• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Soak and Clean

westpointsigns

What are you using for Head Soaking and Cleaning the print heads?

I want to use an ultrasonic cleaner and don't really want to tear apart a cleaning cartridge for doing that. At around $40 each that is kind of pricey.

Is there something available in bulk? Pint or Quart size?

I have been looking all over for something and no one mentions what it is that they are using for the process.

Thanks

Jack Knight1979

cheaper than a 1000.00 dollar head.

what brand machine are you running? The cleaning solution is usually available from the oem in a 500ml bottle for around 100.00.

If you're doing aftermarket ink you can use a the cleaning solution from the bottle.

FatCat

You can get a bottle of Mutoh ultra cleaning solution from Fellers for around $26 for a 250ml bottle. Should last you a long time.

As far a soaking your head many folks have used plain white coffee filters. Just soak one with the cleaning solution, lay it on the capping station and park your head on top. Let it soak for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour and then check. You may get some ink contamination if you leave it soak too long.

kilo15170

i have a question

i just bought a Mutoh Falcon outdoor for really cheap. it has been sitting for the past year and hasn't been ran in that time. i am guessing the heads and lines are dried up. Can i take my heads apart and soak them and clean them to get them up and running? or do i have to buy replacements?

chadarcy

i have a question

i just bought a Mutoh Falcon outdoor for really cheap. it has been sitting for the past year and hasn't been ran in that time. i am guessing the heads and lines are dried up. Can i take my heads apart and soak them and clean them to get them up and running? or do i have to buy replacements?

I just had a long battle with my Falcon outdoor and if you have the time I would recommend trying it. Definitely use the cleaning solvent they are speaking about above. I tried using paint thinner thinking that would work great and it melted my damper connectors on the heads. If it is dried up, I look at it you have nothing to loose and you will learn a lot about the printer trying to get it going.

Very important!!! When removing the heads make sure that you unplug the printer from power source. I also learned this the hard way and blew the head fuses. But then again I learned a lot and now have things setup better for being able to change with fast acting fuses.

One great tool to have and I would almost say a necessary tool is a syringe. Use this to try and pull ink or solvent cleaner through lines ect...
Check all lines going to the head to see if they are dried up by disconecting and pulling with a syringe. Most likely your capping station is going to be plugged in the lines, going from your capping station to the waist tank.

You may be lucky and the person before you may have done a good wash cycle to remove most ink, but chances are you will be plugged up in spots. As far as the heads, I have actually removed them and with a syringe pushed cleaning solution through them to get it about new again. connect the syringe to the damper connector by using a hose the correct size. I have a syringe that actually fits over the connector tightly but is risky as you may break the connector.

Good luck and just ask if you need help.

Chad

artbot

yeah... never get paint thinner or xylenes/xylol near your printer. the head adapter is the "least" solvent resistant part of the printer. horrible little plastic. possibly because the shape can be molded out of a long chain polymer... from what i've seen ketones are the way to go.

also, i've changed my homemade cleaning solution lately to simply butyl carbitol/acetone (4 parts to 6 parts butyl, one part acetone) for those using triangle inks. it is a faaaarrrrr superior mix to anything i've seen yet. the only reason i can imagine that manufacturers don't use only the carbitol instead of mixing in butyl cellosolve is because it cost twice as much. butyl carbitol is about $58 a gallon. it breaks ink down to the absolutely finest silkiest level.

kilo15170

Thanks everyone for the response to my question... I haven't had much time to work on my printer but il keep everyone posted on my progress! Thanks for all the GREAT advice.

fguinand

fggr
Where to buy

yeah... never get paint thinner or xylenes/xylol near your printer. the head adapter is the "least" solvent resistant part of the printer. horrible little plastic. possibly because the shape can be molded out of a long chain polymer... from what i've seen ketones are the way to go.

also, i've changed my homemade cleaning solution lately to simply butyl carbitol/acetone (4 parts to 6 parts butyl, one part acetone) for those using triangle inks. it is a faaaarrrrr superior mix to anything i've seen yet. the only reason i can imagine that manufacturers don't use only the carbitol instead of mixing in butyl cellosolve is because it cost twice as much. butyl carbitol is about $58 a gallon. it breaks ink down to the absolutely finest silkiest level.

Hi Artbot. New here from Caracas. I've been working with dye sub inks. Will the Butyl Carbitol work with these kind of inks? Locally very hard to find in small presentations. I only find a whole barrel which is pretty much. Do you know a store in the US where I can buy a bottle?
My Mutoh RJ900 print head is clogged in some areas and soaking is not working. Could accomplish to clean CMY once but K still clogged. The next soak have clogged the CMY again in some areas. Do you recommend to remove dampers, suction the inks with a hose and syringe and then gently run cleaning or solvent solution through the damper nipples and printhead? Thanks for your advice and nice day. Regards.

quintana711

Dye sub RJ900 sitting with inks for about 1 year

I have an RJ 900 that has been sitting unplugged with inks still in. Does anybody know how hard it is to get this machine back running.
I had bought an roland soljet a couple of years ago in the same state and was able to recover most heads by soaking the heads in solution.
Dont know much about dye sub inks though. any advice or should I just sell? if so how much as is would be good.

Thanks