• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How to make a sale?

Billct2

Find business that need their sign refurbished, go in with a card and a smile and offer to give them a free quote if they ever want to refresh their sign

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I suppose the "push" is there but it's usually hidden in the education. The ultimate goal is to make sure the client continues to echo your message long after you leave. In a sense, they set the hook themselves.

I've yet to see a beer or fancy car commercial flat-out asking you to buy. It's always subtly built into the narrative.

JB
Depends on who you are selling to. Generally to be a high producing sales rep, you have to turn up the heat and push people once you figure out what you have that they can use. It might be uncomfortable for some people but that is the name of the game and you are there to win, not just participate. I got quite a few customers simply by calling them out when they bought something from a competitor. The approach was light hearted so they wouldn't be put off but the message was clear. The next go around, they will usually throw you a bone. Then you are in.

gnubler

I have done freebies and still do. Throw someone some hard hat stickers or whatever on some wasted print area. Those little things go a long way.
I do this all the time and people are thrilled. There's always some extra space on printed vinyl to make a couple dozen stickers of the customer's logo. I tell them they can use them for giveaways or to personalize coffee mugs/water bottles. Some of them turn into actual orders because they want more stickers.

Pski89

Any of these suggestions so far will help, but after looking at your profile, I have a really serious question for you......... what can you do and can you do it well ?? Having all the toys and whatnot, doesn't make a signshop. Those are the tools. Take a long hard look at yourself and your actual capabilities and be brutally honest with yourself and figure out what YOU can offer people, once you lure them in.

Getting customers the first time around isn't hard, not if you're good, but keeping them is even harder. That's how you build a clientele and a reputation. I still have customers after over 40 years years and we joke about how old we're getting and still doing this sh!t. Them selling houses, food or whatever and me still doing signs. Then, it always turns to what meds you're now taking, your last operation or grandkids.

It's a great ride, so make it a good one for you, too.
Take a look at my instagram, I had to update it

I do not have a bunch of experience, I know how to print, cut, weed and apply to vehicles, however i KNOW i do not want to do full car wraps, as that is very tricky, I have done well with some signs, Cora plex, aluminum, b-bond, etc. Stickers im good with. I can do window, door and other types of decals fine

Pski89

I'm now 68 and over time I've started 3 businesses, sold two and downsized the third so I have something to do in semi retirement. You need to "put yourself out there" in any way possible. Ads in free papers, market place, Ebay etc or just look around for a place that you think could do with your services and go tell them. Maybe a store front with shabby signage, just pop in and tell them "If ever you think about maybe a new sign give me a try" and leave them a card.
Always remember the worst thing that can happen is they tell you to f*** **f, that's the worst, so get yourself out and let the world know you exist.
Thats the scary part.. I dont want to upset/anger anyone, Just want to make nice signage and stickers for them!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Cultivate your google page. Post lots of photos of work you are doing. Ask friends to give you 5 star reviews on google. When you do get customers, if they love the work ask them for a 5 star review in exchange for a small discount. Or just ask for a 5 star review.
Go to chamber of commerce meetings. I have friends who have become members of the chamber and they have gotten business that way.

gnubler

Take a look at my instagram, I had to update it
Personally, I got zero value out of Instagram and finally took down my page. It takes way too much time to keep it updated. Others here really push for the Google page/business profile, seems to be the best tool currently and I want to improve mine. Once you get busy you just won't have time to be dinking around on social media, and an outdated social page just looks unprofessional.

netsol

Any of these suggestions so far will help, but after looking at your profile, I have a really serious question for you......... what can you do and can you do it well ?? Having all the toys and whatnot, doesn't make a signshop. Those are the tools. Take a long hard look at yourself and your actual capabilities and be brutally honest with yourself and figure out what YOU can offer people, once you lure them in.
Getting customers the first time around isn't hard, not if you're good, but keeping them is even harder. That's how you build a clientele and a reputation. I still have customers after over 40 years years and we joke about how old we're getting and N'T still doing this sh!t. Them selling houses, food or whatever and me still doing signs. Then, it always turns to what meds you're now taking, your last operation or grandkids.
(W
It's a great ride, so make it a good one for you, too.
Great advice Gino. There is almost no toy that is not part of my collection. But, the first time I attempt. Producing each type of product, there can be a steep learning curve. As it turns out, decades of repairing this stuff DOESN'T make you an advanced user. (who would have guessed?)
Pski89, find a niche,

netsol

Nope. I specifically mention the Google business page for maps and search, nothing to do with Google ads...
yes, i often wondered how that works.

