• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help converting plt files...

DecadentDesign

I was working at a sign shop using omega composer but have since parted ways. I have access to other plotters, but not the software and need to at least convert some files. I posted them at mediafire.com...

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/g1c6zjcoxl8la/Group1

Worse case scenario I need the four smaller files, but if someone has the patience to upload and convert 'mosc dt pu.plt' or the 'vehicle numbers.plt' it would be extremely helpful. I need to dig through those and get them cleaned up.

Ai, eps, or pdf file types would work. Just need to get this job going and I don't want to have to go and recreate and remeasure everything. Should have saved alternative files types but just never thought it would be necessary. Tried using various conversion software but I'm guessing that plt files from cad based software is different than Composer. I have a version of Flexi too, but that didn't work either.

My e-mail is david@decadentdesign.net - e-mail the files there or send me a link.

Thanks,
David

J Hill Designs

I'll take a stab at it - will need a few mins to dl the files

edit: nope, my omega is too old. yes...too old to begin the training..

Drip Dry

So, are you saying you worked for another sign shop and took your boss's files with you
Or... you were working at another sign shop and was using your boss's equipment and software to do your own side jobs

Either way, doesn't seem right

Marlene

have to ask but you said you worked in a sign shop that had Omega and then parted ways, why do you have Omega files that you want to cut on a plotter? did you make them while working at the shop? you must have as how else would you have them. just asking as it sounds like you took some work when you left and and now selling it using another plotter? just sounds really wrong to me as anything created at the shop you worked at belongs to that shop. sure hope that I read this all wrong

DecadentDesign

Guess I have to say wow back at all y'all that seem to want to presume the worst and take some ethical point of view when you have no clue what you are talking about.

I took a job a little over year ago for a shop with the understanding that I could have and work on my own jobs. This project actually was something I was working on prior to taking said job and it wasn't a problem until recently when I wasn't getting paid regularly and I was forced to quit. Being owed $1200+ for hours and materials that I never received I really don't want to even have to humor that discussion because there are a lot of shops out there willing and looking to take advantage of everyone they can. I just want to save myself some time... And get past that really bad experience...

I designed all my work in Illustrator/Photoshop but worked out the measurements using composer because that's what I needed to use to cut everything. Incidentally, I found this customer via a Craigslist ad that they listed. Anyway, if no one is willing to help out, I have the raw files and will just have to go out and remeasure everything and waste a bunch of additional time. I'd rather not have to...

So if someone would like to help, then I am grateful! If you are paranoid and over-worried about your own situation, then I apologize, but don't waste my time whining! If I was playing a game I'd like to think I'd be smart enough to have made up a story to convince you of whatever it is you need to be convinced of. I just have personal work that was agreed upon before I started working for that shop and had I realized he was going to, well, f*@! me, I would have at least covered my *** and had alternative files saved.

Thanks to those who understand the rest can just mind their own business. Not interested in discussing my integrity when I know I am right in this.

For those who want to check out what can be done with vinyl, I make pop art and would do so full time if it paid - here's my etsy page -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/davidkdecadentdesign

Some prints are on there too. Some of my best work has long been sold but if interested I can send links to older work...

DK

binki

corel can import or open a plt file but it will be a bunch of lines. very painful to connect them all.

WildWestDesigns

Inkscape can also import PLT files as well. Although I would imagine that it would also be fun to connect all the lines in that program as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm with you, Pat. :thumb:

It gets so tiring reading this crap about how someone was so taken advantage of and left to die and they only want what they figure they are entitled to no matter how it looks. They always have extenuating circumstances.

Once, just once, I'd love to hear the other person's point of view.

