• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Attaching An Acrylic Sign To A Hollow Core Door.

burgmurk

We supplied a 400x300x10mm acrylic sign to a customer to install themselves. We'd put a few liberal strips of VHB on it and told them to clean the door etc. 6 weeks later it's fallen off, taking the paint with it. So uh, technically the sign didn't fail, the paint did?

We're now trying to figure out how to attach it again (it fell on to carpet and is not damaged) so this wont happen in future. Unfortunately i don't think screws would work? Glue i guess? any ideas?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
If the paint is coming off, glue won't be any better than VHB.
400x300 shouldn't weigh too much. You could try stand offs with a hollow door/wall anchor.

Signchief

If the tape failed glue could also fail. Adding studs to the back of the acrylic would help distribute the weight so the tape would have much less stress but it would depend on the thickness of acrylic.

visual800

if the tape pulled off the paint than put more tape where it pulled it off and stick sign back up

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If the tape failed glue could also fail. Adding studs to the back of the acrylic would help distribute the weight so the tape would have much less stress but it would depend on the thickness of acrylic.

Excuse me there Dr. Physics but the sign weighs what it weighs and the tape has to hold up that much weight no matter what scheme is used in attempt to 'redistribute' this weight.

When you use VHB tape to mount something to, say, a door, keep in mind that the tape doesn't stick to the door. Rather it sticks to whatever is on the door.

If it doesn't have to be a blind mount you could use mirror clips.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Excuse me there Dr. Physics but the sign weighs what it weighs and the tape has to hold up that much weight no matter what scheme is used in attempt to 'redistribute' this weight.

Uh... That's exactly what a stud does. What do you think the purpose of a stud mount is, if not to redistribute sign weight, bob?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Uh... That's exactly what a stud does. What do you think the purpose of a stud mount is, if not to redistribute sign weight, bob?
DUDE. he was replying to the comment about TAPE. Even shows it in his comment. I swear some of you people get on here and just try to start crap without even reading what was said.

DerbyCitySignGuy

DUDE. he was replying to the comment about TAPE. Even shows it in his comment. I swear some of you people get on here and just try to start crap without even reading what was said.

DUDE, I saw that part. The tape has less weight to hold because you REDISTRIBUTE the weight, which is why you use stud mounts when you mount a sign with VHB or silicone. That's the whole point of a stud mount. The two are related.

Reading comprehension, y'all.

shoresigns

Just put it back up with twice as much tape. The paint might be at fault, if it's not adhering well to the door, but more tape would spread out the weight so the paint doesn't have to hold as much.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's see.... there's a myriad of things which could've contributed to this problem of a sign falling off the door.

When adhering one thing to another thing, certain questions should be asked before giving people instructions on hanging their own sign.

Is it a wood or metal door ??
Is the door painted ??
If so, how long ago ??
What kinda paint ??
Was it prepped properly ??

You'll probably get adequate answers, but the real culprit isn't tape vs. glue or pins, but you didn't explain the most important part. If you are adhering anything to a coat of paint, it's the paint you are expecting to hold that sign up, not the glue, tape or door itself. You are relying on a thin coat of paint to hold your sign. Without physical fasteners, this sign was doomed from the gitgo.

Without knowing what's going on somewhere, where you have no control over the circumstances, you did not take proper precautions to prevent this.

We're doing a day-care center inside and out. The guy just called yesterday to get a buncha signs for the doors. I think 3" x 10" x 1/8" thick. I asked him all those same questions and he said, Gene, I'm a contractor, of course I know I did everything right. I sanded them, primed them and gave them two coats of topcoat. I said, good for you, but without a physical fastener on each side, I would not depend on the tape alone..... not a freshly painted wooden door. He opted for decorative brass screws, in addition to the tape.

Marlene

if the door has been painted it very well could be paint with additives so dirt won't stick. those same additives also mean not much else will either. I've talked to 3M about this and they have no real plans to deal with this as each paint company has its own additives. one way we've found to help tell if the paint has additives is to put a piece of masking tape on the paint, press it down then pull it off. if you feel a lot of resistance there's a good chance it will be OK. if it feels like no or very little resistance, then there's a good chance the paint has additives. it isn't an iron clad test but it does help. go with the studs to help take some of the weight

signage

Have the customer strip the paint off the door and have the door painted correctly so that the paint adheres correctly. You only sold them the sign you did not sell them the installation, nor the time to figure out what the problem is. Time is money, if they didn't want to pay you to install it then the problem is theirs! EoS

shoresigns

If you want to cover your ass for next time this happens, write up an instruction sheet to give to customers who are DIY installing their sign, including how to clean/prep the installation surface.

MikePro

visible mounting hardware?
hollow door anchors, with instructions on how to drill holes into acrylic without cracking

invisible mounting hardware?
hollow door anchor + acrylic block, 2-4 of them, depending on size. install blocks, mount sign to blocks with vhb tape.

naysayers, chill please. client installation means butt is covered, regardless. he's just scratching head, in hopes of offering good customer service...which sometimes needs no additional payment &/or finger-pointing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
DUDE, I saw that part. The tape has less weight to hold because you REDISTRIBUTE the weight, which is why you use stud mounts when you mount a sign with VHB or silicone. That's the whole point of a stud mount. The two are related...

If you mean by 'stud mount' that you're putting some sort of projection on the back of the sign and then fitting these projections into holes punched into the surface then fine, the projections take the weight. But if you're not doing something like this then the sign still weighs what it weighs, perhaps more due to any projection you might have added. That being the case there is no way to 'redistribute' the weight of the sign. It still weighs what it weighs and all the weight, no matter how it's distributed is pushing down. To the floor. The only thing defying gravity is the tape.

I have no idea where this strike-through is coming form.Perhaps the typing gods are angry.

equippaint

Why not just scrape off a couple sections of the paint behind the sign that didnt adhere right and put the tape on those spots? You're not building an airplane here. If it falls off again then screw it to the door.

Billct2

Since it took the paint with it, it's probably not the usual suspect - scrubbable paint. The door wasn't painted properly.
So you have two options, screw it to the door, or remove some of the paint behind the sign. That could easily be done by lightly
marking the outline of the sign, sanding about an inch in from the edge, just enough to get some of the wood showing, don't have to
remove all the paint, wipe clean and reinstall.