i am not really interested in doing this. we choose the repetitive purchase client we want and pursue them, rather than wait for them to come to us

my consulting business was the same way. our condo association president always asked why someone whose 2nd business was a sign business NEVER PUT UP a sign himself.
answer was simple, if we want a customer we pursue them. no interest in a random customer walking through my door. also no interest in a (probable) one time purchaser)
let some one else print "Happy Birthday Patty!"
I would rather have the person renting patty's family the room for the party, work with them on a tighter margin, or kick back a fixed % and use their proven marketing for a stream of customers

rjssigns

Find business that need their sign refurbished, go in with a card and a smile and offer to give them a free quote if they ever want to refresh their sign
This right here^^^^^

Once you are in the closing phase try and get them to sign up for a maintenance contract. Learned that last bit from and old time sign guy. Made good coin with that "add on".

Stacey K

I like making signs
Word of mouth, FB ads and like someone said get your Google listing up to date, add a couple photos of some work you've done. I never cold called because I'm uncomfortable doing that as I'm a bit shy.

netsol

This right here^^^^^

Once you are in the closing phase try and get them to sign up for a maintenance contract. Learned that last bit from and old time sign guy. Made good coin with that "add on".
do you really think that someone who has never put a dime into their sign is going to be ripe for a continuing expense, as opposed to being a "break & fix" client, as they are referred to in the IT business. if they were inclined that way, they would already have a contract in place, i would think

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
do you really think that someone who has never put a dime into their sign is going to be ripe for a continuing expense, as opposed to being a "break & fix" client, as they are referred to in the IT business. if they were inclined that way, they would already have a contract in place, i would think
When I sold construction equipment, the guys with the old beat up garbage were a waste of time. Put your efforts towards selling to people with nice new stuff because they are the ones who buy and spend the money on new things.

netsol

When I sold construction equipment, the guys with the old beat up garbage were a waste of time. Put your efforts towards selling to people with nice new stuff because they are the ones who buy and spend the money on new things.
you end up with 2 extremes, the people who would never work without a contract & the people who would not purchase one if you held a gun to their head

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Odd, but you don't practice what you preach, not in the slightest. Not one iota.

No one is really agreeing with you, but yet, you keep harping on the same kinda ideas..... over and over. You don't really finish any of your thoughts, but just throw a lotta sh!t around and seems like you're hoping something will eventually stick. So, why are you wasting your time trying to change everyone over to your way of doing things, when it's obvious no one concurs with you ??

Instead of pointing out the obvious in everyone else's errors, why not suggest how to help the OP ?? Perhaps, try another appraoch.

Pski89

Thanks for the replies, I have taken many of the different advices, and hey. got a sale.. what the heck.. it worked.. I added graphics to my truck, only fill my truck with half a tank, and park next to trucks/cars with existing graphics on it and just stand outside pumping gas (slower setting) and let them approach me.. and they actually want graphics/signs.. and the approach of simply introducing myself and not actively attempt to make a sale also is a good tip. I don't want to go into extreme detail, but for others that are seeking a way to get started.. this stuff works..

I will say the hardest things hands down, is the cold approach, or starting a discussion, even when they approach me, but I decided to just make a comment off the bat, to break my own tension, and once you get going its no so bad.

so again to the majority, thanks for valued input!

tulsagraphics

Saturn,
When you say google business is the modern equivilent of the yellow pages, you mean over priced advertising that almost never brings in enough business to cover it's cost?

Sorry, we were just discussing how the yellow pages was great,if you were selling it. Not so much if you were paying for it

In those years, we were in the New Brunswick, nj area (Rutgers, Johnson & Johnson) but only really made out because we also advertised in the north jersey business to business and the Princeton, nj books
Google My Business is free (like Yelp, but with a much larger audience). Just sign up, create your profile and kindly ask your best (most satisfied) clients to leave a review for you. Over time it will make a huge difference. Of course, you always have the option of using their paid ad system (Google Ads), but it isn't necessary or required.