:ROFLMAO: Then, they go on to say if they wanted to lie, they know how to do it and could get away with it. Guess we just sharpened their senses a bit.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
okay.
so i worked with omega files for twenty years. i "buy" my own whatever during this time, and life moves on i get another job, business or whatever.
fast forward to last week. i come across them and want more. however i don't have the program, (See obvious reason above..) and ask a forum for help.
this is the response i would see if i asked? i easily have the same issuse. Funny thing is, where i made them IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS.
is that excuse legit?
yes it is. google "Fastsigns" framingham, ma.

i am getting tired of read snarky posts or half assed remarks about a situation that YOU the reader were asked for HELP on.
you clearly don't know the entire story, the poster isn't going to tell you his life story leading up to the question because, we
are TOO BUSY trying to afford our lives and so forth.

for those who are critical, you need to look up the def. of "Assumption"

wanna judge something? go yell at a politician. not the little guys.
they are the only friends we have left.

peace.
-Mosh

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
okay.
so i worked with omega files for twenty years. i "buy" my own whatever during this time, and life moves on i get another job, business or whatever.
fast forward to last week. i come across them and want more. however i don't have the program, (See obvious reason above..) and ask a forum for help.
this is the response i would see if i asked? i easily have the same issuse. Funny thing is, where i made them IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS.
is that excuse legit?

i am getting tired of read snarky posts or half assed remarks about a situation that YOU the reader were asked for HELP on.
you clearly don't know the entire story, the poster isn't going to tell you his life story leading up to the question because, we

peace.
-Mosh

I see your point of view and agree that most of the replies in this thread are making assumptions. OTOH, what we have is a new member requesting assistance in what is obviously an out of the ordinary situation. One can assume that he is an honest, hard working guy and help him out. Or one can assume that he's up to something unethical and possibly illegal. Or one can realize that either could be the case because we don't have enough information to know either way. I read the OP's opening post and immediately decided that I would be on shaky ground if I helped him and deferred a decision until I knew more. The OP's followup post convinced me to remain uninvolved based on the demonstrated attitude.

The sad fact is that a significant portion of our population is less honest and less ethical than only a small amount of time ago. The OP could have served himself well by offering anything that would have established his credentials before asking for anyone to assist him in what could obviously be an illegal act. The OP may have every right to the files he wants help converting or he may be asking for help that will result in a different owner suffering a financial loss. I simply don't know but I wouldn't lend a stranger a crowbar either if there was a chance he planned to use it for a burglary. There are times for trust and benefit of the doubt ... and there are times to suspend them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
okay.
is that excuse legit?

peace.
-Mosh

Now, who's making the "ASSUMPTION" ??

We're discussing the OP in this thread, not your life history. This guy comes here out of the blue, no credentials, no profile, no nothing and tells half a story which after listening to it, could quite well be true, but it happens so often that you want the rest of us to believe each and every sad story event and just look the other way ?? Most of us weren't born yesterday and we need re-assurance sometimes. I've had people on my payroll who did things on the side, but they also took things which didn't belong to them when they left, whether by my doing or their own doings or should I say mis-doings. Once you've been around the block a few times, you tend not to take everyone just at their word. Fred says it wasn't this way here a short while ago, heck, the whole world is in the same shoes. Ya never know who you can trust anymore when one doesn't have sufficient background on going for them.

round man

without thinking

besides the obvious composer software flexi-sign 8,....signlab 7,...will import the gerber plot format and save and or export the aforementioned files into a usable format,...

on another note,....not pointing fingers here but there are some very insecure people here who tend to see the worst in alot of situations and voice their opinions in a negative judgmental way,....accusing folks of being guilty of things they are not,... before any explanations have had a chance to be given,...takes me back to the days when those same type insecure sign people would complain that the local hardware would sell brushes and paint to anyone and the chance snapper going thru town was gonna steal food off their table because they held the attitude they "owned" all the local trade

John Butto

This is a good laugh thread.
You get the OP wanting file conversion. Someone criticizes him for that. Then the OP criticizes the guy for assuming the worse of him. Then we get some more criticism. Finally someone explains why people criticized him and lastly we get a criticize post of criticizers. Hold on, someone is knocking at the door.