• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to glue coroplast together?

parrott

Use silicone 1 (or is it 2?). There is a specific one that works. I can tell you locktite does not work.

SignosaurusRex

How are you using the coro and in what configuration are you needing to glue? Exposure and life expectancy is another consideration. In some cases we use Hot glue gun with a glue stick compound / heat setting compatible to the project needs, sometimes a D/S membrane tape, sometimes a liquid or gel base, sometimes a caulk gun / tube type.

wedosigns

Ok, what I am doing is making some a-frames out of 10 mil coro. At the top is where 2 pieces attach to form the handle and hinge.
I do appreciate the input on the silicone, but I do not trust silicone to last longer than the bank takes to clear the check.
I installed residential windows in the past life, lol. I am used to using thermoplastic caulking, which is like an elastic when dried, but will melt coro. Any silicone I have used will last 2-6 weeks before giving up.
I have read that I have to torch the coro to take off some layer of chemical that is applied at the factory. I have not tried to torch it yet, but need to know what type of glue to apply.
The area I am trying to fuse together is 3" tall by 24" wide.
I do need it to last as it is a very good customer, where I am able to use one of his two bays ANYTIME to apply wraps.
Thanks for the input!
Bruce

Pat Whatley

Any silicone I have used will last 2-6 weeks before giving up.

After gluing together thousands and thousands and thousands of real estate signs when we had our screenprinting shop open and we always used Silicone 1. Never had an order come back because the signs came apart and believe me, realtors dang sure would have let us know. I've never heard of torching coro....we'd just grab a stack, print them and glue them.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I have read that I have to torch the coro to take off some layer of chemical that is applied at the factory. I have not tried to torch it yet, but need to know what type of glue to apply.
Bruce

You're probably talking about corona treating the surface. It raises the dyne level (a way of measuring the surface tension of plastic).

We'll flame the surface of older plastic before we print on it if it has been sitting in the shop for a while. This helps with adhesion of ink and furthermore would probably help with the adhesion of adhesives in theory.

To answer your question, we always used double sided tape like VBH.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not tired it myself but one professional sticker maker recommended wheat glue in graphics production.......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Also, after gluing thousands of stands, easels and other Cor-X to Cor-X for whatever reason.... double sided tape works fine and so does the hot glue gun. Never had an issue, unless we put them on crooked.

wedosigns

Thanks for the ideas!
I am going to go with the double sided tape, no smell, no drying times, and I got lots of it, lol.
Thanks guys!
Bruce

Billct2

Wow, zombie thread, lots of familiar and some long gone faces.
We use cheap dbl stick foam tape.