• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How not to get the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
not everyone is going to agree with your position just because you want them to.

doesn't even seem like there is another side to the story, you just don't get there 5 minutes late YOUR SECOND crack at it.

I would have given him a f'n royal f'n up and down as soon as he walked in and given him a real reason to flip me off.....

the guy can't manage time day one what makes you think he's worth a chit day two???

Jillbeans

Thank God he showed his true colors.
Can you imagine if he would actually have been hired?
I can see his knowing just how to milk the system, lawsuits, all kinds of headaches.
Good riddance to him.
There can sometimes be a valid excuse for lateness but NEVER rudeness in that situation.
Love.....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're out there and they're multiplying as we speak.

I had a guy one time get the job and due to his prior schedule, couldn't be here the first two or three days full time. He had some commitments and I totally understood.

The first day he was there about three hours. It was late Spring and somewhat warm, but this guy wore a heavy pea coat and woolen hat the whole time. He did his work and then had to leave. I never really looked at what he did, at this point.
The next day, he came in with the same chit on and didn't take anything off while he was working.... about 3.5 hours again. With his somewhat strange habits, I looked at the files he was working on and to be honest.... I didn't see any real work being done.
I didn't mention, but this guy didn't say a word.... nothing, nada, not a frickin' sound the first two partial days.
The third day, he came in and I gave him his stuff to work on and he went to work. About 3 hours in, I went to him and asked him if he'd be more comfortable taking his coat and hat off..... he just shrugged and indicated no by shaking his head back and forth. I finally looked at what he was doing and asked him a question about what he was doing. Kinda like your buddy, Bigdawg..... he opened up on me and said... I'm not afraid of you. You think I'm afraid of you and you don't know it, but I can kick your F'in ass. You're afraid of me, I know you are. I'm gonna get you and you don't know when. I said, do you want to leave now or is there something you're not telling me about this job ?? He left making all kinds of threats, but nothing ever happened.... at least not to date and that was about 10 years ago. A good employee was there whose now retired, but we still talk about the guy who only lasted 9.5 hours and never took his coat off.

After almost 40 years in this business, I can tell you stories that will make you laugh your ass off and some that will make you cry. I've just had so many, I don't remember them until something triggers one of them. :popcorn:

It's good this guy showed his real colors before you gave him a job.... kinda explains why he's out looking for a job. :goodpost:

S

SignTech

Sounds like someone had a bad experience recently with his boss :x

lol what an idiot ........... I do not have a boss lmao ........... what it sounds like is .... what it sounds like ...... most "bosses" ... should not even be in the position they're in. But that's another issues all together ...

I'm one of those tell it like it is people ...... what get's discussed around the water cooler ......... I just discuss openly ... while the "bosses" think they are being loved lol ........ there are those that understand my position, and those that love to hate me ........ which is fine by me.

There is/was more to the original OP story. And that's my stance. ;)

jmb474

It might just be me but if I knew I had trouble finding it the first day and made a comment i should have google mapped it, then I would have taken steps to make sure I could find it the second day.

Bigdawg

Just Me
It might just be me but if I knew I had trouble finding it the first day and made a comment i should have google mapped it, then I would have taken steps to make sure I could find it the second day.

BINGO

That was what prompted the 24 hour comment.

I feel sorry for him in a way - I have a pretty good idea that he needed the job based on the original email/resume he sent. But no matter the stress, burning bridges is never a good idea.

Pat Whatley

lol what an idiot ........... I do not have a boss lmao ........... what it sounds like is .... what it sounds like ...... most "bosses" ... should not even be in the position they're in. But that's another issues all together ...

The Peter Principle - in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence

WrapperX

The rhetorical comment was cocky and unprofessional. Maybe the boss could have lightened up a bit instead of attacking the prospect and at least conducted an interview. Many in the SIGN biz are cocky, attacking and condescending ... I have no doubt there is a second side to this story. And that's the reason I took a different position

We hardly know what the tone of the "boss" was. So to immediately assume it was condasending and all that is just ignorant. But the point being he was running late the day before because he couldn't find them. The wise thing woulda been to spend the time the day before and find the location. Don't wait until the next day to start looking again. You have said twice now that you plan ahead, get directions, and show up to new interviews 15 mins early. That shows good character and initiative. This guy doesn't do that. Had that oppertunity 24 hrs before to locate the business and then make amends for being late the day before by showing up early on the 2nd day. What ever the situation was, the fact remains that the interviewee had 24hrs to find the location and prepare. He didn't and then on top of it, after being late came up with the same excuse. I'm sure it wouldn't have been the last excuse you got from him if he was hired either.

He was bound to be trouble and you, Big Dawg, were lucky to discover HIS mistep before you got to far into it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Sounds like someone had a bad experience recently with his boss :x

lol what an idiot ........... I do not have a boss lmao

i took it as a crack on you and your PA girlfriend....

not saying that's what i think or what the poster meant, just how i took it....

WildWestDesigns

You know my mom always said: "You get mad, you lose. Doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, you lose".

I don't tolerate anyone being late, not myself not others. Now, things do happen and as long as communication is kept up that isn't an issue, which should be very easy in this day and age of cell phones and text msgs and all that jazz.

This is an employeer's market now for hiring, that means that a little more ass kissing is going to have to go on. Not fun, not good, but there are times when that does happen.

I can understand SignTech's argument with regard to bosses and their god complex. The ole ball and chain has to deal with one now, thankfully she is getting promoted and dealing with someone else that has a better reputation among the working stiffs. Unfortunately, you have to play the game and deal with those bosses until you are hopefully able to move out and up or maybe just out of there to something of equal value. My dad was very good at playing this game with clients, I'm getting there, but nowhere near as good as he is/was (semi-retired now).

