• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Happy Thanksgiving Yall

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
1637845234662.png

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm not sure about the rest of you, but today seem especially nostalgic as it has become my turn to do the turkey. It's just the wife and myself today, but Saturday is the "big one" at the inlaws.

I remember snapping this photo of my granny (foreground) and great aunt back in 1979. Gran always did the turkey, and I vividly remember her tiny little hands wrestling a bird that was most-likely over 25% of gran's total body weight....she didn't weigh 80 pounds soaking wet.

Back then, gran was the "apex" generation. But now (some 40+ years later) I assume that role. It seems like you go to bed one night, and then wake up a very much older person.

Anyways, S-101 members, I hope your day is blessed and that you look back on the many fond memories that brought you to this day.

P.S. Does the cabinetry and that old Betty Crocker cookbook in the background trigger any memories?

JB

Attachments

• Granny & Aunt Mabel.JPG
    Granny & Aunt Mabel.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Looks good Tex! I'm still a few hours from dinner yet. On the road, should be at mom's house in about half an hour.

James Burke

4+ hours meal prep (including shopping time)....add another two hours to de-bone the carcass, wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen. YMMV if you have helpers.

I guess we can be glad it only happens once a year.

JB

James Burke

Gorgeous photo of Thanksgiving Dinner
Ok...now you have the responsibility to identify these wonderful looking dishes. Start at the 3 o'clock position and go counterclockwise. If I had to make a wild guess, the first one looks like sliced kiwis with toasted marshmallows on top...but I know that can't be right, can it?

Next year, I'm coming to your house! :toasting:

JB

James Burke

Boudica is high society... look at those fancy plates, salad and wine glasses... Our family always served it from disposable foil pans and paper plates... eat in the living room with a plate in your lap because there aint enough chairs.
Well, you have to admit it...paper plates reduce the incessant noise of clinking utensils while trying to watch football. And you can have the entire mess cleaned up in between commercials. What's not to like about that?

JB

Boudica

You can't see the whole table. I had to crop the picture to upload it here. The center 3 items are my contribution... Homemade mashed potatoes, from mom's garden. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and a marinated salad with Romain, lentil and red onion, feta, olives. We also had green beans almandine, Turkey that was soaked in a brine, stuffing with cranberry... Cooked in the bird, gravy... Oh, and this super fancy bread my mom made... That's in the picture.
Then behind the table is a credenza with yummy snackin' aps, and home made pies. Pumpkin and apple. Apples from moms trees. This was all for 4 people.

Boudica

You can't see the whole table. I had to crop the picture to upload it here. The center 3 items are my contribution... Homemade mashed potatoes, from mom's garden. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and a marinated salad with Romain, lentil and red onion, feta, olives. We also had green beans almandine, Turkey that was soaked in a brine, stuffing with cranberry... Cooked in the bird, gravy... Oh, and this super fancy bread my mom made... That's in the picture.
Then behind the table is a credenza with yummy snackin' aps, and home made pies. Pumpkin and apple. Apples from moms trees. This was all for 4 people.
Ps, my mom made those place mats