• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many of you could leave your shop behind for at least a month and not have any issues?

Signarama Jockey

Jeeze, do you people realize how toxic you are? Honestly, so many of you are just terrible people.

I don't know who this guy is, and I can't verify his numbers, but I can verify is that you all are portraying yourselves as bitter, insecure failures who are mad that someone else doing better than you have. Rather than explore his method so you can benefit from it, you deny and insult and get angry. He hit it dead on when he said:

To you guys that are trolling - is the reason this upsets you because you've dedicated 20+ years to the sign industry and you don't like to see that somebody who knew nothing about the industry 6 years ago, built something larger than you have in an industry you've devoted your entire career to?

I'm sure it stings for me to be that blunt, but I don't get the jealousy/hate vs being happy that a fellow sign guy made it... I'd be celebrating this (and do) if I was talking to somebody else sharing a story like this, not angry or saying they must be lying.

"Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert Heinlein

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Toxic .... That's the word college girls use to describe their abusive boyfriend relationship. Next he will say gaslighting...and Gino will light his fart on fire.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this thread has certainly taken a big turn. What started out as questions and answers has become, who can intelligently insult the other guy ?? What'syour is telling us a story and whether you believe it or not is up to you. signjockey is like a pimple on an elephant's @ss. The rest of you are just debating/arguing from what is being written by the OP.

To me, it seems far-fetched, but what do I know ?? I'm not there. I don't know this fellow. I have no clue if this is someone who has come back to haunt us or just rattle everyone's brain. It's ne of those quoestions from the heavens...... no, from Hell is more like it. May I suggest everyone tuning back into the normalcy here at s101 and let this thread drop. That's about the only way to shut this guy up. He's super successful and why he takes the time to do all this is beyond me.

Good luck and for all the future people who wanna know if this is possible like the OP says, read carefully, cause this guy is talking out both sides of his mouth...... no two ways about it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Jeeze, do you people realize how toxic you are? Honestly, so many of you are just terrible people.

I don't know who this guy is, and I can't verify his numbers, but I can verify is that you all are portraying yourselves as bitter, insecure failures who are mad that someone else doing better than you have. Rather than explore his method so you can benefit from it, you deny and insult and get angry. He hit it dead on when he said:

"Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert Heinlein
Jealous of what? The only insecure one here is the guy who makes up an I told you so story thinking people are going to envy him.

Johnny Best

went and got my toxic gear on.

Attachments

• toxic.jpg
    toxic.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

WhatsYourSign?

Since math and business aren't some of your strong suits, here's a screenshot directly from our ShopVOX dashboard that shows our Q1 numbers (and shows how new sales can be higher than invoices... That's a good thing, it means we are growing our pipeline and have bigger months on the horizon).

Screenshot_20240411_192439_Edge.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Since math and business aren't some of your strong suits, here's a screenshot directly from our ShopVOX dashboard that shows our Q1 numbers (and shows how new sales can be higher than invoices... That's a good thing, it means we are growing our pipeline and have bigger months on the horizon).

View attachment 170780
Dude, are you dense? What part of sales is revenue do you not understand? I have a bachelor's degree in business and you're telling me to go take classes, what do you got besides a thick skull and light shining through your ears?
I know you were expecting everyone to ooo and ahhh at you but nobody cares what your numbers are. They look decent, does that make you feel better? I mean, that's what you're here fishing for?

WhatsYourSign?

Dude, are you dense? What part of sales is revenue do you not understand? I have a bachelor's degree in business and you're telling me to go take classes, what do you got besides a thick skull and light shining through your ears?
I know you were expecting everyone to ooo and ahhh at you but nobody cares what your numbers are. They look decent, does that make you feel better? I mean, that's what you're here fishing for?
I don't need an applause, just showing they're real since you seem to think they're made up.

Sales orders are not revenue. A sales order does not become revenue until the job has been finished and invoiced.

It's even the way it is setup in ShopVOX (which is also why I showed the screenshot... Since you guys don't understand the difference between sales and revenue).

WhatsYourSign?

I'm going to circle back here and offer a bit more clarity on what I think is actually important in all of this.

All of us are making money. Some of you are making more money than me I'm sure (and that's awesome).

It's not the money I think we should be celebrating.

I think we should be celebrating that the sign industry IS an industry where you can build a true business that runs itself and is worth more than just the value of the assets you acquire along the way.

5 years ago you (and a bunch of others in this thread) said it couldn't be done and you said I was a fool for even thinking it could be when I only had 16 months in the industry at the time.

But I used that as motivation (one of many) and yesterday as I was returning from a month of cruises and getting ready to attend ISA, it dawned on me that I had just done what a bunch of people once told me wasn't possible in the sign industry.

And I came back here to share this with you guys. Maybe there's some gloating/pride in me returning to share this with you guys, but more than that, I know that someday another young entrepreneur is going to ask themselves this same question about the sign industry, and they're going to find this thread and see that it IS possible, if they put in the work.

So yes, I think that is worth celebrating. I don't think that I should be celebrated, but I think it should be celebrated that freedom is possible in the sign industry as that's always been my reason for doing this (the money is just a byproduct of that)...I wanted to build a business that could support itself so I could be as present and active as possible in the lives of my kids while they're still young (and fortunately, at 9 and 7, they still are).

And I've done that. I'm taking them on trips, I'm coaching their sports teams year round, I'm going on their field trips and attending their concerts. Everything I can do to be a good dad, I'm doing.

That's the ultimate win for me on a personal level, and I don't need you guys to celebrate that...I celebrate it every morning when I drop them off at school and see their smiling faces.

I'm sorry if me resurrecting this thread ruffled some feathers... Maybe that's a good thing. Sometimes the status quo needs to be shaken up and the swamp needs to be drained in the name of progress so people can see what's possible.

Good luck fellas...I hope you all achieve whatever success looks like for you.

I'm rooting for all of y'all (even if you are a bunch of grumpy old men).

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Good job doing the impossible. Hopefully that's a long term success for you. Some of us have been there and gave you warnings about people going off on their own. Hopefully you get some good years out of your winning team and things go well for you. You're probably a little older than me. Your terminology and understanding of numbers need a lot of work... Most people in this industry enjoy working... making things and putting them on display for everyone to see... so you're idea of what an owner looks like doesn't match 99% of other sign owner. Follow up in 5 years and let us know how it's going.