• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horrifying and stuck on this logo

Stacey K

I like making signs
We are getting closer to the final product. It's attached, needs a few adjustments yet which I will do Monday before I send for final approval.

1. I gave a few different design options which had the name increased, he did agree on increasing it slightly, which was a win!
2. I threw one in there that was distressed, he loved it except it was too distressed for him so I had to remove some. This brings it down to a one color ink press on a cream shirt.

Not exactly the way I would have liked to see it but at least I got the font increased and ditched the leather. Customer loves it so that's what is important!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 254

MikePro

i'd ask him to provide an example of what his "leather or brass effect" appears like in a 2color tshirt print.
I know what leather looks like, and brass too, but feel like applying that to a screenprint would be impossible without the shading effects of additional colors or a halftone.

edited to add: LOVE the distressed option, and the fact that its now a 1 color screenprint.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just so you know, what he wants is a belt buckle image. A very common thing among people dealing with cattle. The sketch with what you call 'wrinkles' most likely is trying to show a domed silver face. Maybe with some hammer marks on it. Or maybe a leather texture background. Buckles in this shape can be had either way.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, bob he did but I get the feeling they are cheap and that's why they jumped on the one color distressed design. Now he doesn't want it distressed either. Reason is he wants it to last as long as possible and it will distress itself. I found that peculiar....but...1 hour 38 minutes of my time spent this morning for a 29 piece apparel order. They only wanted to order 12 tshirts -- hoodies down the road. I said, that's not how it works, there's minimums. The original estimate was for quite a bit more than that and Carhartts, etc. hence why I spent more time than normal this morning. They each ordered 2 gildan tshirts and 1 cheap hoodie because instead of getting 5, one for each day, they will do laundry..."so how long will these shirts last?" (mind reverts back to original comment about distressing) I got a little pissy and finally told them we need to wrap this up, I have other work to finished up.

Each day is full of surprises. Thank goodness I charge enough for logo design and set-up fees for apparel! GEESH

DAVID MARSHALL

This may sound a little "No soup for you," but we have a reputation for getting our designs right in terms of both performance and aesthetics. About ten years ago, a first time customer came to us with artwork that was as ugly as a dead frog in a bowl of punch and insisted that the finished car needed to look exactly like that. We did the job just as we were asked and it was indeed a shocker. Inevitably the customer was asked who was responsible and his simple answer was that we were, without of course explaining that the design was his idea. Our reputation took a battering that took years to recover from. Now, with jobs like this, our designers are just too busy to help. Lesson learned.

rossmosh

Here's how you handle it.

You design a full color, for print logo and web. Then you simplify it down to 2 colors, for engraving/carving/screenprinting.

This is incredibly common in the corporate world or when doing brand design / guidelines.

EDIT: Also if the order changes, so does your invoice. If someone walks in with a $1000 order, you might forgo getting paid for some simple design work. If it changes to a $300 job, you need to adjust the invoice to match.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Here's how you handle it.

You design a full color, for print logo and web. Then you simplify it down to 2 colors, for engraving/carving/screenprinting.

This is incredibly common in the corporate world or when doing brand design / guidelines.

EDIT: Also if the order changes, so does your invoice. If someone walks in with a $1000 order, you might forgo getting paid for some simple design work. If it changes to a $300 job, you need to adjust the invoice to match.
I don't know what planet you live on! If I "adjust" my invoices I'll likely just find myself in small claims court.

Stacey K

I like making signs
two color, quick lunchtime sketch
I love this! I only WISH he would be interested. Has to be a skull, not a live animal. I had suggested he take a photo of one of his best steer and I could vectorize it. I've done that for a deer mount and 2 live cows...it really adds a nice touch of customization and a little something for the customer to brag about. "That's my Bessie in the logo" - kinda cool I think.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If Jillbeans was still here, she'd simply say.......... Ya can't polish a turd. :noway:

rossmosh

I don't know what planet you live on! If I "adjust" my invoices I'll likely just find myself in small claims court.

I live on the planet earth. If a customer says "I want 100 signs. How much is it?" and you say "$50 each. $5000 total" and then they say, "Oh, well I only want 25 signs." You adjust the invoice to say 25 pcs @ $85 each with a $100 art charge.

I'm baffled why you find this complex.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
'drawing', and 'exactly' are contradictions, when talking of a belt buckle.
That tells you it is only his pencilled rendition, and gives you scope to fix or improve legibility etc.

It also sounds like you need to spend a bit of time learning about printing halftones, for your own knowledge & experience. There IS a learning curve - enjoy it!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I live on the planet earth. If a customer says "I want 100 signs. How much is it?" and you say "$50 each. $5000 total" and then they say, "Oh, well I only want 25 signs." You adjust the invoice to say 25 pcs @ $85 each with a $100 art charge.

I'm baffled why you find this complex.
I was referring to quoting the customer one price, than invoicing for another. If you tell them up front it's cool.