• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gun threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcat_hunter

Well for instance,....

My father is 69 years old. He has a completely psychotic neighbor who started threatening to hurt him because he had a utility trailer parked in the street for a few days.

Then my fathers home started to become vandalized. Broken windows, crap thrown on his door etc. My dad started talking to the neighbors. All the neighbors agreed that the psycho neighbor was truly mentally unstable and very much a threat. He had even threatened children.

One day my dad was at the local landfill with his utility trailer and the guy happened to be there. He confronted my dad and said he was going kill him and he was just an old man.

Well my dad politely informed this guy that he was a "well armed" old man. In fact he was ready to defend his life with a gun at that very moment.

The neighbor now completely leaves my dad alone. Wont even look him in the eye. The police know of the situation and agree that my dads life could be in danger and has every right to shoot the guy if needed.

If my father did not have the right to bear arms he could very well be dead right now. That is one example of freedom.

David Wright

I am from England which is a disarmed society and I have always been able to enjoy my freedom.
Thank you for your reply.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I include my own country in that also. Guns without protecting real liberty is an illusion of any having any real freedom. I wish our goverrnment feared us more and we would quit supporting their violence which is astronomical compared to It's citizenry's.

fmg

Thanks for the reply Bigcat hunter. I sure am pleased I don't live next door to your dad or his neighbor come to think of it.
Bizarre in my opinion but thats America for y'all.

fmg

You know if the same situation occurred to my father who is about the same age and lives back in England and his neighbor, I am pretty sure my dad would have called the police to diffuse the situation and more than likely it would have.Thats the civilized way to deal with something like this.I just could not fathom seeing my dad shoot his neighour because of some mentally disturbed person verbally threatening him.Absolute ridiculous in my opinion and that is why this country has way too many gun crimes.

Bigcat_hunter

You know if the same situation occurred to my father who is about the same age and lives back in England and his neighbor, I am pretty sure my dad would have called the police to diffuse the situation and more than likely it would have.Thats the civilized way to deal with something like this.I just could not fathom seeing my dad shoot his neighour because of some mentally disturbed person verbally threatening him.Absolute ridiculous in my opinion and that is why this country has way too many gun crimes.

He did call the police. Several times. They said there was nothing they could do until he assaulted him.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

WildWestDesigns

You know if the same situation occurred to my father who is about the same age and lives back in England and his neighbor, I am pretty sure my dad would have called the police to diffuse the situation and more than likely it would have.Thats the civilized way to deal with something like this.

You have two problems with that. One which was already addressed by Bigcat, the second is that you are assuming that you have the time to call the police and wait until they get there in order to defuse the situation. A lot can happen in that time.

I just could not fathom seeing my dad shoot his neighour because of some mentally disturbed person verbally threatening him.Absolute ridiculous in my opinion and that is why this country has way too many gun crimes.

It depends on the manner of the threat and if you believe that he would carryout that threat.

Already mentally disturbed, anything can happen, because they aren't thinking logically. I'm sure quite a few had said some "tough guy" stuff, but never carried it out. With a person in that state, you just never know and you don't know how much time you have to protect yourself.

Hard to judge the situation, if you've never been there in real life. Otherwise it's just speculation as to what you would do.

fmg

Yep you sure do have a point there.

Attachments

• Stylo-for-Pickard-2-002.jpg
    Stylo-for-Pickard-2-002.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 85

fmg

Hard to judge the situation, if you've never been there in real life. Otherwise it's just speculation as to what you would do.
Agreed but I am just pleased to say that I am from a society that has a more civilized approach to a situation like this.I am fortunate enough to have lived both across the pond and here in the USA so I can compare apples to apples and one of them has a rotten core regarding the gun law situation.Again I say this with respect as I know it is a sensitive issue with a lot of you good American people.

WildWestDesigns

Agreed but I am just pleased to say that I am from a society that has a more civilized approach to a situation like this.I am fortunate enough to have lived both across the pond and here in the USA so I can compare apples to apples and one of them has a rotten core regarding the gun law situation.Again I say this with respect as I know it is a sensitive issue with a lot of you good American people.

Not quite apples to apples and I say that because your from a country that has a different cultural identity and a different cultural approach. Not quite apples to apples.

It would be like my living in the Middle East (or Japan or anywhere else that has a different culture from ours) for awhile and thinking their cultures were more barbaric then the culture of the America. It's hard to think objectively when you grew up in a place that has a different cultural identity.

CES020

I am from England which is a disarmed society and I have always been able to enjoy my freedom.
Thank you for your reply.

