignManiac

Although you've made up your mind to go, keep in mind that it may or may not help because as stated, it comes down to what's inside of you. I too have never been to school and entirely self taught. My driving passion to self improve is what has taken me to where I am today.

Learn to observe with a very keen eye what is beautiful and then dissect it to figure out what makes something that way. You can probably learn more by just reading the books that are out there already. Good luck either way.

John Butto

Do not know if there is a supreme being, but he or she did a wonderful job on designing the universe with earth and all of its beautiful wonderments. I wonder what school he or she attended.

rjssigns

Being able to run software proficiently and fast is one thing you will learn in school. Is that not the core of most of our business models?

After school all your taste may still be in your mouth, but you should be extremely fast with PS and Ai.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
go to school.jpg

WildWestDesigns

I'm one of those that believe education isn't a waste, it is what you put into it and it is what you do with it afterward. That's what will determine if it was worth it or not.

I know plenty of people that had mentors, that were self taught, or had been through the education system. A variety of success stories out of all of those groups.

I've seen self taught digitizers that send out crap that were self taught, but thought their designs were great. They just didn't have anyone (be it a class setting or a mentor) to bounce things off of to see if they were on the right track. Not all the time mind you, but it happens fairly frequently, especially with the proliferation of books (and other materials) that don't teach proper techniques and there is nothing for that person to base what is right or wrong.

Each one has their pros and cons by themselves. Potential for being a disaster or success. It all depends on how the individual person learns and/or if they are open to that type of learning. If you aren't open from the get go or too skeptical, no matter which path you choose, it won't work.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Being able to run software proficiently and fast is one thing you will learn in school. Is that not the core of most of our business models?

After school all your taste may still be in your mouth, but you should be extremely fast with PS and Ai.

Maybe for some sign shops...

You do not get proficient by knowing the tools, just like a pencil or brush, you get proficient by practice.

Graphic design is not about what tool was used to make it, but the process in which it came about and the use of form and content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYLh94tN9cw

rjssigns

Maybe for some sign shops...

You do not get proficient by knowing the tools, just like a pencil or brush, you get proficient by practice.

Graphic design is not about what tool was used to make it, but the process in which it came about and the use of form and content.

So nobody should ever go to school to learn anything ever. Gotcha.

I like the people that don't think they need to know how to run software/equipment properly and rapidly. I'm the guy eating their lunch. Savvy?

IGD

thats really all im goin for is ps and ai, ive self taught myselft everything up to now I just wanna be more efficient, it doesnt cost an arm and a leg plus I have most core already done

IGD

I can't believe ppl are against education, you get what you put in it, Ive gotten two degrees already with both 4.0gpa and deans list, every minute was worth it to me

signage

Mr deans list from UTI, I have a Friend that has a Ford mustang that the security light stay lite after the key is inserted into the ignitions, no codes what is the problem?

IGD

Mr deans list from UTI, I have a Friend that has a Ford mustang that the security light stay lite after the key is inserted into the ignitions, no codes what is the problem?
lol probably an issue with the key program itslelf wouldnt know for sure without hooking up a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.