• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long have you been in the Sign Business?

TheSnowman

We should make this a poll, it'd be easier. But 3 - 5 here. My business has been in business since 1981, but I bought it four years ago from my grandparents.

parrott

Our company celebrates it's 77th year next month. My grandfather started the company in 1932 as a sign painter and moved in to silk screening. I am the 3rd generation and have been around the shop my whole life, but I only count 3 of those years being really hands on.

SignManiac

This year I'm coming up on 36 years full time. I'm a self taught newbie and I'm S.O.H.K. (School of Hard Knocks) certified.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

30 long but satisfying years. IF I were elected King of the World however, I'd outlaw vinyl and decree a return to hand painted signs. I'd appoint Jill Duchess of Pennsylvania. I am looking forward to my exit from this work however and a life of debauchery/leisure.

Browner

It will be 10 years in November that I've been doing this for myself. Before that, I worked for another sign company for 3 years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A lo-o-o-ng time. Went to work at a sign shop in 1971-72, although I had been doing signs a little while in school and college.

Thanks for reminding me.................... :frustrated:

Jillbeans

Thanks Arlo!
And Parrot, that is very cool.

Me?
I have been in the biz 24 years, 99% self taught mostly by trial and error.
I did got to art school six months back in 80-81.
Started out by hand, got a computer in 98, started learning Corel in '05.
Still learn something new every day and love my job most of the time.
Even if I whine a lot.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Started in July 1975
That fall went to St.Paul Voc. Tec. for signs ..been at it ever since,
Came here to Orlando 1n 1985, then PCs and cutting machines started selling like ice cream on a summer day, ..prices started falling like rocks in water
Last couple years been slowly learning Coreldraw X3
Last week just got a cheap chinnize cutter.. new book opens up for me