• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hangar door panorama

gnubler

Looking for some ideas & suggestions on covering a hangar door with a panorama image. The installation area is the partition above the windows in this image, running about 60 feet wide by 15 feet high. Corrugated metal siding. If panels are applied they can't be heavy because the door lifts up.

20211006_154436.jpg

gnubler

Applied right to the siding? Looks like a nightmare installation with the corrugation and all the rivets.

There's a thread here about a couple guys who wrapped a huge grain silo. It didn't look like a fun job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Work isn't always about fun and getting paid for nothing. Jobs like this is what separates the men from the boys......... or whatever in your case.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Applied right to the siding? Looks like a nightmare installation with the corrugation and all the rivets.

There's a thread here about a couple guys who wrapped a huge grain silo. It didn't look like a fun job.
It's done all the time. It was just a suggestion. :)
No, not easy... But what does your client expect? They are asking a lot. Set their expectations to a reality level.

visual800

If I was approached with this FIRST I would find out what direction that hangar faces. If it faces south or west I would have to inform them they are not going to get a good lifespan out of anything. Normally it would not matter but this is going to be huge job. I would use 15 run s of 4' x 15' strips vertical using two guys for install, scissor lift would be great for this application. Thats gonna be some weight on that door though

zspace

Premium Subscriber
My first inclination is wrap it since it would be the lightest application. As an alternative, since it’s a tilt up door and not a roll-up, you could use a banner with industrial Velcro. It goes on a lot faster than either a wrap or panels and be much less expensive to change graphics every few years. The banner won’t pop the way laminated vinyl will, but it’s worth considering.

rjssigns

Banner frame and banner. Would take some work for initial installation but makes life easier for installation and change outs.

I also like zspace's idea of banner with industrial velcro. Only issue is the corrugations of the door. Otherwise would be a slam dunk.

Billct2

Either wrap or paint. Either way it's not cheap or easy, but the right design will make it lees painful. For instance a nice sky full of clouds with a few vintage planes. Actually a hybrid design, paint a cloud mural and add some vinyl print planes

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Without an engineers approval or some other way to verify capacity, I'd be hesitant to do anything except a wrap. A banner that size would be very heavy.

Johnny Best

Are you designing this “panorama” for the doors? Hand painted sounds the better route to take. Like said, banner will be to heavy and vinyl lining up and installation will be a lot of work.

gnubler

Thanks all for the ideas, doing a banner hadn't even crossed my mind yet. I think applying vinyl directly will have to be a pass for me, just not enough experience, and it would have to wait until next spring because it's getting too cold here already. The door faces east.

gnubler

A few more questions on this one, for educational purposes:

If it ended up being a banner, is a mesh banner the way to go? (Just for lighter weight)
Can anyone elaborate on a banner frame? Wood or metal, and how thick?
Would you do one gigantic banner or hang it in panels? (fastening with grommets crossing over at the seams) I looked at some oversize building banners online and they look like a single piece. Has anyone done those and how did you fasten them on?

I like Billct2's idea of painting the sky/clouds background, then installing printed vinyl of the planes. Much more do-able than an entire wrap.

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And this door is almost triple that size. For something not designed to hold an extra 200/some pounds, does it sound like it's gonna work ?? You hafta keep in mind the weight of the frame..... AND the banner, so why not attach something that weighs around 175lbs and see if the door can handle it. Put it along the entire length to evenly distribute the weight. Testing now will be better than after spending time and money on the wrong approach. Afterall, you're the professional, so we hafta get it right the first time round.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I dunno how a frame would even work, that door splits horizontally right above the windows with a hydraulic setup and folds back into a V to open. Vinyl would be the only option unless you broke it into 2 prints. If it slid on a track then weight and all of that wouldn't matter as much either it doesn't and that gigantic door is suspended over your head..... and the airplanes. Big hanger big $$$$ inside

gnubler

The install area is the big blank section above the windows, it's about 60 ft wide x 15 ft high. I'm not sure how the door opens (folds up outside of the building or folds up and slides into the building on a track), but I can find out. If it slides into the building a banner & frame on the face might not clear.