• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle!

HonakerAuto

I'm Tom from Honaker Automotive. HA is not a sign company per se, obviously, but is instead an auto repair shop.

So why is someone from an auto shop posting here?

To explain... We're based in a tourist town and a popular destination for vacationers from neighboring states. So much so the area is nicknamed the "Redneck Riviera," due mainly to the massive tourist counts from southern Georgia and Alabama. Loads and loads of folks here like rear-window and top-of-windshield appliques, and we started to get queries about those, along with pretty much any other decal application relating to autos. So, I did some checking into the signage industry and where it relates to auto customizing, one thing led to another, and now we have a Creation PCUT CR730 and customers coming in wanting custom decals. We also have two nearby companies with small fleets sniffing around about getting some magnetic signs done.

All I can say is thank God I'm an old hand at vector imagery as in the first week of having the equipment operational I've already gotten two jobs that involve having to create artwork from scratch instead of clipart. I can imagine folks trying out signmaking with zero expertise in handling vector imagery would have one heck of a steep learning curve to climb. Hitting the ground running is not a bad thing! :rock-n-roll:

As it turns out, there's also a full sign company down the street, so we're sticking strictly to auto-centric stuff and handing off anything beyond that, or exceeding what we can do with our cheapie little cutter, to them. (There's a lot of competitors referring work to each other going on in this town. Helps keep everyone from going under when things slow down.)

Anyway, I registered an account here basically so that I can steer the company's emerging vehicle signage "department" into doing things in a proper, industry-standard manner. We're all of the "go big or go home" mindset around these parts but I for one like to at least try to do things right the first time. So, hopefully you folks with loads more experience than me can help with that. :notworthy:

So that's the "newbie" entry for me I suppose... We now return you to the previous discussions, already in progress... :popcorn:

OldPaint

iam over here in pepsi-cola, and i know the big sign shop you are referin to. johnny is a good guy. but would rather do the lighted road signs.

HonakerAuto

Wow, impressive response for a newbie-meet post - tells me the board's got a vibrant (read: talkative/noisy :biggrin: ) community going.

:thankyou:

Welcome. I will be in Destin in a few weeks. What a gorgeous area.

Folks think they know what a beautiful beach is, but until you see sugar-white sand (that squeaks underfoot, BTW!) and emerald-green water you ain't seen a beautiful beach. (From what I hear only Hawaii and other tropical islands really compare, but I've not been there to work up a checklist.)

Welcome from up the road!

Hey, how goes it up in Crustyville/Crestberg/Crestucky? :biggrin:

Welcome from St Petersburg. That's one of the best "newbie" posts I've seen.

Almost moved to Saint Pete one time, but ended up in Homestead instead. That Sunshine Skyway is nuts...

Heading to Destin on Tues. Maybe I'll stop in for a decal for my rental!

Oh yeah, I bet they'd love that... For added points get one with a cloth interior and let's do some heat transfers. :thumb:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Welcome from the other side of the skyway... and our Manatee County beaches can rival yours :smile:

You did a bang-up job of introducing yourself and your reason for being here... we like that here...

now just don't ask about peeing Calvins LOL