• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

google drive

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I believe anything owned by Google now has these terms. The only way to opt out of Google's new policy on data mining is to not use any of their services

WildWestDesigns

You left out parts of that. Here is the whole wording of that paragraph:

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

In most instances, I might have been swayed with it being taken out of context. However, the scope of freedom that you are given up is too much. I was looking through some books that I have and their EULA is basically the opposite of the license that google wants you to give them. Out of what we do, promoting would be the biggest one that would have an impact of what we put on there.

Now, the odds of it really happening might be out there, but there wouldn't be a thing that you could do about it if it were to happen, because you agreed to it.

I'm too much like my dad. I don't like to be too limited in my contracts for what I can do.

cptcorn

adad
You left out parts of that. Here is the whole wording of that paragraph:

And read everything you highlighted in bold and after. It still says, what ever you upload, we can still use for what ever reason within our company. Even if you delete it, it doesn't mean we still can't use it.

Yeah, not a fan of that. Regardless of how likely something like this would happen.

What if Google uses something you created for someone else and you don't have the rights to distribute it. Google uses it. That company sues Google for using it. This comes back to you because you were the one that distributed it to Google saying it's "ok" to use because you uploaded it to their service.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Are they really looking at every file being saved? Let's say 1 million people try this out and each person has anywhere from 10-10,000 files in their google drive. Is Google opening up every file uploaded to google drive searching for usable content?

I would say don't save anything private (card #s, passwords, personal info) on anything cloud based if you are concerned about security.

WildWestDesigns

They wouldn't have to I would think.

How many here put metadata info on their files? Ranging from notes to keywords? I'm sure Google would have something that would be able to search based on using that info. I know I put that info in my files if there is something special that I used in the file that I want to make sure that continues if it's a re-order.

Or they could do just do a search based on folder names that people use to organize everything and then just do some random file pulling that way.

It may be more of a mental thing with me. I just don't like them having that ability to do that if on the very remote chance that they happen to use one of my files.

I'm very much a risk adverse person. Perhaps maybe too much so from a logical perspective.

cptcorn

adad
I'm not saying it would happen. I'm just saying it could happen. Google is positioning themselves to benefit and protect themselves. I don't blame them.

Locals Find!

When will it be available?

I got it up and running fully yesterday. Really it's just google docs on steroids with a widget to upload from your computer. Can't really see much difference between it and dropbox currently. I haven't seen anything too impressive yet.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I got it up and running fully yesterday. Really it's just google docs on steroids with a widget to upload from your computer. Can't really see much difference between it and dropbox currently. I haven't seen anything too impressive yet.

This....

"View anything.
Open over 30 file types right in your browser—including HD video, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop—even if you don’t have the program installed on your computer."

I have not tested it out though.

Locals Find!

This....

"View anything.
Open over 30 file types right in your browser—including HD video, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop—even if you don’t have the program installed on your computer."

I have not tested it out though.

I opened a cs2 .ai file in there earlier. All it did was make it a .png file and allowed me to view it. Nothing overly exciting. I could see where it might be useful to use as a proofing tool while avoiding extra steps because you can leave comments on the image.

I think it will take some serious hand holding though till it becomes more main stream to be of real use in day to day business with clients.

For services like you offer though I think it could be priceless to proof out a file to another professional that actually knows how to operate a computer.

Like I said though nothing exciting. (maybe I am just jaded and expect more of a wow factor from Google)