S

SignTech

The Peter Principle - in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence

lol .......... are you suggesting I am incompetent? Or that your are all knowing and super competent? Not sure exactly what your hidden message is.

In emergency services I can assure those in the higher ups smoked cigars and played the politician game ... and when asked to actually perform at the street level they would fail every time ...... happens in the corporate office everyday too ........ and yes even in sign shops ..... not all leaders and "bosses" of course ....... some are great ... but most suck ....... sorry that was the best word I could muster at this time.

HulkSmash

We hardly know what the tone of the "boss" was. So to immediately assume it was condasending and all that is just ignorant. But the point being he was running late the day before because he couldn't find them. The wise thing woulda been to spend the time the day before and find the location. Don't wait until the next day to start looking again. You have said twice now that you plan ahead, get directions, and show up to new interviews 15 mins early. That shows good character and initiative. This guy doesn't do that. Had that oppertunity 24 hrs before to locate the business and then make amends for being late the day before by showing up early on the 2nd day. What ever the situation was, the fact remains that the interviewee had 24hrs to find the location and prepare. He didn't and then on top of it, after being late came up with the same excuse. I'm sure it wouldn't have been the last excuse you got from him if he was hired either.

He was bound to be trouble and you, Big Dawg, were lucky to discover HIS mistep before you got to far into it.

:goodpost:

S

SignTech

i took it as a crack on you and your PA girlfriend....

not saying that's what i think or what the poster meant, just how i took it....

Ohhh ....... interesting take ........ PA was a long time ago ... and she wasn't my boss we were partners and very equal in decision making ........ but if a crack on that era ...... so be it, I'll stay on point.

petepaz

keep a keen eye out to make sure he isn't waiting in the parking lot... you know how those crazies are .... although he may have trouble finding you again..haha

earplug

Here is an actual Craigslist ad.

Give me Job (Denver)

Date: 2011-03-31, 10:03AM MDT
Reply To This Post

I is looking for a new job.
I is a good worker and have succeded in the field of auto repare and manuel labor.
It was unfortinate that I get fired from my last job tow weeks ago becuase of a accidntal incident with my boss. He yell at me an I push him and he push me back and then i unintentinally brake his jaw. I is a good worker but dont like get yelled at.
If you give me job I do a grate job for you but please dont yell at me. Then I is fine with job and company where I do my best beleve me.
And even thogh I need job I wont work for peenuts. I do good work and want good pay. I got family to fed.
Make me offer and remember no yelling.

it's ok to contact this poster if you are a potential employer or other principal
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job seeker.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2297173935

iSign

Signtech, the short iPHone version... you still have a big mouth and a narrow view and a short fuse... But that chip on your shoulder is frikkin massive dude...

By the way, try looking up "Peter Principal" ( or any other thing you don't understand, before that fuse and chip of yours makes a fool of you again) and you will realize
You just fought back with the only guy agreeing with your emotionally charged self righteous position on this thread...

S

SignTech

For the record Big Dawg the opposite happens in the real world too. So I can understand a prospectives frustration also. Maybe you thwarted and idiot ... very cool ... but I don't find it humorous at all.

From the other side, I professionally contacted a local sign co. here in Rochester on ****** Blvd., I will strictly avoid naming names, since one of the biggest s101 member is aware and part of that company.

I dropped off a formal resume', provided a digital resume' .... shook hands, spoke politely for a little while with the "boss" ...... complimented his establishment ... etc ... al the normal BS dance ...

Was called 4 months later (because this massively busy sign shop-was not busy at all), and I was asked to fill in on a project on a Wednesday. The "boss" complains that he can't keep installation helpers for some ODD reason ...

I agree despite the insulting rate of pay (flag one).... (even though he said 'you do good work and have a ton of experience' we usually pay our guys 9 bucks an hour but you're worth at least 11 lol) ... so I agreed to get my feet wet and see what this guy/Company has to offer.

He calls me up the following Friday (two days later) and cancels ......... say's his schedule is all screwed up, BUT can I be ready Monday? I pause ...... OK sure let's shoot for Monday ....

I personally canceled two other photo appointments (with MY customers) so far for this guy. He calls Sunday evening at 9PM ... ohh ... so sorry I have to cancel Monday but I will call you in a couple days ... hang in there ....... one week goes by .... nothing. And this is the "boss" / owner. Never again will I consider this mess of a sign company.

I can certainly understand frustration on the employees end ... not that I condone yelling at the boss, I don't ........... I thought this company in Rochester was "all that" turns out ........ it's not "all that" at all ....... but didn't realize until I set foot in there.

So ........... I KNOW for a fact in the sign BIZ there are two sides to every glory story ....... meaning, I aim to bet there is more to most stories like this one. Not an attack on your story personally. ;)

S

SignTech

Signtech, the short iPHone version... you still have a big mouth and a narrow view and a short fuse... But that chip on your shoulder is frikkin massive dude...

By the way, try looking up "Peter Principal" ( or any other thing you don't understand, before that fuse and chip of yours makes a fool of you again) and you will realize
You just fought back with the only guy agreeing with your emotionally charged self righteous position on this thread...

iSign c'mon man ......... there is no short fuse, my sentence structure is calm and accurate.

And really? 4 years later you're casting a stone about short fuses, big mouths and narrow views?

You know better then that ... you've hated me since day one and I don't give a rats ass (said in a calm loving way) ..... what you hate the most ... is my forwardness and that I am a bullies, bully. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.