• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I remove CLEAR COAT.??

decalman

I got a potential client that needs some graphics on their Fiberglass RV.
Problem is, there's clear coat on the whole thing. Some places it is scaling bad.

Is it a monster pain getting it off? :confused:
If so, I'll turn away. :oops:

I forgot to mention:
There's No paint on surface. Just white fiberglass. It cannot be sanded without leaving weird uneven surface looks.

Attachments

• 20200520_110304.jpg
    20200520_110304.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
  • 20200520_110248.jpg
    20200520_110248.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We've had customers sand the area clean, bring it back to us to apply the graphics then clear coat over it. As long as the boat was just white.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
If your able bodied.... like I was some time ago... and you have the facilities, raise the price to some astronomical price, tell the customer they may not see their boat till winter... if you get the job, you win! If not, you win!
Work on it at your leisure. Send it out to get repainted, because that's what you told him you would do, letter it, have it done in half the time, and collect!
Hopefully the price you set is high enough he buggers off.

rjssigns

I work with a local truck repair shop that does custom work from time to time. Guy stops in with his motorhome, wants them to "just get rid of the green stripes". They bid the job doing it the right way. Coach still has the stripes. "Just removing the stripes" came in a tic under 10 grand.

decalman

I work with a local truck repair shop that does custom work from time to time. Guy stops in with his motorhome, wants them to "just get rid of the green stripes". They bid the job doing it the right way. Coach still has the stripes. "Just removing the stripes" came in a tic under 10 grand.
10 k for removing stripes on RV ? No way.... unless it was on painted fiberglass.
That's 7x the labor, as opposed unpainted fiberglass

rjssigns

10 k for removing stripes on RV ? No way.... unless it was on painted fiberglass.

Okay, no point in trying to help. Sounds like you got it dialed. Let us know how it turns out there boss man.;)

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Billct2

Unpainted fiberglass still has a clear gel coat, which has failed. So the solution is to either have the whole thing redone or painted. Either way it's not cheap.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You sure its clear coat? It would only have clear if its full body paint or has been re-painted over the gelcoat. Gelcoat is sprayed into the mold and glass is layed up over it. The finishest part comes out of the mold as a finished surface, they dont clear it.

rjssigns

How creepy and abusive. I was just trying to offer some advice and you lash out calling myself and my friends at the paint shop liars. Nice.

decalman

How creepy and abusive. I was just trying to offer some advice and you lash out calling myself and my friends at the paint shop liars. Nice.

My response to your reply wasn't at all hostile. I said, pretty much, that 10k is out of line for that work, unless it's on painted fiberglass. You want to take it to a hostile level, and Accuse me of calling you a liar ~ Doust protest too much.

Your negativity leads me to conclude that your on drugs or something. Drinking? I dunno. That's your business.

Well balanced, normal people, respect others.
I'm on other forums, were I've exchanged tens of thousands of comments, dealing with sensitive subjects, such as politics and religion, and rarely come across such. pugnacious opposition . In this case, over absolutely nothing.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My response to your reply wasn't at all hostile. I said, pretty much, that 10k is out of line for that work, unless it's on painted fiberglass. You want to take it to a hostile level, and Accuse me of calling you a liar ~ Doust protest too much.

Your negativity leads me to conclude that your on drugs or something. Drinking? I dunno. That's your business.

I'm on other forums, were I've exchanged tens of thousands of comments, dealing with sensitive subjects, such as politics and religion, and rarely come across such. pugnacious opposition . In this case, over absolutely nothing.

Welcome to S101. You'll fit right in with the other lunatics.

unclebun

Perhaps you spend too much time on internet forums.

The person you were arguing with offered an example similar to the one you originally asked about. Customer comes in wanting a cheap fix to what he thinks is a "simple" problem. After all, it's just stickers, and they're cheap. But the real problem is much more extensive. It requires refinishing the whole vehicle. Which would have cost $10,000.

You came back with a response that his example was way off base, implying you knew better than he, and were blowing him off as not knowing what he was talking about.

He left the argument saying that if you knew better, you would be fine doing whatever you were going to do and he wasn't going to waste any more breath (finger taps?) on you.

You got butt-hurt and said he was creepy.

Nowhere was he being pugnacious. He was just telling you that if you didn't want his opinion, he wasn't going to help.

decalman

The person you were arguing with offered an example similar to the one you originally asked about. Customer comes in wanting a cheap fix to what he thinks is a "simple" problem. After all, it's just stickers, and they're cheap. But the real problem is much more extensive. It requires refinishing the whole vehicle. Which would have cost $10,000.

You came back with a response that his example was way off base, implying you knew better than he, and were blowing him off as not knowing what he was talking about.

He left the argument saying that if you knew better, you would be fine doing whatever you were going to do and he wasn't going to waste any more breath (finger taps?) on you.

Nowhere was he being pugnacious. He was just telling you that if you didn't want his opinion, he wasn't going to help.

W.

Yikes! How abusive you are,
Your response is so creepy.

Your problem. Not mine.
Oh

Last edited:

decalman

Thanks for the wisdom, Nimrod.
I think probation officer is looking for you.
Pishy test .

Who's next?
Take a number!

decalman

You sure its clear coat? It would only have clear if its full body paint or has been re-painted over the gelcoat. Gelcoat is sprayed into the mold and glass is layed up over it. The finishest part comes out of the mold as a finished surface, they dont clear it.
I think someone did clear coat it.
This isn't my forte.