• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from NC

hightop

Wow! Lots of kind welcomes here, and from all over the country! Several in my "neck of the woods", too. I've been snooping around the site and there is a wealth of great information and experience here!

@SignExpert-Tim - I will scan a few pages of the book and post them It is well-worn and missing the cover, so I am not sure I can say exactly what book it is. I'll get it out and see what specifics I can find. It's a really COOL book

hightop

I managed to haul my lazy self upstairs (long day in the office) and found Grandpa's old Speedball text book. It has been so long since I looked at the book, I didn't remember that is what it is. Hope I didn't mislead anyone about what I have. While the book was written for pens, it refers to using the same techniques with a brush for posters and signs. Pictures are attached. More to follow.

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • scan0002.pdf
    882.5 KB · Views: 116

Fitch

That book is a GOLDMINE !!!!!!!!!!!

Read it then read it again and when you have read it a dozen times... read it again.

You will be surprised at how much it will aid you in doing what you will possibly want to do in the future.

The basis of everything in signs is good design.

Nothing else.

Anyone can cut, plot, mask, install etc. These are motions that anyone can learn.

Design is what will set you apart.

Welcome from Sydney, Australia.

hightop

Hi Fitch,

Thanks for the welcome! And, thanks for verifying that Grandpa's book is valuable. It has always been special to me just because it was his. I suspect I wore the cover off when I was younger trying to draw the letters in the book. I will treasure it even more, now! :smile:

d fleming

Got a few old books myslef, the one you have posted is great! When I was in school they were still teaching hand lettering, fashion illustration and work in pen and ink. Amazing how far ahead technology is now but how much the basics are still the basics. Giving a student a computer and not teaching basic skills first is akin to handing someone a calculator that can't do long division on paper. Sure they'll get there, but they will never have the understanding and appreciation for what the tools of today actually do for them in the blink of an eye. You are off to a great start. Welcome.

hightop

You're right. Computers are okay for crunching data but nothing really replaces the art that hand letter creates! Even if ever letter is "PERFECT", the human touch comes through.