You must live somewhere other than where I lived. When I lived there, the IRA set off a bomb in the financial district that took out every piece of glass for blocks. I was there, I have the photos.

Also when I was there, on more than one occasion, the tube station was down because of bomb threats. They also put bombs in trash cans at the south end of a mall, and called the threat in at the north end of the mall, so people evacuating would rush to where it actually was.

When I flew out of the country, police with machine guns lined the inside of the airports.

I'm not sure if that's your view of freedom or not.

fmg

I was born and bred in London and was present in the city when the IRA did that amongst many other atrocities that those murdering Ba$tard$ carried out!
I am in full support of military and police to carry weapons to protect.I don't agree with citizens carrying firearms.

fmg

Then go back! This country was founded on freedom that all started with firearms to fight the English government to gain what freedoms we have!
Don't be ignorant.I have a right to live here as well as anywhere in Europe. I have the best of both worlds. When I am ready to go back I will and in the meantime I rather enjoy my lifestyle in the USA.
You must of been one of the small amount of 90'000 people that signed the petition wanting to deport Piers Morgan.

FrankW

I'm not a US citizen, but I had relatives in the US ... "had" because my aunt moves back to europe after some teenagers shooting around in the wood in california and killed her husband (my uncle) by mistake in the age of 28. It's a long time ago, but I still remember how my mother has cryed after she gets the phone call (she has spend some weeks in california with my aunt and uncle a few months ago).

When some of you say that the weapons are not the problem, than they are right ... alcohol, drugs, cars and so on are not the problem too, the problem is that we all humans and sometimes acting irresponsible, sometimes aren't psychologically healthy, sometimes just doing mistakes (interpreting situations wrong etc.) and so on. Be honest: how much of you who want to keep liberal gun laws would agree with liberalized drug sale and consumation?

We need to change the complete human nature to reach the target that weapons aren't dangerous anymore. There will be no chance to. As long as we can't do that, we need to find a balance between saving personal rights on one site and protecting ourselfes on the other side.

tsgstl

wow I am ashamed at some of these comments
we are a democracy that the direction of this country is based on a majority of the public. If you dont like the direction maybe it is you that needs to leave. I am thankful that some of these opinions which I disagree with are the minority and will continue to decline in numbers and give way to reasoning and science based facts.

lots of things have been changed over time: slavery, rights of women and blacks etc
they were all met with resistance, I'm confident this to will be figured out.

Billct2

OK, 5 pages of debate, has anyone changed their mind? Raise your hand if you have....anyone....no I didn't think so.

CES020

wow I am ashamed at some of these comments
we are a democracy that the direction of this country is based on a majority of the public. If you dont like the direction maybe it is you that needs to leave. I am thankful that some of these opinions which I disagree with are the minority and will continue to decline in numbers and give way to reasoning and science based facts.

You might want to back that train up a little. We're NOT a democracy. We are a representative republic. Two totally different things.

Marlene

Please I would like to ask a simple question. What is the fascination between guns and american people?
Thank you.

that is a good question and one I don't think has a good answer as I'm not sure and I live here. we own a gun but we don't run around with a chip on our shoulders over owing it like a lot of people do. the NRA makes it's money fueling the fear that guns will be taken away. it is what they do. they didn't start out like that but it is what they have become. when you have a large group with any belief behind it, it fuels passion in followers. to me, owing a gun just makes sense as we don't have an in-town police force and we need to call the state police that are almost 20 miles away. it makes sense to own a gun. if some punk came to the door to do us harm, sure, I'd bust a cap in his a$$, other than that, I wouldn't shoot a spider and have never killed anything past a fly in my life and wouldn't. when my daughter as a child, I didn't allow a gun in the house and only have one now that she is grown as I know way too many kids who have been killed showing off a family gun.

this site is a good over view of what people are thinking and of the opinions out there all over the US.

have opinions been changed in the 5 pages? probably not, but come really good insight into other people's thought process on this have been posted. there have have been some really good points made on both sides of the issue.

WildWestDesigns

lots of things have been changed over time: slavery, rights of women and blacks etc
they were all met with resistance, I'm confident this to will be figured out.

There are things to that have changed over time, that might not have met with a whole lot of resistance, but didn't really turn out for the better. Some might disagree with at least one example I'm thinking of, but it has worked both ways.

OldPaint

the fasination between guns and americans.........SIMPLY. 3 answers.
1. people enjoy hunting and killing animals.
2. people live in fear of being killed.
3. people live in fear of their govt taking away their guns))))

Status
Not open for further replies.