• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I get back into the Sign Community

Signstein

Good morning, I posted this a couple weeks ago in the newbie help forum but didn't receive any views or replies. Apologies for trying again but I think this forum may yield some good results and help point me in the right direction.
I'm seeking advice on the best ways to re-engage with the sign industry. I've been making signs for over 15 years but for the past 6 years I've been mostly isolated from what's going on out in the real world. I work in a small shop at a theme park, so I'm exposed to very little beyond the next new event or attraction. We don't get visits from company reps, we don't experiment with new or different media, we don't invest in new tools, equipment or technology, and we don't attend seminars, tradeshows or otherwise practice any type of continued education. I'm coming to realize that my continued growth in this industry is going to be solely my own responsibility. I want to keep learning, to try new things, to develop new skills. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Signing up to this forum is a first step for me. Are there online courses I can take? Are there accreditation programs to enroll in? I'm sure tradeshows are cancelled for the foreseeable future. What other ways are there for me to get back in touch with the industry?
Thanks for any insights or suggestions!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, ya need a goal or a mission in mind. What do you wanna target ?? Digital printing, application, designing, fabricating, electrical, welding, installation, be it digging holes or working outta bucket trucks, hand-painting, screen printing or sales ??

That's like saying you wanna race. Duh, in what ?? Cars, horses, dogs, foot, to the moon, go-carts, midgets, jets..........

Reveal1

This may not be what you want to hear, but you might consider a job change. If the place you work offers no personal growth, doesn't experiment with new processes, education or equipment, and is confined to doing work internally, I wouldn't want to work there. Get a job at a larger growing shop that does a variety of creative work. Work your tail off and show initiative. You have the desire to improve yourself and apparently recognize its up to you to take responsibility to change it. I admire that, but you'll need to take a few risks, maybe get knocked around a bit and get out of your comfort zone.

Johnny Best

Get some sign publications such as Sign of the Times, Big Picture, there are many more, and start reading up of new things and contact suppliers in mags about products and samples. Good luck in your learning.

Signstein

Thank you for the replies! I guess I don't have a specific target - but I would want to learn more about the growing segments in the industry. The one thing I do enjoy about where I am now is the blend of analog and digital. I have degree in fine art and started making signs just before the era of digital printing, so I have a good foundation in both doing things by hand and with computers. And thanks for the tough advice about changing jobs. It's good to hear, and it is something I'm definitely open to. Is it advisable to visit local shops and just introduce myself? Not in a 'looking for job' sense but in more of personal networking kind of way?

Z SIGNS

Just jump in and do it. Make signs, practice making signs, draw signs, sell signs. Live and breathe signs.

Billct2

I get what you're asking and that the job you have is enjoyable because it must have a lot of variety. Nothing wrong with old school skills and methods but It's good to keep up with new materials and methods. I agree with subscribing to a few of the sign mags, Signs of the Times, SignCraft, Sign Builder This place is great for asking questions about methods and materials as long as you craft your question well.

Signstein

Thanks! Just subscribed to Signs of the Times and registered for the virtual ISA Sign Expo. These look to both be good resources for current info and news. Do any of you have thoughts on visiting local shops? I'm technically not a competitor, so would other shop owners be open to that sort of thing? I could offer to help in the event they ever need an extra set of hands for some oddball big project. Or offer to volunteer in some sort of way?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just coming in and helping out can sometimes be a problem concerning paperwork and legalities. What would happen if you chopped a digit or hand off doing something dumb ?? Y'all get in trouble, but you'd be the real loser. What is your strong suit ?? Can't just say you have a degree in fine arts, cause for the most part, nobody really needs a picture of fruit on a table or a ship at sea painted by hand. What basics are you up on ?? Do yu know the fundamentals of sign making and it's components ?? Knowing light direction, casting shadows and the color wheel are helpful, but with these computers...... not always all that necessary. Sometimes, these 'puters can do more than a knowledgeable person........ sometimes.

Stacey K

I like making signs
And check this site every day and just click on posts that might interest you and follow them. Many of the posts on here don't apply to me but I like reading the answers to see what is going on with others. Lots of tips and tricks on here that we can all use in the future.