• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with shadow

I am lettering a truck trying to match the other door. The shadow is going to the bottom left. But my shadow is going to the bottom right, how do I make the shadow go the other way? THANKS

Stormyj

Just another guy
That sir, is one of the vaguest questions Ive ever heard. You will have to be more descriptive than that. Are you talking about software layout? On truck? More info needed.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am lettering a truck trying to match the other door. The shadow is going to the bottom left. But my shadow is going to the bottom right, how do I make the shadow go the other way? THANKS

• Double click the shadow and click on the shadow effect to enter the Smart Edit dialog.
  • Add an appropriate amount (in my example it is 90*° to change from -135° to -45°) from the amount shown in the Angle box.
shadow1.jpg shadow2.jpg shadow3.jpg shadow4.jpg

OldPaint

1st off.........what program are you trying to do this in??? WE ALL DONT KNOW.......if its in corel.......i can tell ya how.....if its in winplot good luck..

Marlene

1st off.........what program are you trying to do this in??? WE ALL DONT KNOW.......if its in corel.......i can tell ya how.....if its in winplot good luck..

it's under the Gerber section so one can assume it is Gerber...

Fred posted the a really good "how to" and that's about all there is to it, good luck

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
  • Double click the shadow and click on the shadow effect to enter the Smart Edit dialog.
  • Add an appropriate amount (in my example it is 90*° to change from -135° to -45°) from the amount shown in the Angle box.
View attachment 98577 View attachment 98578 View attachment 98579 View attachment 98580

I wish Adobe would add this tool to Illustrator

And before everyone chimes in about the 3d extrude tool in Illustrator... it is not the same and does not generate clean shade shadows like this. A drop is easy, shade not so

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I wish Adobe would add this tool to Illustrator

And before everyone chimes in about the 3d extrude tool in Illustrator... it is not the same and does not generate clean shade shadows like this. A drop is easy, shade not so

I would imagine that one could write an Action for Illustrator that would get the desired steps in including entering the outline thickness and the shadow distance and angle.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I would imagine that one could write an Action for Illustrator that would get the desired steps in including entering the outline thickness and the shadow distance and angle.

yeah but what about connecting the corners with the proper straight line? Not too much work on a sans font or only a few letters but doing this with a serifed or heavily detailed font is very time consuming. If the engineers at Gerber can do it, so can Adobe